Premium Fuel really needed for Supercharger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 Buick Regal is supercharged. It says it needs premium fuel.

If I rarely get into the supercharger is it really necessary?

What will I really gain or lose by using regular unleaded or premium?

It would reduce the detonation that the knock sensor sees and will allow advanced timing for better fuel economy and performance. Regular would knock more and make the ECM cut back timing repeatedly.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Don't run regular in that engine! You will be looking for a good used one soon if you do.

if nothing else besides less knock, premium will give you a bit better fuel mileage as long as you keep your foot out of it.

Seriously. Use premium. Or start engine shopping. Which costs more,fuel or engine.
And don't even consider using an octane boost. They don't work and not worth the risk.
Jmo

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
It would reduce the detonation that the knock sensor sees and will allow advanced timing for better fuel economy and performance. Regular would knock more and make the ECM cut back timing repeatedly.

+2 if you had a scan tool you'd see how often it was in knock retard even with 91 octane. Just knowing it could do more, easier, would drive me nuts.

Get a cash back gas card, they're all over with 5% which is already half the price spread.

In that car, run premium. That engine is designed around the supercharger. Even when it's not providing positive pressure, it's still providing more pressure than what the atmosphere can force in by itself.

The L67 was never meant to run on regular. It's designed and tuned for running premium, with some skimpy backup low-octane tables in the PCM just in case there's a natural disaster and the sole gas station left open is only pumping regular.

Premium will provide better fuel economy, more than making up for the extra $4-5 a tank when going another 50-60 miles a tank.

My Grand Prix has the L67 and I run premium at all times just because I enjoy the extra get up and go from the SC when punching it to get on the freeway (tires break loose even with the traction control on!) or passing someone on the freeway. The manual for my car says that premium is preferred but that regular is acceptable, but like others said, it should only be about $3 extra per tank (15 gallons at $0.20/gallon premium for premium), which will probably pay for itself in better fuel efficiency.

Pull the belt, add speed daddy headers, do a FWI, or get it tuned to run 87. I had considered headers, FWI, and an 87 tune if I got back into one.

Do the math; if you drive 15,000 miles per year and average 20 mpg you'll use 750 gallons per year. Assuming a 20 cent delta between regular and premium you are talking about an additional annual cost of-are you sitting down?-a whopping $150!!!
That's over 41 cents per day!!!
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

Seriously, why would you even consider cutting corners on a supercharged/turbocharged car? If that amount of money fractures your budget you are definitely driving the wrong car...

It is cheap insurance. Plus, if your gas mileage is better, it could become free insurance. Premium here is about 8% more expensive. If I get just 5% better gas mileage then the cost is every less than $100/ year. It's worth it.

ref

See if it pings and also check MPG loss if any. The fuel door typically states Premium recommended or required. Recommended then its just that.

My wife's Subaru 2.5 turbo can take regular per manual in a pinch(I have done in rural places with no premium) but it loses a few MPG and noticeable power especially summer.

The engine management will likely detune to compensate however your car is 11+years old and it varies how successful it will be in saving the motor. As an example Cadillac required premium in their turbo SRX model. The factory tune did not deal well at all with regular fuel usage and vehicles ended up with severe engine damage.

Here's caddy story: http://jalopnik.com/5501161/never-fill-a-cadillac-srx-turbo-with-regular-unleaded-gas

Originally Posted By: ZZman

I would say use premium for better cleanliness and MPGs.

In the end, if you don't want to buy premium, don't buy a car that recommends it. I don't get spending that much on a car and then trying to squeeze some pennies out of the cost of gas.

I sold my 2001 SSei Bonneville to my son 3 years ago. It is supercharged so I always ran 91 gas. He has never put premium gas in it in 3 years. After 40,000 miles it is still running as strong as ever with no problems. I am starting to think the premium gas ( and expense ) is not needed. Roger

I would bet the Bonneville is pulling the timing way back. Tried it on the Buick when it was stock and the computer and scan tool you could see the difference in timing. Also lots of detenation at mid throttle when you have to hit the gas. I bet his has some detonation that you can't hear. Had to really listen in the Buick to hear it. The only way to know is to hook up a scanner or lap top and watch the timing.

Not worth it, especially if you are ever going to put your foot in it. I have owned two L67 cars both moddified. Your can do what you want, but when you burn a hole in the piston don't say we didn't tell you so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back