2 cycle Lawnboy question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I recently bought an 1994 model 2 cycle Lawnboy that did not run. The previous owner said he couldn't get it to run and he stored it a couple years ago. So, I bought it with the intentions of just messing with it in my spare time. When I got it home the starter rope was extremely hard to pull. It would pull, but it took a lot of strength. Well, I wanted to start with the simple things first, so I took out the spark plug and it was rusted and had a good bit of buildup. I put in a new plug and poured a little fuel/oil mixture and she fired up on the first pull! To me, it appears just by changing the spark plug the starter rope was much easier to pull. My question is, why? I don't know a lot about small engine repair but I was curious how the old spark plug could cause the starter to be so hard to turn?

Originally Posted By: ryan604
I don't know a lot about small engine repair but I was curious how the old spark plug could cause the starter to be so hard to turn?

Perhaps it was hydrolocked. Did any fluid come out of the spark plug hole when you took it out?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
maybe the fuel oil mixture lubed the cyl walls enough to move the piston more easily.

This would be my guess too. When my brother put straight gasoline in the old leaf blower and seized it, I poured some motor oil into the spark plug hole, and helped nurse it back to life that way. Got a good bit more life out of it before we replaced it with a new one.

Can you still get parts for these old Lawnboys?...if so I would pull the cylinder (very easy on 2-stroke) and knock the glaze off (steelwool) the inside of the cylinder and slap a new ring(s) on this puppy.

How can you miss the obvious reason that is loosened up? Oiling the cylinder did it. How could the plug that just sits there do anything??

I have the same lawnboy. I had the same problem and I poured some oil into the spark plug hole and it freed the piston up. I changed the spark plug, air filter, and I put a fresh gas/oil mix in. Still wont start. Doesnt even act like it wants to. My cousin who gave it to me said when it died it let off a black smoke cloud. So do you guys think the rings are shot?

Are you getting spark from the plug when you pull the rope? Some of these older Lawn-Boy ignition coils will suddenly fail like that. Before I do ANY work on a no-start mower, I check to see if I'm getting spark at the plug. I've run into a number of bad ignition coils lately. And those are often expensive enough to replace that the owner just ditches the mower and buys a new $99 Walmart special.

Not having spark would not explain the fact that the engine was very hard to turn over, unless it has come loose and is contacting the flywheel.
Lawnboy used a CD type electronic ignition magneto and they WERE subject to fail, especially if someone trying to check for spark did it the wrong way. Aftermarket replacements are not expensive, you can buy one for under $30 (many being under $25).
In your case Lillikai, the engine may have siezed and now that it has been loosened up it may not have enough compression to run. If so, you will need to replace the piston, rings, and both the upper and lower crankshaft seals. You will also need to hone the cylinder to remove any aluminum transfer. The case halves use an anaerobic flange sealant like Locktight 510.

Last edited:
Wow that sounds like a lot that needs to be done. *cringe* Well I may end up recycling it, or taking the engine off and try to find a replacement for it.

Originally Posted By: Lillikai
Wow that sounds like a lot that needs to be done. *cringe* Well I may end up recycling it, or taking the engine off and try to find a replacement for it.

There isn't really much to rebuilding a Lawnboy engine, they are very simple, and the parts are cheap. Aftermarket piston and ring sets are under $20 and the crankshaft seals are under $5 each. A cheap small engine cylinder hone can be had for about $20. A tube of Locktight 515 or 518 anaerobic flange sealant (DON'T substitute this!) can be bought for under $15 (you can rebuild 20 engines with one tube of this stuff). For all of this and a new sparkplug and air filter, you are only out about $75 (if you already had the hone and Locktight you would only be out $40). When you are finished, the engine will run like new and last MANY more years (if you did it right). I have done a few hundred of them over the years. These are tough little engines.

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
I really miss my old 2 stroke lawn boy. Noisy, kept the mosquito population down, and no oil changes.

You folks act like these mowers have disappeared from the earth like dinosaurs. If you go to your local craigslist or eBay, they are commonly sold. Often in good condition, by owners who don't know what they are worth.

I have two, 2 cycle Lawn Boys. Both are the 2000 year, 6 1/2 HP versions with aluminum decks and self propel. They both weigh under 80 lbs and can cut grass taller than the wheels without stalling.

If you use a good 2 cycle synthetic oil, smoke and odors are next to none. The best part is, if you own a 2 cycle string trimmer, you can use one gas can for both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back