oil filter for evo

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing some research, im not sure how much I like my reusable filter that I bought years ago.... the media looks super tiny, almost like cloth, but im not sure if its the best thing for my scoot....

I've been reading lots of good about farm and wix... but some of the numbers im getting are confusing... I think I read this morning that tough guard ph5works for my application but im not positive...

Is there a fan favorite ? The shop I worked before used motorfactory filters but im not fond of them

Found this on another site.

AC Delco PF53
Amsoil SMF135 Yes Black
Amsoil SMF135C Yes Chrome
Amsoil SDF57
Baldwin BT223
Baldwin BT243 Long version
Baldwin B1413 Yes
Bosch 72161
Briggs &Stratton 491056
Castrol CM3614 Max Pro
Castrol CMP3614 Max Pro Plus
Deutsch D366 German made. House brand at Autozone
Donaldson P502016
Fram PH3600 Unable to verify fitment from Fram, but was recommended by user.
Fram PH3614
Fram PH6022 Yes Black
Fram PH6065A Yes Chrome
Fram PH6068 Yes Chrome Longer version of PH6065A
Fram PH8A Larger outside diameter, holds about 1/2 qt. more oil than standard
Hastings LF576 Yes
Jiffy Lube L10241 Made by Purolator
K&N HP1002
Luber-finer PH2835
Mann W71238 German made by Mann & Hummel
Mechanic's Circle MOF3614
Micro-Gard Gl10241
Mobil 1 M1301 Synthetic fiber medium. Larger outside diameter than standard
Motorcraft FL-1A Larger outside diameter, holds about 1/2 qt. more oil than standard
Motorcraft FL793
NAPA 1215 Yes Black Made by Wix.
NAPA 1225 Yes Chrome Made by Wix
NAPA 1348 Made by Wix. "Gold" version - premium
NAPA SF121348 "Silver" version - lower grade
Power Flo SL10241 Made by Purolator
PureONE PL10241
Purolator L10241
Purolator L30001 Larger outside diameter, holds about 1/2 qt. more oil than standard
Purolator ML16822 Yes Black
Purolator ML16822C Yes Chrome
RockHill PF3614 Made by Fram
Ryco Z87A Made in New Zealand. Available in Australia & New Zealand
Ryco Z418 Made in New Zealand. Available in Australia & New Zealand
STP S3614 Made by Fram
Wix 51214 Yes Black Long version of 51215
Wix 51215 Yes Black
Wix 51225 Yes Chrome
Wix 51348
Wix 51348MP 12-Pack

IM really thinking about trying a tough guard filter cause it seems like lots of people use them and love the construction of them

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
IM really thinking about trying a tough guard filter cause it seems like lots of people use them and love the construction of them

There are a wide array of filters that can be utilized in this application -- if you're going to deviate from the OE spec, I'd be inclined to run a FL-400S.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

If the original filter was a Fram 3614 or Purolator 10241,
and there is some room at the top,
then a Fram 3600 or Purolator 20195 should fit.

A third longer, same base, and bypass pressure.

I like the gold Purolator PL20195, best filter for the price.

P/N's 63796-77A (Chrome) and 63805-80A (Black) for the EVO..

63731-99A for the premium Evo filter...

Last edited:
Ok, so right now I have a 400s on my bike. Why? Ironically, I found 2of them and a space age looking Toyota filter in a box in the dumpster at my work NEW IN THE FLIPPING BOX!!!!!

WHATS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!!!

Well, actually it was a gear head guy who had them for a while and doesn't have the car anymore, they were bagged up but never used... so they now are my filters for my scooter....

I'll run them to clean up what the stainless media didn't in my 110evo and come to cross roads with either motorcraft or wix....

I must say, I like the bigger filter.... kinda wish I could relocate the oil filter and use a hardcore turbo diesel filter that holds 2quarts!!!!! Maybe.................

OHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

And I pulled my finger screen out of the tapped hole, and that little screen had so much $h!t in it I almost cried.... I've had the bike for 2 years now and I've done ~~~~5 oil changes, on her.... no idea the mileage from before I bought it, and ran the reusable filter 4changes.... and that small tapped screen was 3/4 clogged from the inside.....

Its sad I worked for a Harley shop and was never told to check that screen, mine had fabric in it, and grit, like metal and dirt... enough to upset me... I took pictures, when I figure how to upload them I'll do it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
If you just want to run a larger filter, why not go with the Motorcraft FL-1A? $3.97 @ Walmart.

No, I want a filter that won't let my motor get eaten to death by crud in the oil....

I was saying I like the bigger filter compared to my reusable one I've had....

And I tried a ph8a and that diameter filter rubs on the case and won't thread up... if something similar was just a touch slimmer it would work.... but im happy with the f400 right now...

Last edited:
I want a filter that won't let my motor get eaten to death by crud in the oil.

Then you made an excellent choice by getting rid of that idiotic reusable filter.

As for removing "crud" from your system, among the best full-flow models would be a Fram XG3600 -- $8.97 @ Walmart. Frankly though, I'd just get a few FL-400S filters and do some short intervals.

I'll burn up the f400 filters and go to the xg3600later on... or stick to f400idk....

It bothered me the other day reading about how poor the screens are with washable filters.... kinda hurt my feelings.... had I known they only catch sand and stuff I can pick out with my fingers I'd never opt for the 86$$$purchase in the first place...

Oh well, looks like I need a build a race bike to utilize this racing filter =)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)

i truly hope that people who read this thread DONT go out and start using the filters the two posters above are talking about!!! these are neither the micron or by-pass/adbv rated for the EVO engine. the poster who said the wix51215 is correct, as is the wix51214 if there is enough space to the stator plug to install it. other manufacturer filters can be used if they meet the micron/by-pass standards for the EVO engine. the filters these 2 are talking about are automotive filters, just because these filters mentioned above have dimensions similar and thread size of the same does not constitute they are appropriate for this engine. use the correct motorcycle filter from whichever manufacturer you choose but do not use automotive or TC filters on this engine. wix are readily available everywhere and are correct for for this engine.

Originally Posted By: skully
i truly hope that people who read this thread DONT go out and start using the filters the two posters above are talking about!!! these are neither the micron or by-pass/adbv rated for the EVO engine. the poster who said the wix51215 is correct, as is the wix51214 if there is enough space to the stator plug to install it. other manufacturer filters can be used if they meet the micron/by-pass standards for the EVO engine. the filters these 2 are talking about are automotive filters, just because these filters mentioned above have dimensions similar and thread size of the same does not constitute they are appropriate for this engine. use the correct motorcycle filter from whichever manufacturer you choose but do not use automotive or TC filters on this engine. wix are readily available everywhere and are correct for for this engine.

I have the f400 on my bike right now... what is the reason it shouldn't be used??? Why is the wiz filter correct and not the motorcraft?

Alright, I'll bite Skully -- could you give some detail as to us why you find the Wix 51215 perfectly acceptable, yet not a FL-400S (other than it being an "automotive filter")?

Hmmm, wix website says the 51214 filter is for Harley Davidson.....

Looks like I'll be heading to oriley in the morning..............

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Alright, I'll bite Skully -- could you give some detail as to us why you find the Wix 51215 perfectly acceptable, yet not a FL-400S (other than it being an "automotive filter")?

I can take a stab and say heat and oil pressure/flow, maybe start up issues

I can take a stab and say heat and oil pressure/flow, maybe start up issues

Which would be...erroneous.

I wonder how he feels about running a "lawn mower filter" (51215, which is utilized on lawn equipment), or "automotive filter" (51214 - given that it's specified for Jaguar as well).

Look forward to hearing his thoughts.

I took a quick spin on an hd forum... figured if auto filters killed motors we'd hear of it there.... found this poll on who uses what... even found a heated argument about (never run a automotive filter on an hd, BECAUSE THEYRE NOT CHROME )

I highly doubt these people are using specific cross referenced filter to spec... so idk if I really need a worry.

I would like to know why the 51214 says Harley specifically, and the cross-reference to the fl400dont...

Harley filter 1,628 59.46%
K&N Filter 513 18.74%
Amsoil filter 215 7.85%
Wix filter 116 4.24%
Fram filter 117 4.27%
Napa filter 25 0.91%
Revtech filter 19 0.69%
Purolator filter 47 1.72%
Hastings filter 2 0.07%
Mobil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.