Help! Transmission fluid looks like Chocolate Milk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Just changed the transmission fluid in the pan in my Camry. I bought it 2 months ago and 2,800 miles ago. At 176k miles the previous owner had a transmission flush done at Brake Masters and the paper says they used Pennzoil Multivehicle ATF. 3 quarts came out of the pan and it looks like chocolate milk. It has a little bit of a rough shift into reverse and when it shifts into 4th gear. (It's an automatic) I topped it off with Valvoline Maxlife ATF and haven't driven it yet. The coolant overflow bottle was full about 1.5-2 months ago when I topped it off after doing a water pump/ timing belt. There's a picture of the overflow a little low.

I saved some used transmission fluid in a bottle if that matters

My pictures are of it in a clean drain pan, and pics of it on my finger. Also of it on a paper towel of me pouring a little bit on.

Has the radiator gone and leaked into the transmission? What do I do?

2nbd35c.jpg

o5xf78.jpg

27ybmo3.jpg

2eld274.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I doubt it. From my understanding, the transmission fluid is pressurized more than the coolant is, so if you have a fluid exchange between the two, the coolant will be the "gaining" fluid and it will turn milky. I'd run a few closely-spaced drains/fills through the transmission to see if the condition returns.

I'd wait at least 500 miles between drain and fills. I wouldn't do any flushes. You want a slow and gradual cleaning.

Coolant might have dropped due to fluid levels settling after your repair.

The ATF flush 12k miles ago is suspect.

I would correct the coolant level and keep an eye on it.

Run the vehicle for a minute or two and see what color ATF you now have. Take a sample. These are your benchmarks.

Then drive as normal and check the coolant level and ATF color at regular intervals.

Do another pan drop and flush in 1000 miles or so.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I doubt it. From my understanding, the transmission fluid is pressurized more than the coolant is, so if you have a fluid exchange between the two, the coolant will be the "gaining" fluid and it will turn milky. I'd run a few closely-spaced drains/fills through the transmission to see if the condition returns.

It goes both ways... Been there, done that. Running: ATF pump pressure pushes fluid into the coolant. As soon as you shut down: pressurized cooling system pushes antifreeze into the transmission. Both fluids become a wretched mess. :-/

That said: the pictures don't look like coolant into ATF to me. Its not gritty/gooey enough. That looks more like plain water contamination, or a whole lotta clutch material being shed. Did this car go for a swim after a big rain, perhaps?

Even if the transmission fluid has more pressure than the radiator fluid when running, any leak in the cooler for the trany will still allow antifreeze into the trany fluid when the engine is shut down.

Unfortunately as has been posted here on bitog before, the glue that holds the friction material to the metal parts in the trany, is a glue that is water soluble and you can expect those friction surfaces will come unglued after being exposed to water. In other words, after you have the trany cooler inside of the radiator fixed, the trany probably will soon self destruct because of it having antifreeze with water in it. And we all know that a trany rebuild ain't cheap.

UPDATE:

I've driven it, and it shifts fine, still a clunk into reverse. After driving, the coolant went back up to normal.

fluid looks dirty, not "emulsified".

Perform a couple of drain-n-fill and that should help clearing up the "murki-ness".

Q.

No, there's no coolant in that trans fluid. It would look like Pepto bismal. Just do a few drain and fills next engine oil change. Let the 3 quarts new stuff circulate and clean.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
take it to a tranny shop

Grumpy-Cat-Says-No.jpg

I agree with everyone above who said to change the fluid and keep an eye on it. Also frequently check other fluids to make sure there is no cross contamination. That fluid has no obvious signs of anything, but did it have any weird odor?

UPDATE:
I've driven it, and it shifts fine, still a clunk into reverse. After driving, the coolant went back up to normal.

Check the motor mounts and suspension bushings.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
take it to a tranny shop

Grumpy-Cat-Says-No.jpg

I agree with everyone above who said to change the fluid and keep an eye on it. Also frequently check other fluids to make sure there is no cross contamination. That fluid has no obvious signs of anything, but did it have any weird odor?

It didn't smell too bad, not burnt or like coolant.

UPDATE:

Check the motor mounts and suspension bushings.

Not coolant, it would be bright pink.
Do a pan drop and look whats in the bottom of the pan, do the filter at the same time then do a line off fluid exchange. Very easy to do on this car.

Looks like old run-for-far-too-long ATF to me. Do a few drain an fills with new ATF and see how it looks and shifts.

Coolant level went up because its hot. You need to check fluids on a like for like basis. The markers on the side of the reservoir are cold fill levels.

I read your other post about shiny bits in the oil. Consensus says that is an additive. Maybe this ATF has some elixir in it too. If the car runs without issues. These days 1700 bucks doesn't get much of a car. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back