Motorcraft fl-820-s cut open.....kinda funky...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DSparks
7000 miles in a clean engine too long?...come on guys really...

I agree, I've ran 8k-9k OCI's with GM vehicles (as per their OLM). The Fram and AC Delco cartridge filters from an Ecotec were never wavy. On a 5.3 Silverado I only opened one filter, a Bosch (made by Purolator, PureONE level media) after ~9k and it looked fine. A minor amount of wavy media but not as much as that Motorcraft. 7k should be no problem, the Ford OLM is likely to go 7k-10k for most drivers.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: DSparks
7000 miles in a clean engine too long?...come on guys really...
I agree, I've ran 8k-9k OCI's with GM vehicles (as per their OLM). The Fram and AC Delco cartridge filters from an Ecotec were never wavy. On a 5.3 Silverado I only opened one filter, a Bosch (made by Purolator, PureONE level media) after ~9k and it looked fine. A minor amount of wavy media but not as much as that Motorcraft. 7k should be no problem, the Ford OLM is likely to go 7k-10k for most drivers.

+3 - Here is the same filter at 10,020 miles and here is another at 15,372 miles. Both of them look better than this one at 7K, however, I think my engine is either much cleaner than this one or I do wonder if the viscosity of the oil made any difference in how the filter media reacted (stressed).

Originally Posted By: daman
Looks like moisture is present.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Wavy pleats are not the calamity that some believe they are. Don't worry about it.

Agree with the above comments, plus it doesn't show any of the tearing issue. I'm not switching from MC yet...

It did its job without tearing
I dont really care what it looks like as long as it works
A filter has the nastiest job to do on an engine
I use Motorcrafts and dont lose any sleep

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
It did its job without tearing
I dont really care what it looks like as long as it works
A filter has the nastiest job to do on an engine
I use Motorcrafts and dont lose any sleep

Nothing wrong with MC, but I no longer use them past 10K (even though I have done it in the past). I prefer the security of wire backed media for an OCI that is above 10K.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
they are both made by tearolater... Once a good filter now i would never use them

Ditto.

Wavy pleats are a precursor to tearing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back