The new ST 3980 is a Ecore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those bypass valves would only open when there is a DIFFERENTIAL pressure of 8-11 PSI across the inlet and outlet. That would only happen if the oil can't get through the media due to media clogging, or when the oil is too thick oil (like at cold startup). The actual pressure that your gauge is showing you is the pressure at the gauge sensor, don't confuse that with pressure drop across the filter. You always have a pressure drop across a filter, but normally it is more like 1-2 PSI under normal conditions. With thick oil or a clogged filter the pressure drop increases and can temporarily hit the point that opens the bypass (either due to long interval OCI where a filter could be clogging, or normal cold startups where the oil is thick until it warms up).

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
Could it be that the bypass and the ADBV are the same component so although it is designed to work as both it can be used in applications where only one is needed?

According to Champion Labs' website, essentially your take is exactly the case. The "extra" bypass valve can do no harm, so why do people make such a big deal out of what amounts to supplementary insurance?
dunno.gif

The only problem that I see, is the "one more piece to go wrong" thing. RayH is correct, an extra bypass is just "supplementary insurance".
As long as it works correctly there is no problem, it would just be a backup to the primary bypass. If they are very low on the quality control scale however some may open earlier (less diff pressure) than they should, and make the bypass condition occur more often than the filter mount bypass would have. That is why I would sit back a bit and let the earliest production runs just go on by. I would hope that the internal bypass is set for a higher diff pressure than the filter mount bypass..

quote:

Originally posted by ZR2RANDO:

As long as it works correctly there is no problem, it would just be a backup to the primary bypass. If they are very low on the quality control scale however some may open earlier (less diff pressure) than they should, and make the bypass condition occur more often than the filter mount bypass would have.

This is kind of what I had in mind but didnt explain it as well.

If the filter goes into by-pass at a lower pressure than the engine mounted by-pass,you have unfiltered oil running through the engine in a larger amount that would be normal.

This worries me.

I don't need an extra bypass valve. The chance of an engine mounted bypass failing is slim to none, and as I've said before it's much superior to ANY in-filter bypass. If anything it gives more of an opportunity for failure. I'm still holding off judgment until I can get my hands on a 3387 size filter, and cut it apart. Last night I was at wal-mart and they had 3980s but not 3387s yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back