Is Royal Purple worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short answer.

A third party blended product from Calumet Specialty Products Partners that has almost nothing in common with the original Royal Purple other than the product is purple and cost over 10.00 a quart is not worth it.

I have Pennzoil Ultra that I paid less than 1/3 of this "sale" price. There is no value to this "deal" IMO.

Royal Purple filters use the finest synthetic media of any filter on the market but still only one layer instead of two, so I don't know if they can compare to the FU which is 99% efficient at 20 microns and above. The royal purple is only 99% at 25 microns which could be a much lower number at 20-24 microns. Most any filter hits 99% efficient at 30 microns so what are they at 20?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: Shannow

But I can't justify using their engine oils (or their super filters)

Maybe you can't, but apparently many others can.

RP net sales:

2009: $72.5 M
2010: $86.8 M
2011: $109.5 M

I am willing to bet the 2012 and 2013 sales have increased even more!

Man thats gotta HURT all the RP haters!
lol.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
If you believe $110 Million is anything but a drop in the bucket in the PCMO market.

This explains why Royal Purple was acquired by Calumet.

This is not a horrible deal, but not all that great.
The RP oil filter appears to be a good one, but so are a host of other higher tier filters.
RP API SN appears to be a decent oil, but certainly no better than a host of other API SN synthetics.
Overall, not worth the money from my wallet, but if you have a burning desire to run this oil and filter, then why not?
Synpower has a very similar add pack and is around twenty five bucks at Walmart. I've recently seen Fram Ultras as low as $5.99 after MIR, so you could be running a combo just as good for considerably less coin.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Royal Purple filters use the finest synthetic media of any filter on the market but still only one layer instead of two, so I don't know if they can compare to the FU which is 99% efficient at 20 microns and above. The royal purple is only 99% at 25 microns which could be a much lower number at 20-24 microns. Most any filter hits 99% efficient at 30 microns so what are they at 20?

They likely use Donaldson's media, the same as used by AMSOIL and probably many others. Arguably the best synthetic media out there, but RP certainly isn't the only one using it.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Someone just posted the Pep Boys ad and one of there deals is 5 quarts of Royal Purple AND a Royal Purple filter for $39.99, no doubt a great deal for Royal Purple. The question is, is this oil really worth it? I am currently running TGMO 0w20 and a Fram Ultra in the Accord, I like the combo. I wouldnt mind trying something different though. Anybody used Royal Purple, specifically in the 0w20 or 5w20 weights? Also, has anybody used the Royal Purple filters and had issues with those? Thanks! If it really is as great as some make it seem, I wouldnt mind paying a couple extra dollars and giving it a shot.

Sooooo,did you give it a shot or what?!
grin2.gif

I purchased 6-quarts of 5w30 HPS with synerlec for $42.01 & FREE Shipping,which includes the FREE Royal Purple oil filter.

As a Canadian, I think it's a good deal and when I head down to Seattle later this month, I'm going to pick up a couple OCIs worth.

In my neck of the woods, RP is $60 OTD for a 5qt jug WITHOUT the filter, so yeah, I think it's a good deal.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

They likely use Donaldson's media, the same as used by AMSOIL and probably many others. Arguably the best synthetic media out there, but RP certainly isn't the only one using it.

I believe RP to be using a proprietary media not exactly like the Donaldson but can't seem to find my older source. In any event if they sandwiched two layers of the media together it would probably increase multi pass efficiency greatly.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I believe RP to be using a proprietary media not exactly like the Donaldson but can't seem to find my older source. In any event if they sandwiched two layers of the media together it would probably increase multi pass efficiency greatly.

I doubt it. Donaldson invented the synthetic glass media and anybody making it, IIRC, is doing so under license from Donaldson. AMSOIL just buys the media from Donaldson and their filters are assembled by WIX or Donaldson, depending on the model. AFAIK Donaldson is the world's largest producer of synthetic glass media, it would not make sense for RP to try and make it in-house financially or logistically, as they don't make the filters in-house either, they are made by Champion.

The filters are probably incredibly similar to the AMSOIL EaO series filters, which isn't a bad thing, they are superb.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
As a Canadian, I think it's a good deal and when I head down to Seattle later this month, I'm going to pick up a couple OCIs worth.

In my neck of the woods, RP is $60 OTD for a 5qt jug WITHOUT the filter, so yeah, I think it's a good deal.

Did you miss the 50% off sale on PP as well as Formula1 about half a month ago? It makes this sale look like all the other brands normal price.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: sir1900

Did you miss the 50% off sale on PP as well as Formula1 about half a month ago? It makes this sale look like all the other brands normal price.

I was aware of that sale, but I use 0W20, which CT doesn't have in F1 and in the PP 5L jugs.

For me, it's more-or-less "trying new stuff" so to speak. I'll never notice any difference between one oil versus the other. It's a psychological thing more than anything else.

The filters are top notch that's for sure but I'd like to know efficiency at 20 microns so I can compare it to other filters. 99% at 25 microns could be 95% @20 or 70%@20, who knows?

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
I think RP SL version was the good stuff. I consider RP SN to be "RP light". I think the boutique was eliminated from this oil. Still a good choice but it was better before.

Except that's the issue where the anti-RP crowd speaks out of both sides of their mouths. Before, people groaned that RP was using older API and ILSAC specifications. Now, people are complaining that RP uses current API and ILSAC specifications.

You still can buy non-certified RP in the HPS line, not to mention their dedicated racing oils. So no, it wasn't better before. Oil is rarely "better" in the past. It was different then, and now there are two lines that are suitable for passenger vehicle use. The boutique is still open.

dave1251: Buy RP at regular, Canadian retail prices and then buy PU at regular, Canadian retail prices up here (you'll never find PU anywhere that has a real sale), and I bet you'd be a Royal Purple user in about 3 seconds. Your choices are about $50 for a jug of RP or over $70 for a jug of PU.
wink.gif

Perplexingly, Canadian Tire and Walmart Canada carry RP, but won't carry PU. Up here, RP won't compete well with PP, QSUD, vanilla M1, and black Syntec, particularly when those are on rollback. But, it certainly holds its own in comparison to PU (if it can be found), M1 EP, and the high end Castrol.

Garak, the old API SL RP with Synerlec seemed as though it might be worth a premium, which was substantial as compared to almost any other syn. For RP money, one could have run Red Line and still could.
I wouldn't have hesitated to run it in any car we have other than the '12 Accord, although all of those spec an API SL or earlier. Even our '09 Subaru allows for the use of an API SL.
I would have loved to have tried a few runs of that oil followed with a UOA, although I never parted with the cash to do so.
The API SN stuff just seems like nothing special, certainly not for the money.
I'm not anti-RP, I'm just being realistic and even the current nothing special API SN stuff is still premium priced.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Garak, the old API SL RP with Synerlec seemed as though it might be worth a premium, which was substantial as compared to almost any other syn. For RP money, one could have run Red Line and still could.
I wouldn't have hesitated to run it in any car we have other than the '12 Accord, although all of those spec an API SL or earlier. Even our '09 Subaru allows for the use of an API SL.
I would have loved to have tried a few runs of that oil followed with a UOA, although I never parted with the cash to do so.
The API SN stuff just seems like nothing special, certainly not for the money.
I'm not anti-RP, I'm just being realistic and even the current nothing special API SN stuff is still premium priced.

I agree.
The RP SN stuff is nothing special when compared to comparable products like pp or M1,but it's certainly not inferior in any way.
The stuff with synerlec is special though.

Of coarse it's better because it's purple and my Brad Penn is better because it's green doesn't everybody know that?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back