Mobil 1 0w20 AFE 10,000 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: justinh384
Will this oil hold up to a 10000 mile OCI with mostly highway driving and limited short trips?

Notice both engines of mine. 10K is a snap with M1 0-20. The Fusion is about 50-50 hwy and local and the Focus is 70 local and 30 Hwy. Both engines are clean like new and perform very well.

Last edited:
OP: In what vehicle/engine?

I think M1 0W-20 will do just fine with 10k and a lot of highway.

This is not simply an oil question but a vehicle, driving condition and oil question.
Simply stated, If I put mostly easy highway miles on and the engine was in good shap I might imagine the oil would do 10K at 2500+ mi per month - even though m1 is not a synthetic by (previous SAE) definition.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
even though m1 is not a synthetic by (previous SAE) definition.

Haha. Is anything really a synthetic anymore?

This is not simply an oil question but a vehicle, driving condition and oil question.

If you read my original post, you would see that I asked about mostly highway miles and limited short trips!

Well I replied later and said a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. It has less than 50,000 miles on it. Oil has been changed 3,000-5,000 intervals in the past.

Yota yaris with over 350k when traded-in for the d-max. M1 from day one.
5w-20 to 100k. 0w-20 the last 250k. we ran 10k minimum oci's. ran as smooth and quiet as a new one.
And those miles were hard hard miles. the cousin likes his burn outs, jackrabbit starts, redline daily, no warm ups ever, and short trips.
he was a beer company store stocker, tons of miles, mix of hwy and city combined with door to door delivery service.

10k is do able.

ken

Thanks for the reply JR. Now I feel a little more confident about running it for that long. The new oil/filter is either going on this weekend or next week. I hope to run it until February or March.

Didn't FX just run this oil for 20000 miles in his 5.4?
Mobil warranties/guarantees their M1 line for 10000 mile intervals. Your vehicle should handle it just fine

I actually just got around to changing the oil today. I was surprised at how smooth the Mobil 1 0w20 AFE is in the engine compared to the Motorcraft 5w20 that I ran before it. I was expecting the Mobil 1 to be a 'noisy' oil.

Originally Posted By: justinh384
I actually just got around to changing the oil today. I was surprised at how smooth the Mobil 1 0w20 AFE is in the engine compared to the Motorcraft 5w20 that I ran before it. I was expecting the Mobil 1 to be a 'noisy' oil.

I have had the exact same experience--no increased noise and it is the smoothest oil I have ran to date versus Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil Super 5000 in previous multiple runs. Makes me wish I would have tried it sooner...

- even though m1 is not a synthetic by (previous SAE) definition.

1 - Haven't we put this nonsense to bed yet? Whether or not an oil meets the traditional PAO/Ester definition of "synthetic" is irrelevant today. Group III base stocks like XOM's Visom or Shell's GTL have some of the best properties available in a base stock today. It's pretty hard to argue that making a group III base stock by sticking methane molecules together doesn't qualify as "synthesizing" it.

2 - You have absolutely no evidence that M1 AFE 0w20 is not a PAO synthetic in the traditional sense, in fact the PDS specs tend to indicate it has a lot of PAO.

3 - Whether or not M1 AFE is PAO or Group III has little to do with whether it can go 10,000 miles or not, that's mostly about additives, not base stocks.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
- even though m1 is not a synthetic by (previous SAE) definition.

1 - Haven't we put this nonsense to bed yet? Whether or not an oil meets the traditional PAO/Ester definition of "synthetic" is irrelevant today. Group III base stocks like XOM's Visom or Shell's GTL have some of the best properties available in a base stock today. It's pretty hard to argue that making a group III base stock by sticking methane molecules together doesn't qualify as "synthesizing" it.

2 - You have absolutely no evidence that M1 AFE 0w20 is not a PAO synthetic in the traditional sense, in fact the PDS specs tend to indicate it has a lot of PAO.

3 - Whether or not M1 AFE is PAO or Group III has little to do with whether it can go 10,000 miles or not, that's mostly about additives, not base stocks.

All M1 oils are a blend of base stocks and one of the best. Their base contains PAO, and esters as well. Here is a link.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Ester_Oil_Collection.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mineral_Oil_Question.aspx

Last edited:
Afe 0w30 lives in our Impala and goes to "0" on the OLM witch usually means 6-9+k,,that oil will easily do what you want it to do.

I don't know about 10K, but 7500 would be a snap.

My recommendation is to get a UOA with TBN at 7500 miles and see if you can go to 10K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back