Who Makes What Filter? - One more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any recent news on Mazda OEM filters? Speicifically the cartridge filter for the mazda6. I'm pretty sure it is not Motorcraft from the looks of them.

I just cut open a Donaldson P550965 Oil Filter. This is an FL-820S alternative. The filter was clearly labeled as being made BY Donaldson in Mexico. Pictures of the cut open filter are at http://home.earthlink.net/~cewhite3nc/id14.html . What makes this very intresting is a comaprison to an Amsoil EaO11 filter (see http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/id3.html ). The two filters were clearly manufactured by the same producers. The Donaldson version has some downgraded components (media and ADBV) but the major metal stampings are identical. Since Donaldson clearly claims to make their filter, I would assume that they also make the Amsoil EaO11 Oil Filter, and probbaly other versions of the Amsoil EaO filter line as well. Interestingly, I cannot find a country of origin statement on the Amsoil filter or box. I assume if these filters were produced in the US, they would say so - almost everyone else filter include a country of origina statemeent. Even Denso doesn't mind claiming there filters are madde in Japan or even Thailand. Finally, Amsoil is now selling Donaldson Filters on their website.

Ed

Quote:

I cannot find a country of origin statement on the Amsoil filter or box.

Its on the closed end of the metal can stamped in ink like the Donaldson, small letters blue on black and hard to see unless you look closely.

Some EaO are made in Mexico and some are Made in USA. Donaldson has a plant in Mexico.

I dont like champion filters anymore, I dont like the "installation aid" on the end, it looks freaky and Its got to slow oil flow. That doesnt seem like a good idea to me.

Panzerman. Nothing slows oil flow (in an otherwise sound engine) except too much pressure sending the oil pump into relief. Otherwise ..5pm is 5gpm (pick a number
dunno.gif
)

Quote:

One change...

I think all new Quaker State filters are made by Purolator. You have it listed twice, under both Fram and Purolator. I don't think Fram makes Quaker State filters anymore.

Correct..QS is made by Purolator at this time. Pennzoil is made by Fram.

Quote:

I just wish that each filter site would have pdf of filters that they manufacture or carry with simple statistics, such as GPM flow, relief valve pressure, nominal micron rating + absolute if it applies, burst pressures, filter media. On the last, the filter media, I would think it would be safe to just say "cellulose" or "cellulose mix with synthetic resins" and still not expose their proprietary media.

What about ANSI standards? If someone can put out filters that are paper thin on the shell, with shoddy workmanship on the inside, shouldn't there be specs that provide the U.S. Consumer with that information?

Napa does.

One I can add is that Mopar filters for the Cummins are rebadged Fleetguards (the lower quality ones, not the microglass or stratopores)...

And purolator buys filters from other companies...I know they did source their Cummins fuel filters from Fleetguard (now Cummins Filtration) because the filter was stamped "stratopore by Fleetguard, USA". But the last one I bought was made in Brazil and not a stratopore.

I have pretty much switched to buying all Fleetguard filters (plus the amsoil EaBP bypass). You can get a lot of filter specs from Cummins Filtrations and also Wixfilters.com and napafiltersonline.com .

steved

Viper filters are made by TEC Automotive Industries in Concord, Ontario. I think they're mostly an industrial machinery firm, and filter production is outsourced to factories in Korea and China.

Ed White is probably the only one who knows which filters I'm talking about. It's the filter I run on all my cars, though, since I can pop into their warehouse and buy them for $2.90 CDN, less than half the cost of any other non-Fram filter around here.

Stickies stay at the top of the forum list, so it's useful for common references or a list of rules.

Once it's stickied we don't have to search through the pages to find the thread again.

Quote:

Viper filters are made by TEC Automotive Industries in Concord, Ontario. I think they're mostly an industrial machinery firm, and filter production is outsourced to factories in Korea and China.

Ed White is probably the only one who knows which filters I'm talking about. It's the filter I run on all my cars, though, since I can pop into their warehouse and buy them for $2.90 CDN, less than half the cost of any other non-Fram filter around here.

I can get luberfiner filters which are made by champ labs with their ecore design individually boxed for the same price from a local parts store here in KW area. I think they are much better then fram, havn't had a problem yet with them. How is the construction of these viper oil filters? What would you say they are similar to comparing them to one of the big oil filter manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back