Cooling system won't hold pressure, no leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
1994 Ford Explorer - The other day I noticed a small coolant leak. Turns out it was just a loose hose clamp. So I tighten the clamp and use my coolant pressure tester to make sure the leak is gone. So now there are no more leaks but the system will not hold pressure at all. As soon as I pump it up to 16 lbs, the needle on the gauge immediately starts plummeting back down to zero. With a leak that big, I should see a huge puddle of coolant on the ground, but there are NO leaks anywhere. And yes, my tester is working correctly. I tested it on my Accord (and discovered a loose clamp on that car too, fixed that) and the tester worked perfectly.
I listened carefully to hear any hissing or escaping pressure and thought I heard something from around the passenger side cylinder head area. It’s hard to listen because there’s a small window of time to listen before the pressure drops to nothing. The sound almost sounded like a dripping noise. It was a very faint noise; I had to pull the truck into the garage and close the door so I could get dead silence in order to hear anything.
The truck runs perfectly and doesn’t overheat, no misfires, good power, etc. The only thing I can think of is a bad head gasket. I’m thinking of buying a coolant combustion leak tester and/or a compression tester and/or a leakdown tester.

Have you checked the radiator cap and what about coolant getting past a worn-out head-gasket and going into the oil? Is the engine oil dipstick showing signs of a white milky fluid?

Radiator cap has nothing to do with it. The pressure tester screws onto the radiator neck and and takes the place of the cap. The problem is somewhere in the rest of the system, not the cap.

The oil looks ok, has some very slight milky streaks. It's so little I could probably write it off as normal condensation. There's no milky goo on the oil cap. Everything looks fine when I look into the oil fill hole.

I'm not familiar with the explorer engines, but it's pretty common for Jeep 4.0s to not get the milkshake on the oil cap; they run hot enough that when a head cracks, it just "burns" off the coolant and will leave small traces of coolant.

Pull the drain plug. I've seen them not show anything on the stick or oil cap but run straight coolant out the drain for a few moments.

What you described sounds like it should be a substantial leak, I am kind of surprised that it will even pump up to 16psi.

Maybe try spraying some soapy water around the connection of the tester to the radiator. Another thought is to put the cap back on and run it up to operating temp and see if it holds pressure with the cap on.

Make sure you have all of the air purged from the system as well, it could be leaking in a area that has a trapped air pocket not letting coolant escape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back