OEM Renault-Purflux LS218 vs AZ generic [Cut open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I changed the oil in my Renault Clio after rainwater went inside the engine when I was changing the timing belt. When I went to buy the oil at Autozone they gave me for free a generic filter that I thought I will end up using it eventually, but for that change I used the OEM filter that I already had. Upon closer inspection of the generic filter I saw that the threads had a lot of metal shavings, and I think metal shavings are not a good sign. So I decided to offer the filter as a sacrifice to the oil gods and compare it to the filter that I removed from my car.

The OEM filter was used for about 7,000 kms with Valvoline Synpower 5W-30. The dimensions are 8.0 cm of diameter and 5.0 cm of height.

Packages and side by side
5jwgoy.jpg

2vanyoy.jpg

205trog.jpg

30nkd1c.jpg

OEM Filter. Renault branded but made by Purflux. The thickness of the canister was 0.68 mm, it has a spring loaded ADBV and chevron pleated media.
m9vwwp.jpg

2s999nn.jpg

2eoxhf7.jpg

ADBV Detail

Generic Filter. Supposedly is made my Bosch. The thickness of the canister was 0.22 mm, it has a normal ADBV and normal pleated media.
1zzsuis.jpg

2u61n5w.jpg

35koi2r.jpg

ADBV Detail

Other difference that I found was that the central tube of the generic is larger in diameter (4.0 vs 3.0 cm)
dp79g5.jpg

2m5cuw7.jpg

The bypass valves seemed to be of the same diameter and open with the same amount of force but I didn't made a trustworthy measurement.

And I was thinking that toyota, honda etc had small oil filters!!!!
crazy.gif

The French broke every record there is!!!

The chevron pleats are a trade-mark of Purflux filters. It is a design that allows for more surface area of the filter media.

In this situation it appears that the AutoZone filter is a good quality product. I am an advocate for using OEM but in this situation I think I'd purchase based on price.

Yeah, the tiny filters from Renault really supprised me. I'd say they're perfect for an engine swapped car or something with little space, if you're stuck with the filter location against a bulkhead or something.

You could upgrade to something taller if there was enough room?
smile.gif
almost all French cars seem to use the same filter base (m20x1,5 thread and 76mm can diameter.)
For example the Purflux LS867B (or equivalent, like the MANN 712/8 I currently have), is 85mm tall instead of 50..

I really wonder though how this filter "works", does it rely more on the oil dispersants keeping the particles small? Does it have bigger pores to keep up with the required flowrate? Are the big tall filters most cars run overkill for the OCI's they get?
Renault cars don't seem to have a problem, they are usually let down by rust and weird electrical issues long before the engine ever gives up..

Last edited:
Renaults were a disaster in the USA. Right up there with the Yugo(a Fiat design I think). You are oh so right about being weird..Nice looking filter though. I have never seen that spring arrangement before. Regards

That Generic AZ filter looks like a re-branded Purolator L10101. This is just a much shorter version of the Purolator L30001, commonly used on older Ford products. The Ford guys use this size filter on some applications where there is a clearance problem when using the longer filter.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Renaults were a disaster in the USA. Right up there with the Yugo(a Fiat design I think). You are oh so right about being weird..

I'm gonna guess you didn't get much renault after the 80's (with the renault 5 (sold as "lecar" there))
Todays Renaults are okay, much was learned from the late 90's/00's, when they had massive electrical/canbus issues, making the cars pretty unreliable, but never the engines fault. Things like the key transponder system breaking and locking the ecu, making it impossible to start, stuff like that.
One other selling point was the crash safety, they got really good at that.
Oh, and Renault actually makes engines, and gearboxes, for lots of other car and truck manifacturers too.

Yugo, yeah, I heard that wasn't a succes..

Originally Posted By: AlexanderB
I'm gonna guess you didn't get much renault after the 80's (with the renault 5 (sold as "lecar" there))

Quite correct. It was the same up here in Canada.

I showed the pictures to a buddy of mine, and he thought that Renault didn't even exist any longer. Sheesh.

I really don't understand why Renault (which bought Nissan) doesn't sell select Renault models though the Nissan dealer network in the USA? Some of their current vehicles are really quite good, the newest Twingo is amazing a rear wheel drive subcompact that has outstanding reviews and performance for such a small car.

price!for car manufacturer its called diminishing return,if it was for a 370 ?they might import a specific thing but for a versa note ?rofl ,they ll say YOU (THE OWNER)go bother playing the elitist!

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
price!for car manufacturer its called diminishing return,if it was for a 370 ?they might import a specific thing but for a versa note ?rofl ,they ll say YOU (THE OWNER)go bother playing the elitist!

You are not considering that Renault does produce several models in Mexico, just like Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, and VW does. I believe that the new Twingo is one of them.

That makes it cost effective to offer those models here in the USA, if they were brought from France or Europe it might not be possible due to costs.

What I didn't like about the AZ filter were the metal shavings in the threads; which could be a minor thing, but for an OCD person like me is a failure; and the normal or retail price is not competitive enough, the OEM filter cost me the equivalent of $6.50 USD and price for the Autozone is $6.20 USD. I will use the generic only if I get it for free with the oil.

I don't think there is enough space for a bigger filter as the alternator is very close to the filter. But next time I remove the filter I will see how much space there is in reality.

I think the main problem for Renault to sell in the US again is the amount of money necessary to start a brand from zero. Some will say that is because the FMVSS vs. the UNECE rules, but since Ford or Fiat could transform an UNECE car (Fiesta, 500) to comply with the FMVSS with a relatively small amount of time and money, one would expect that Renault could do the same. But in reality they really sell in the US via shared platforms and components with Nissan.

Renault doesn't produce anything in Mexico anymore (with the Renault logo), in the past they used to make the Clio (like the one I own) but since the 08 crisis they reduced their presence as a brand in here. Almost everything they sell here as Renault is from the brand Dacia.

The New Twingo is a great car but I doubt they will sell it here, I think the best chance the Twingo has to make it to North America is via Mercedes Benz as the Smart Forfour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back