Anybody try Magnetic oil plugs by Goldplug...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used a few from different manufacturers. One that I got from rock auto, had the epoxy get soft and the magnet got loose.

I've used gold plug, as well as one from ECS tuning and another from one of the BMW tuners. All have been good, as is my GM OE one in my truck.

They always capture something, fwiw.

They work well but the metal they are constructed from is a little soft so be careful not to over-tighten. As JHZR@ said, they always seen to capture something.

I use one on my Acura TL. I wasn't expecting it to pick up anything. It doe. Not huge amounts like an ATF magnet, but enough to justify the cost. IMO.

I just use old computer hard drive magnets strategically placed around the drain plug. I remove them seconds before I take the plug out and any impurities held in the magnetic field drain out.

Cost = $0

But the magnetic field won't be as strong down the length of the plug vs if the magnet was in the oil.

I have a couple gold plugs. So far they seem to work well. Never had an oil change that I didn't have to wipe a bunch of slime off of them. So they must be doing something.

Originally Posted By: vq35de_touring
Are these flakes stuff that our filters dont catch or is it stuff thats caught before passing through the filter?

Kinda makes me feel uneasy about our oil filters.

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But the magnetic field won't be as strong down the length of the plug vs if the magnet was in the oil.

Exactly right, the magnetic field is "shorted" by the metal oil sump pan, the field will be fairly weak inside the oil pan, despite a strong magnet on the outside.
It is best to put the magnet inside, where the magnetic field will do the most good , be strongest. Small magnets can be near useless on the outside.

The stonger the and larger the magnetic field, the more likely it will catch junk in the least number of passes of oil thru the system.

i pulled two petty darn strong magnets out of an old microwave oven's microwave tube assembly.

Are these flakes stuff that our filters dont catch or is it stuff thats caught before passing through the filter?

Not flakes of iron or steel but particles too tiny to be trapped by the filter. The filter is doing its job. If you want better filtration go to the expense and bother of bypass deep filtration (and usually not worth the expense and bother, but that's a discussion for another forum). These tiny iron and steel particles are abrasive so it is good to get them out. They look like black mud on the magnet.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Sir, yes sir!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Sir, yes sir!

34.gif

They are good plugs, using one on the Corolla now. I had to wrestle it a bit putting it in, kept wanting to stick to the pan
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
They are good plugs, using one on the Corolla now. I had to wrestle it a bit putting it in, kept wanting to stick to the pan
smile.gif

The real fun is when your taking one out and it sticks to the pan and deflects hot oil everywhere except into the catch pan.
shocked.gif

I've learned that pushing the plug up while it is coming off the threads and then giving it a clean jerk once your clear of the threads is the only way to avoid a complete mess. YMMV.

I don't have a magnetic drain plug, but I do have a FilterMag that I got for free. It does the same thing, but I never cut open an oil filter to see how well it works.

I neighbor puts rare earth magnets on his oil filters and transfers the magnets from filter to filter and they do collect some nasty looking stuff. The magnets are tough to get off, really tough. I think he has a good idea and I'm going to start doing it, too. What do you think?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I neighbor puts rare earth magnets on his oil filters and transfers the magnets from filter to filter and they do collect some nasty looking stuff. The magnets are tough to get off, really tough. I think he has a good idea and I'm going to start doing it, too. What do you think?

I read a in depth discussion about magnets on oil filters and a company that makes oil filters with them inside the filter. 1 person swore by them and everyone else disagreed saying things mostly something like if you collect all the metal shavings at 1 point then drive over a bump for example, it will dislodge most of the fine metal shavings and release them all at once. Supposedly that would be worse than having small particles evenly distributed.

I'm disappointed that my oil filter doesn't trap them in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back