Pentastar 3.6 (Jeep Wrangler) Best filter avail ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at what filter to use on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6 Pentastar. On other vehicles I run 10k+ mile OCIs, and I was planning on doing the same with this vehicle on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.

I looked for some of the filters I use on my Toyotas, such as Bosch Distance Plus and Mobil 1 and came up empty.

So, what is the best filter currently available for this engine?

I have found:

Wix 57526
Bosch Premium 3335
OEM Mopar 68079744AB
Pennzoil PZ-180
Purolator L36135
Pure One PL36135
(but not available anyplace locally or online? Only at Advance AutoParts?)

So far, the first two oil changes were done with very short OCIs using the OEM Mopar filter, but I will need to sort out what filter to use soon.

Have you checked Fleet Filter [.] com to see if they stock it?

Doesn't the 2013 Pentastar call for 5W20 and the 2012 5W30?

How do you like the 2013 Wrangler? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Yes, it calls for 5W20 on the 2013 and 5W30 for the same engine on the 2012. I am using 5W30 and seeing excellent fuel economy and want the 5W30 in the heat here in the desert southwest. The Jeep is great, enjoying it very much. Thanks.

I run GC 0w30 in my Pentastar. I've looked at several filters. The Wix, Purolator Classic, AA's house brand Pro Motive, and the Fram were all the same. Same markings, same font, identical looks. P-1 had blue tinted media, that's the only one I found different.

Originally Posted By: qnyla
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Yes, it calls for 5W20 on the 2013 and 5W30 for the same engine on the 2012. I am using 5W30 and seeing excellent fuel economy and want the 5W30 in the heat here in the desert southwest. The Jeep is great, enjoying it very much. Thanks.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've been eyeing one for quite a while now. Drive it in good health!

Use oem filter and you have to change oil by the light, 8000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I run GC 0w30 in my Pentastar. I've looked at several filters. The Wix, Purolator Classic, AA's house brand Pro Motive, and the Fram were all the same. Same markings, same font, identical looks. P-1 had blue tinted media, that's the only one I found different.

Thanks, it also appeared to me that the P-1 and perhaps Bosch Premium were the only two that were different from the rest.

What 0W30 are you running? is that German Castrol? and do you happen to have a report?

Not saying anything is wrong with OEM filter, just looking for the best filter for a 10k OCI. It would be nice to find a good high efficiency synthetic media filter for this vehicle.

Originally Posted By: mailman74
Use oem filter and you have to change oil by the light, 8000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first.

Or did they change it for 13 the above is for the 12 to cover warranty.

Or did they change it for 13 the above is for the 12 to cover warranty.

For 2013 it jumps to a year or 10K.

Originally Posted By: qnyla

I am looking at what filter to use on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6 Pentastar. On other vehicles I run 10k+ mile OCIs, and I was planning on doing the same with this vehicle on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.

I looked for some of the filters I use on my Toyotas, such as Bosch Distance Plus and Mobil 1 and came up empty.

So, what is the best filter currently available for this engine?

I have found:

Wix 57526
Bosch Premium 3335
OEM Mopar 68079744AB
Pennzoil PZ-180
Purolator L36135
Pure One PL36135
(but not available anyplace locally or online? Only at Advance AutoParts?)

So far, the first two oil changes were done with very short OCIs using the OEM Mopar filter, but I will need to sort out what filter to use soon.

There are a couple others available. Do a search through my old threads if you are interested. I looked them up maybe 6-8 months ago for another member.

Added the Fram to the list. Looks like the Pure One is the best choice for me.

Wix 57526
Bosch Premium 3335
OEM Mopar 68079744AB
Pennzoil PZ-180
Purolator L36135
Pure One PL36135
Fram FCH10955

The Purator is a good filter, but IMO not for more than 5-6k. Wix would be a better choice.

More...

Purolator Synthetic Filter = PSL36135
Bosch Distance Plus Filter = D3335( may not be available yet )
Mobil Filter = P990
Napa Gold( same as Wix ) = 7526
Baldwin = P7492
Hastings = LF656

Looking for the same filter for my 2013 GC.
Amazon has the Purolator L36135 Classic Oil Filter for $7.31 with prime shipping.
Rock Auto has the Wix $4.48 but the the shipping nearly $6.00.
Also need an air filter.

Wayne

I bought the Napa Gold (wix) for under $4 at Napa while they had it on sale a while back & put it in my 13' Charger with the 3.6l. If I remember right it was cheaper for me to pay for it online then pick it up in the local store too for some reason.

Last edited:
I went with the Purolator Classic after comparing it to the OEM Mopar, they were identical. Purchased for $4.88 each at WM.

I'm sticking with 5w20 recommended by Chrysler. Apparently they can be sticklers if there is a warranty claim.

FYI, I'm 400 miles into breaking in the 3.6.

I was impressed the manual called for full throttle accelerations on the highway for proper breakin. Something BITOG has mentioned over the years. So I followed the manual and boy can that engine pull.

The family is loving the caravan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back