Fram Oil Filter for MC, Any good??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this board tends to frown on Fram oil filters on Cars and Trucks, and I tend to agree due to poor construction. However, I'm thinking that they may be a good filter to use on a motorcycle. Specifically a Kawasaki 1000 police. No adbv , bypass or end caps to worry about. Only the filter media... and the general impression I get from this board is that fram filter media is Ok. I'd appreciate your imput.
thanks

I remember reading Fram oil filters were banned at many motorcycle races because of accidents resulting from them blowing apart.

Really, That is not an indication of an acceptable oil filter.
frown.gif
I'm just looking at a shell, metal ends and nothing but filter media and a couple of rubber seals for the oil bolt. I wonder what could cause that to blow apart. Unless the media's tensile strength is like tissue paper....interesting....you know in the past I used emglo filters which IMO are cheaper than cheap, but never had any problems...what filter brands do you guys use for Motorcycles?

I think there was a study for motorcylcles out there. The results were the same as the automotive ones: cardboard endcaps and poor contruction.

-T

I remember looking at that "study" a few years ago about the FRAMs blowing off.
IIRC, these FRAMs (spin ons) were made in Korea and had very shoddy threads.
Apparently one blew off and oiled the track right in front of the rear tire and the rider was seriously injured.

Another possibility is that a 20mmX1.5mm filter was used in place of a 3/4x16 thread. This would "screw on", but would result in the threads having only about 50% purchase.
It's mu understanding that MC's run much higher oil pressure than cars. (It's been 25 years since I gave up riding my 750 Triumph due to numerous "excursions" with the pavement)
frown.gif

Personally, if a manufacturer is willing to cut corners in some aspects, I'd be leery about other aspects.

The center tubes on many Fram filters, and I believe this would also apply to your bike filter (???), have been know to have a modest amount of cumulative hole area, causing concerns about flow capability. This has been known to cause perforation of the filter media where it contacts Fram center tube holes. My opinion, evidently shared by others, is that regardless of the complexity/simplicity of a given filter application, Fram has a habit of taking whatever shortcuts they can, when many other manufacturers don't always skimp so readily. If nothing else, I'd bet there's a Purolator or Napa Gold filter alternative readily found where you live.

I think what you are talking about is the filters that install in the cover of the engine, not a 'spin-on' type. If so, then the fram is about as good as any other, and is usually made in Korea or phillipines. they seem to be the same quality as Emgo or STP. While I do not use Fram filters in auto applications, I feel they are acceptable for those types of M/C filters.

I have 2 cycles which have used Fram for 15 years with no problem. One is a Kaw and a Yamaha.
The EMGO has been known to separate at the glue and the end cap. So much for "metal" end caps. I'd rather have paper that stuck than metal that didn't.
I've been a motorcycle mech since the 1960's

Smoky the wrench

Unless they make a Fram x2 series filter for your motorcycle... I'd probably stay away from Fram filters.

Get a Mobil 1, A/C Delco, K&N, AMSOIL, WIX...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back