Mobil 1 0w20 AFE 10,000 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a UOA on an approximately 10K run in my wife's 07 4cyl Camry. The UOA suggested that oil could easily do 10K, at least in an 07 Camry with my wife's driving patterns, I don't think you need to do a UOA at 7500, I'd just go for it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
AFE 0W20, 0W30, and Mobil 1 0W40 are three of Mobil's very best synthetic offerings.

The only three Mobil oils that I use for my Lexus GS400, except for that momentary lapse into the EP line
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: blackman777

I'd rather run 5w-20 which warranties 15,000 miles. The M1 Extended Performance has it right on the back of the bottle, and I think is "safer" for long runs

I would say its safe as well but is it necessary? I'm not one for nickel and diming when it comes to oil, but for the extra couple of bucks, is there any real benefit on a 10k OCI?

Originally Posted By: Finz
Originally Posted By: blackman777

I'd rather run 5w-20 which warranties 15,000 miles. The M1 Extended Performance has it right on the back of the bottle, and I think is "safer" for long runs

I would say its safe as well but is it necessary? I'm not one for nickel and diming when it comes to oil, but for the extra couple of bucks, is there any real benefit on a 10k OCI?

Whether the benefit/cost ratio is worth it for you is something only you can decide. The thing is, for most users there's no downside to a 10,000 mi OCI with M1 AFE, so the small $$ savings plus the convenience makes going 10k an easy choice. This is true of lots of modern synthetics too, 10k mi is now the factory recommended OCI for Toyota and Honda. If I did an unusual amount of short trip driving here in the frozen North, I'd be more comfortable going 10k on a 15k rated oil too, but anybody who does a normal mix of city:highway driving should be confident in M1 AFE. A few examples:

My father lives in frigid northern MN and the AFE 0w30 he used last winter had a Blackstone TBN of 2.9 after 8,400 mi. He does quite a lot of highway driving.

My last UOA on AFE 0w20 in my Civic came back with 5.4 TBN from OAI after 6,900 miles. That was a summer run, but it's still dramatically better than the two previous runs on Idemitsu 0w20.

2010 FX4 went 15k mi on AFE 0w20, his Blackstone TBN was 2.2 at 10k mi and 2.9 at 15k mi after 0.75qt of makeup oil. He's in Texas, so no cold weather, but he does do some towing.

I'm not a penny pincher either, but I don't enjoy climbing under the car in the freezing cold either. The only reason I change AFE in my Civic at ~7k mi is because it's still under warranty and I'm following the OLM. After the warranty period I'm seriously considering using M1 EP or another 15k mi oil and going double the OLM interval.

I just swapped QSUD for M1 in my CR-V. I was expecting a noisy valve train like my old RSX on SN/SM flavor 5w-30. Pleasantly surprised. Very smooth and quiet. I will be taking it to 7500-8000 as signaled by my MM for warranty purposes, but once that's up I'll be moving up to 10k intervals as well.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: justinh384
I actually just got around to changing the oil today. I was surprised at how smooth the Mobil 1 0w20 AFE is in the engine compared to the Motorcraft 5w20 that I ran before it. I was expecting the Mobil 1 to be a 'noisy' oil.

I have had the exact same experience--no increased noise and it is the smoothest oil I have ran to date versus Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil Super 5000 in previous multiple runs. Makes me wish I would have tried it sooner...

FX4, I just put the 0W20 AFE and motorcraft filter on the Expy 5.4L, and the engine is nice and quiet, seems to be running a little smoother than when the old oil is in, and startups have been great. All subjective for sure, but I am a fan. Thanks for the input through some PMs.

Originally Posted By: justinh384
Will this oil hold up to a 10000 mile OCI with mostly highway driving and limited short trips?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2981850/Re:_2012_Mustang_5.0,_9500mi

It'll be just fine - I got that UOA after 9500 miles and 2.5 hours of track time. 0w20 AFE is very nice stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back