Wise words from a clothing company...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: theKman
My intent was to disparage meatheads, not Jarheads. As another poster said, those who have lived it don't usually feel the need to advertise it. Proud Veterans may wear whatever they choose, but just like anyone, they are making a statement by doing so. Many of the shirts on that website are as alpha-male macho as you can get. If that's you're thing, fine, but that image will impress upon people, and people will react accordingly. Me, I'll roll my eyes and wonder what you're compensating for if your shirt says "I may look calm, but in my head I've already killed you 3 times". You may be kind and decent, but that message is the one people will react to. (For the record, I realize not all of the shirts fit that description)

As for the tea party comment, many of the shirts on that website contain imagery they use. It's pretty clear that most of the images and impressions of those shirts play to a particular social and political bent. Is it wrong to make that observation?

Finally, I appreciate the OP's service and certainly meant no disrespect to him. There is a difference between supporting the military and supporting militarism. It is my opinion that many of the shirts on that site support militarism, and I do not.

And really, my post count is a problem?

Very well put on all points. I got to hang out for a bit with a guy who competes at an international level in jiujutsu, and he found the whole Tapout shirt/hat craze immature and a little baffling. No small irony that IIRC the Tapout dude died in a fiery wreck (along w/ his passenger?) trying to be fast/furious.

And yeah, there's a big difference between "hardships" you chose for yourself (intense exercise, voluntary military service) and those you are born or forced into (pick any number of countries run by voilent juntas in the 60s-70s, whole generations growing up with REAL hardships). Just me 2c.

Edit: I do appreciate US-made clothes -- just got my package from Texas Jeans, pair on sale for ~26. Not just made in USA, the best part is they aren't made in that stain called texas
smile.gif

Last edited:
The message on the shirt should say "Pity the man dumb enough to pay $20 for a $3 t-shirt".

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

As writer Steven Pressfield put it, “It’s better to be in the arena, getting stomped by the bull, than to be up in the stands or out in the parking lot.”

I think I'd rather own the arena; I can sit back and take the profits from both the fools getting stomped by the bull and the ones watching them get stomped.

Shirts for those that feel the need to convey a tough-guy image. And for tea party types. Often one and the same.

Typical. Shines brighter than a blue LED. It's obvious what you loath however this isn't a political site and you're clearly trying to pick a fight with such a drive-by comment.

Read the rules, then follow them!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Shirts for those that feel the need to convey a tough-guy image. And for tea party types. Often one and the same.

Sorry, but this comment is about as one-sidedly ignorant as any I've seen posted on this board.
Yes, some 'tough guys' like to wear shirts with harsh messages, but so do proud veterans. As long as they are kind people, and live a decent life...why be so disparaging and judgmental about what t-shirt people wear?
And what's with the 'Tea Party' comment? So am I to guess that this means you are a left-of-center individual who has the misguided notion that anybody that supports the Tea Party movement is worthy of insult?
Simply rude....and at only 53 posts??

My intent was to disparage meatheads, not Jarheads. As another poster said, those who have lived it don't usually feel the need to advertise it. Proud Veterans may wear whatever they choose, but just like anyone, they are making a statement by doing so. Many of the shirts on that website are as alpha-male macho as you can get. If that's you're thing, fine, but that image will impress upon people, and people will react accordingly. Me, I'll roll my eyes and wonder what you're compensating for if your shirt says "I may look calm, but in my head I've already killed you 3 times". You may be kind and decent, but that message is the one people will react to. (For the record, I realize not all of the shirts fit that description)

As for the tea party comment, many of the shirts on that website contain imagery they use. It's pretty clear that most of the images and impressions of those shirts play to a particular social and political bent. Is it wrong to make that observation?

Finally, I appreciate the OP's service and certainly meant no disrespect to him. There is a difference between supporting the military and supporting militarism. It is my opinion that many of the shirts on that site support militarism, and I do not.

And really, my post count is a problem?

You are very disingenuous to say the least. You used this forum to attack what you call a "particular political and social bent". You interjected an insult where none was directed at you. Opinions are fine....but the rules of the board are clear.
You are blanketing an entire group of people that might choose to wear these t-shirts (veterans, pro-military, and currently active military) as "meatheads". Then you attack the same and interject a Tea Party comment. Ok....you don't like the Tea Party...I think we all get that. For the record, I'm an atheist and don't agree with all of the movement either. You say that many of the t-shirts "contain imagery" the Tea Party uses. Lol....so does the Tea Party have copyright status on images....and anybody that uses one must be connected? What imagery or statements do you find "Tea Party" like? Ones that say "Patriot" emblazoned on the front? Or how about, "I am responsible"; "Trust in God and Country"; or this one...."Show respect for all people"?
As for your militarism comment......? Where does a simple t-shirt represent a support of "militarism"? Many vets and pro-miltary people are able to support the military, be proud of it, and wear catchy t-shirts WITHOUT being a 'militarist'.
Next time....think before you post.

My initial post was a bit snarky and added little to the conversation. I stand by my comments in my follow-up post. I have re-read the forum rules to further acquaint myself with the details re: taboo topics. I apologize to the OP for taking his thread in a direction he did not intend. I will not engage in this discussion any further.

Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm
just got my package from Texas Jeans....the best part is they aren't made in that stain called texas
smile.gif

Wow...Gumby loses an incredible amount of weight, gets in shape, enlists to serve his country, is stationed at the largest army base in the United States, if not the world, posts some wise words he appreciates, from a clothing manufacturer he supports, K-driveby takes a political cheap shot and Lazy-you can't resist to join in with another drive-by-slam; this time against the Great State of Texas!

What's even funnier to a critical thinker is your own cognitive dissonance: You're wearing the very name of the state you hate on Texas jeans made in North Carolina! Furthermore, you just paid for the priviledge! Ha! I guess "North Carolina Jeans" is too long to fit on the label, eh? Doesn't invoke the same rugged, proud, independent image that Texas Jeans does, eh? What's that stain on your Texas jeans there Lazy??

Display that on your label!

Old Sam says it better than I can:

"You may all go to [censored] and I will go to Texas!" -- Sam Houston.

Tip of my hat to Gumby for his incredible weight loss and for his continued service.
34.gif

My initial post was a bit snarky and added little to the conversation. I stand by my comments in my follow-up post. I have re-read the forum rules to further acquaint myself with the details re: taboo topics. I apologize to the OP for taking his thread in a direction he did not intend. I will not engage in this discussion any further.

I didn't mean to come off as some control freak trying to make you exit this thread. I apologize if that is what you may be interpreting. I honestly DO understand a portion of your post. I DO NOT like the idiot 'meat-head' types. Nor do I like the overly boastful, prior military folks that want the world to know that they served....it's an ego thing sometimes. But...where I took issue is the attack on the ever popular target for the left...The Tea Party. Like I've stated, I am not a supporter of them (the religious aspects I find unpalatable). But for the past few years they have been targeted as some sort of evil entity that needs to be expunged from the planet. That I find objectionable. And I find it sad that many people, such as yourself, find it perfectly fine to express such disdain very openly WITHOUT thinking that many folks agree with the party platform and would take offense.
No big deal anyway....this was supposed to be a thread about corny t-shirts, right??

I didn't mean to come off as some control freak trying to make you exit this thread. I apologize if that is what you may be interpreting. I honestly DO understand a portion of your post. I DO NOT like the idiot 'meat-head' types. Nor do I like the overly boastful, prior military folks that want the world to know that they served....it's an ego thing sometimes. But...where I took issue is the attack on the ever popular target for the left...The Tea Party. Like I've stated, I am not a supporter of them (the religious aspects I find unpalatable). But for the past few years they have been targeted as some sort of evil entity that needs to be expunged from the planet. That I find objectionable. And I find it sad that many people, such as yourself, find it perfectly fine to express such disdain very openly WITHOUT thinking that many folks agree with the party platform and would take offense.
No big deal anyway....this was supposed to be a thread about corny t-shirts, right??

Not at all, no harm done. I'm simply trying to "un-fan" the flames by leaving this topic, and maybe it can, as you said, get back to being about t-shirts. I'm usually capable of more thoughtful discussion than that which I exhibited on my initial post.

But...where I took issue is the attack on the ever popular target for the left...The Tea Party. Like I've stated, I am not a supporter of them (the religious aspects I find unpalatable). But for the past few years they have been targeted as some sort of evil entity that needs to be expunged from the planet.

PLEASE tell me you do NOT think/actually believe that those whom you are defending do not believe that ANY/EVERYONE who is not on THEIR side, i.e.; to the extreme right of center, are not considered an "evil entity", and should not be "expunged from this planet".
lol.gif

Goose and gander.
wink.gif

Yeah, Those Tea Partiers.

Planning to take over the entire government and then leave everyone alone!

And smarter than average, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back