2000 Jeep 4.0L - Switch to Rotella T5 from PYB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't decide between PYB or Rotella T5, both in 10w-30 weights, for the 4.0L in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee.

I've used PYB for my last two fills, and while I don't have UOAs to prove wear numbers, the engine ran a little quieter at start-up than it did on Rotella T6 5w-40. I'm generally happy with PYB.

I've had my eye on T5 for a while, but could never find it. Now it can get it easily. Given that I'm happy with PYB, is there any reason why T5 would be superior in my application?

I have noticed my Jeep runs quieter on PYB, and so has another Jeep owner on the forum. I'd try the T5 if you want and see how it does. I tried both T5 and T6 in mine and it was noisier.

For conventional oil, there is absolutely nothing wrong with PYB; no reason to switch.

Ok perfect. Will stick with PYB. I also just put a new cat and 304 stainless exhaust on...don't want the marginally higher ZDDP to mess it up.

PYB is fine. If you go Rotella, skip the T5 and bump it up to T6. 4.0s thrive on RT6, great UOAs for 4.0s on RT6 can be found all over the place.

ZDDP at twice the concentration of RT6 isn't going to "mess up" a new catcon unless your engine burns a quart of oil every 300 miles or something extreme like that.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

ZDDP at twice the concentration of RT6 isn't going to "mess up" a new catcon unless your engine burns a quart of oil every 300 miles or something extreme like that.

x2!

PYB is fine. If you go Rotella, skip the T5 and bump it up to T6. 4.0s thrive on RT6, great UOAs for 4.0s on RT6 can be found all over the place.

At which point you have other things to worry about ...

Originally Posted By: Miller88

At which point you have other things to worry about ...

But not mosquitoes...

PYB and Rotella are both great choices in the 4.0. In my experience, the Rotella will be noisier but that doesn't have anything to do with actual wear protection IMO. I have run Rotella in the past and undoubtedly will again at some point. I have not run the T6 just the dino but my buddy has run both and he thinks the T6 is quieter than dino Rotella.

I've not found anything to run smoother or quieter in the 4.0 than PYB though. I believe the high moly is the reason.

KC and Jeepman...and particular reason why you guys are running Motorcraft filers? Just curious. I'm currently using an oversized Purolator "PureOne" filter.

Originally Posted By: jls095
KC and Jeepman...and particular reason why you guys are running Motorcraft filers? Just curious. I'm currently using an oversized Purolator "PureOne" filter.

For what its worth, that's what I use on both my family 4.0s. FL-1A sized Purolator Pure-1 (PL30001, if I recall correctly) and RT6, usually 7000-9000 mile OCIs, which might be pushing it for the Pure-1.

That's the exact one I have now Magnum. I'll stay with it unless persuaded otherwise. Just curious why the other guys used "normal" size MC's.

My particular Jeep has been very, very picky at start up and I get some nasty start up death rattle with just about every filter, regardless of price, except the Motorcraft. And ironically Fram Tough Guards which come in a very close second. The Motorcraft is the best "bang for the buck" filter you'll find IMO, and for the shorter 3,500 mile OCI's I often do now days the Motorcraft just makes sense.

I have used the larger FL-1A with pretty good results but the smaller FL-400S with it's silicone ADBV wins over everything. Here's one of my FL-400S cut open from my Jeep. Great filter IMO! I do not know why the Tough Guards work so well for me because the orange cans and fancy Extended Guard don't. I will use Tough Guards for longer OCI's when I run synthetic there is a better ROI that way.

I wonder what makes the FL-400s different than the others? It's not like it's the only filter nowadays with a silicone ADBV.

Is that filter bigger than the stock size filter? Looks it.

I, too, am running 3500mi OCIs with PYB. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I believe what makes the fl400s better than most other filters is not only the ADBV but also the location of the bypass. On most filters it is on the bottom end of the filter, the closed end not the thread end. On these mc filters (I use an fl820s on my f350) the bypass is up near the threads.

What this does, in theory I BELIEVE, is when it does bypass the filter it ruly bypasses all the media. In other filters it will "wash" up any accumulated dirt POSSIBLY by way of its location. Also horror stories about them failing...

JC

I wonder what makes the FL-400s different than the others? It's not like it's the only filter nowadays with a silicone ADBV.

Is that filter bigger than the stock size filter? Looks it.

I, too, am running 3500mi OCIs with PYB. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

No it certainly isn't the only silicone ADBV filter, but for whatever reason the ADBV on the Motorcraft "S" series filters work very, very well, better than most actually. If you don't have start up issues not a big deal, but if you do, wow what a difference.

The FL-400s is actually a little smaller, it is actually a Jeep Liberty filter but I use them on my Grand anyway.

Try one, you might like it!

I don't have much of a start up noise problem with my Jeep, but per KC's advice I tried the Motorcraft filter. The oil light used to come on for a split second while pressure was building on a cold start. That no longer happens with the Motorcraft FL-400s. Like KC, I feel the Motorcraft is the best bang for the buck. It is only a few cents more than the Purolator Classic at Walmart, and seems to be the cheapest filter with a silicone valve.

Check your brake caliber . If it silver . You good to go . If it black . Ready to spend some big " we'll not big for me " money's.

I will never own another jeep again . But for you op T5 10w30 or t6 5w40 and motorcraft oil filter is best combo for that noisy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back