Does Oil Filter Efficiency Increase with Usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per the subject, is this the case?

The obvious benefits to me of going two OCIs on a filter are economic, and the fact that you're doing one less start on a dry filter (if you don't pre-fill them, and if you belong to the pre-fill school anyway).

But does the efficiency of the filter increase, or is that just with air filters?

Same is true for oil filter. As the media plugs up with debris, the filter becomes more efficient, but flow may be reduced.

Media does not do the filtration, the "cake" is what does the actual filtration. Media is just the substrate to build the cake. And the pressure drop increases slowly until a critical point when pressure drop is too high and then there is a problem, and it must be replaced.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Same is true for oil filter air filter. As the media plugs up with debris, the filter becomes more efficient, but flow may be reduced.

Fixed it for you.
grin2.gif

Filters(oil, air, cabin, furnace ...) are more efficient with usage but flow is reducing as miles added up.

In a clean engine there isn't much debris to filter as long as you have good engine air filtering.

That is what happens so to speak. Gets more efficient to some extent and then restricts proper flow of the air or liquid. Hard to know when that actually happens. Have had my lawn mower air filter clog up with grass debris to the point that the engine ran really, really bad. Do not want that to happen to my car with any filter on it. Therefore, I change them when visibly dirty, or at least clean the air filter out while inspecting the engine. With the oil filter, I usually go 2 intervals and change. Never more than 12k miles or so. Cabin air filters change at about 20k miles and fuel filters from time to time.

Does anyone have any quantifiable proof that this is the case? The dirtier a filter gets (air or oil) the less efficient it becomes. I definetely pre-fill my oil filters everytime, but I would never use one for more than one OCI. I would rather pay an extra 10 bucks and have clean media to filter oil through.

Per a Purolator Engineer: The "Hockey Stick" Curve

"The efficiency is highest at the beginning (before the media is attacked by oil and acidity) and again at the end as contamination does improve efficiency."

"Typically from the graphs I see, efficiency at the end of life is slightly less than a new filter."

I finally found the thread that had stuck in my mind. It seems to me that "MotorKing" is refuting the idea of oil (but not air) filter efficiency increasing over time.

Am I misunderstanding his point?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3557319/Re:_Reuse_a_used_oil_filter_fo#Post3557319

Since joining this site I've read many long time and well respected members say an oil filter becomes more efficient (including this recent post example) with use. I also believe this to be the case. Obviously that would be up till the point of reaching it's holding capacity. Which most on this forum with well maintained engines rarely if ever reach.

And for the efficiency of Honda A02 and Toyota Denso OEM, that would be the only hope for improving on their meager efficiency ratings.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Since joining this site I've read many long time and well respected members say an oil filter becomes more efficient (including this recent post example) with use. I also believe this to be the case. Obviously that would be up till the point of reaching it's holding capacity. Which most on this forum with well maintained engines rarely if ever reach.

And for the efficiency of Honda A02 and Toyota Denso OEM, that would be the only hope for improving on their meager efficiency ratings.

Thanks for that link. He definitely speaks with authority.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Per a Purolator Engineer: The "Hockey Stick" Curve

"The efficiency is highest at the beginning (before the media is attacked by oil and acidity) and again at the end as contamination does improve efficiency."

"Typically from the graphs I see, efficiency at the end of life is slightly less than a new filter."

I heard this too. Compared to air filters, which we all expect to have a monotonic rise in filtering efficiency with use, OIL filters seem to soak their cellulose paper and partially weaken them, which means pores can open up a bit, reducing effeciency. With use of more synthetic media fibers, this might not be the case at all. The Purolator engineer might be talking about paper cellulose filters only there.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: sayjac

Thanks for that link. He definitely speaks with authority.

You're welcome and I agree.

The Ryco Filter site linked also agrees and says the same.

"The higher the efficiency, the higher the % of dirt retained by the filter. Filters are least efficient when new and become most efficient just before "plugging"."

http://www.rycofilters.com.au/products/faqs

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Oh great, now who do we believe? The Purolator Engineer or the Ryco filter site.

ROD

Believe the Purolator engineer, not dnewton3 or the Ryco website. Purolator actually observed their efficiency curves, and the others are merely assuming, guessing.

^^^ Yep, Purolator has lab test data showing the filter is more efficient in the beginning and the end of the filter's life, and their response (posted previously in this thread) to the question was based on measured data, not somebodies "theory". Just sayin'. And yes, this may only be for cellulose type media and not full synthetic media.

There are a few SAE studies (the GM study and a Cummins study) that specifically prove that efficiency improves with use.

In the GM study, they clearly showed that both a 40um filter and a 15um filter ended up with a final efficiency effective at 10um, and then the improvement stopped. Obviously, it took longer for the 40um filter to reach that same pore size, but they both ended up about at the same place.

As much as some of these filter studies are horribly misunderstood (and incorrectly applied to many conversations), this is one topic that the studies showed incredible accuracy and good data.

Now, those filters had no bp valve on them, and they were run in lab systems, so the data isn't really directly applicable to every situation, but generally it does show that continued use will load the media, thereby improving efficiency.

To get the media to load in this manner, the sump systems for the engines were (and I cannot add enough emphasis here ...) HEAVILY, GROSSLY OVERLOADED with dust particulate. What they did in no way represented real world contamination. The upside here is that extending you "normal" 5k mile OCI to perhaps 10k or 15k miles probably isn't going to ever overload your media as was done in the lab testing. But the downside is that your "normal" particulate load will also not show nearly as great a benefit, because the loading will never be as high as the lab tests. What is reasonable to conclude is that (as long as you don't operate a sludger engine or totally neglect your ride), an FCI extension is safe to do.

Yes - filters get more efficient as they age.
Yes - an FCI extension of moderate distance (2x or perhaps 3x) is going to be safe.
No - you'll not see a shift in efficiency anywhere near as great as the GM study showed because, hopefully, you'll NEVER see the kind of particulate loading they purposely induced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Originally Posted By: rrounds
Oh great, now who do we believe? The Purolator Engineer or the Ryco filter site.

ROD

Believe the Purolator engineer, not dnewton3 or the Ryco website. Purolator actually observed their efficiency curves, and the others are merely assuming, guessing.

Not disagreeing with anyone, but if efficiency increased in correlation with use, would it be nearly 100% efficient before clogging up and going into full bypass?

Obviously we have no way of knowing when this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back