PEA & Nitrogen additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever tried mixing the fuel with the PEA detergent (Chevron) with one of the nitrogen detergent fuels (Shell/BP)? Would that give me the best of both or would they not work well together? Thinking about trying some Techron Concentrate in my tank with BP gas. What do you engineers think?

If a chemical reaction was the result of Chevrons product with BP gas, I really don't think they would market if as a gas additive. Your going to get crushed like the Bronco's did on this one.....

It's the same thing, just marketing.

Believe it or not, you don't have to be an alchemist when it comes to fuel additives.

Top tier gas contains enough detergent to keep clean (Costco claim theirs will also clean).

Techron complete fuel system cleaner contains enough PEA to do a single tank cleanup (in most cases).

The engineers have actually figured this out for us.

How is nitrogen a detergent? Do they just bubble some nitrogen(gas) through the gasoline? All bull [censored]?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's safe to assume that they're not using gaseous nitrogen. As TrevorS said, it's the same thing. Look at the chemical structure of an amine. No nitrogen, no amine.
wink.gif

Garak is correct. As lubrication enthusiasts, we all could benefit from a crash course in organic chemistry!

Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
How is nitrogen a detergent? Do they just bubble some nitrogen(gas) through the gasoline? All bull [censored]?
21.gif

All bull eh.
Well then why don't you share your wisdom with us since you'd have to be some kind of chemist or engineer to know its "bull"
Do you even understand the whole process and how these chemical engineers enrich fuel with nitrogen,or were you talking when you shouda been listening.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
21.gif

All bull eh.
Well then why don't you share your wisdom with us since you'd have to be some kind of chemist or engineer to know its "bull"
Do you even understand the whole process and how these chemical engineers enrich fuel with nitrogen,or were you talking when you shouda been listening.
I was only asking if it was bull. Note the question mark. I only asked, because I didn't know.

Originally Posted By: TeddyVelvet
Originally Posted By: Garak
It's safe to assume that they're not using gaseous nitrogen. As TrevorS said, it's the same thing. Look at the chemical structure of an amine. No nitrogen, no amine.
wink.gif

Garak is correct. As lubrication enthusiasts, we all could benefit from a crash course in organic chemistry!

I failed organic chemistry twice. There went my career as a pharmacist
smirk.gif

Whimsey

I filled up with Shell 93 V-Power after putting a bottle of Techron in my I35. The car didn't explode or anything so I guess the 2 played well with each other.

Same thing, different marketing.

AFAIK, Shell and ChevronTexaco are the only gasoline retailers that have revealed much information about their detergents. Chevron's Techron is PEA. Shell's 'nitrogen enriched' is more than likely the same thing... in organic chemistry, an amine is one type of nitrogen-containing functional group. To a creative marketer, a poly-ether amine could be described as 'nitrogen enriched'.

I believe we've confirmed that Shell's OTC "V-Power" additive and SOPUS' "Regane" are both PEA - I assume it is the same as what is in their gasoline.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Same thing, different marketing.

AFAIK, Shell and ChevronTexaco are the only gasoline retailers that have revealed much information about their detergents. Chevron's Techron is PEA. Shell's 'nitrogen enriched' is more than likely the same thing... in organic chemistry, an amine is one type of nitrogen-containing functional group. To a creative marketer, a poly-ether amine could be described as 'nitrogen enriched'.

I believe we've confirmed that Shell's OTC "V-Power" additive and SOPUS' "Regane" are both PEA - I assume it is the same as what is in their gasoline.

SOPUS sold off Gumout a few years ago to the company that markets Permatex, Fix-A-Flat, and other various automotive maintenance products.

http://www.itwgb.com/brands/

As for "nitrogen enriched" - I already knew it was probably polyether amines, with amines being the nitrogen source. Of course it's interesting to maybe think of it as some other nitrogen source such as NO2 or maybe even manure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back