why are honda autos so trouble prone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are all honda auto trans trouble prone? Do they all employ the same design, the manual transaxle design? What makes them so weak? From a design aspect to me it looks like this style of auto would be pretty trouble free.....but I guess not?

I've asked that question before and got flamed. I'm suited up. They have had issues for over a decade. You would "THINK" that a good company would correct the design flaw. The 08' Oddessey my step mom has has has 3 transmissions in 105k miles.=Honda trans are JUNK.

Cause Honda is no better than anyone else. Their reputation may have been true in the 70s and early 80s but today years are average at best. Nowhere near as good as people claim.

I think whether we want to admit or not that honda does in fact build pretty nice and good quality cars.
However they have issues like anything else. What design flaws are present in the honda autos?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I think whether we want to admit or not that honda does in fact build pretty nice and good quality cars.
However they have issues like anything else. What design flaws are present in the honda autos?

Which ones? Most Hondas I've been in have been meh at best and others have had similar issues to others. Acuras seem to be built well though which is a bit strange considering they are "nice" Hondas.

Google Honda transmission problems and have fun reading....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I've asked that question before and got flamed. I'm suited up. They have had issues for over a decade. You would "THINK" that a good company would correct the design flaw. The 08' Oddessey my step mom has has has 3 transmissions in 105k miles.=Honda trans are JUNK.

Well we all know that you are biased against Asian cars but since you are obviously an expert please tell me what I should expect to go wrong and around when (mileage and/or time).

What transmissions? Like every automaker, Honda has some good transmissions and some awful ones.

Not all of them are trouble-prone. The automatics behind their 4-cylinder engines are usually okay. It's the transmissions behind the V6's that were problematic.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
What transmissions? Like every automaker, Honda has some good transmissions and some awful ones.

Not all of them are trouble-prone. The automatics behind their 4-cylinder engines are usually okay. It's the transmissions behind the V6's that were problematic.

Funny that we're driving a 4cyl accord currently that needed a new AT at 28k miles. The Camry v6 in identical service didn't need one until nearly 90k.

So 4 cyl cars do have failures.

Yup we have a 2000 Accord V6. It has had 4 transmissions. first one recalled and covered by warranty. 2nd one failed and they did a half and half price with us for the next one. The new one failed after 15,000 miles. on the 4th one right now and the car has 147,000 miles. We are never buying another one again. What a nightmare. The current tranny is still under warranty thats the funny part for a 13 year old car.

Honda AT's are trouble prone because Consumer Reports consistently lies about how great Honda's are. Sorry, had to get that off my chest. My family has had a few Hondas and all have done fine. I think the problem is that most people that buy a Honda do so with the belief that the cars are bulletproof. Truth is all AT's need service. If you do not give it to them, they break. Many manufacturers will pay the price for the very infrequent service intervals that the car salesmen claim.

I am not really talking about the cars or when they were good ect..... I just want to know why honda transaxles are trouble prone? And which honda transaxles aren't trouble prone? Like my 05 civic how are those?

I think most of Honda's transmission issues ended in 2004. There were some Odysseys around 2007 or 08 with torque converter issues, but overall, their transmissions are no worse (or better) than the competition since 2004.

My Accord has an automatic, and it is known to be pretty much bulletproof. It's not uncommon for them to go 300k miles without a rebuild. And it's one of those automatically-shifted manuals, too. I'm currently at 162k trouble-free miles. I like the manual trans design - no clutch packs to wear out.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I think most of Honda's transmission issues ended in 2004. There were some Odysseys around 2007 or 08 with torque converter issues, but overall, their transmissions are no worse (or better) than the competition since 2004.

I think the 2005 Odysseys had issues as well. Our 2006 has 120,000 on Amsoil ATF and it's still going strong. We are on the 3rd PS pump, tail gate light housings leak, broken vent controls, etc are a little disconcerting.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Underdesigned or undercooled for the weight of the car.

This. Especially in the case of the Odyssey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back