Help with Oil for my new John Deere X320 tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pulling the trigger on a new John Deere X320 riding mower with a John Deere iTorque 22hp (16.4kW) V-Twin Aircooled engine. 44.3 cu.in. (726 cc)

The initial breakin period on the motor is 8 hours, then i need to change it.
I live just south of Nashville, so we see some pretty warm summers.

I want to make sure i put the best dang oil in it i possibly can so that this engine lasts a long time and purrs like a kitten.

Doing a quick search, I find they recommend using 10w30 turf gard 4-cycle oil in this engine, but i find it hard to believe that 10w30 is going to be the right oil to use in a warm climate. My dad swears up and down that i shouldn't use 10w30 and that i should use straight 30 weight.

i need help finding the best oil for my engine.

thanks in advance for your input!
confused.gif

I've been using Rotella 15-40 in my LT155 for years. All of my other OPE as well. Its cheap,available and does a fine job.

Welcome.

As base stocks improve (due to API licensing requirements, technological improvements) the difference between a 10w-30 and an SAE 30 is less and less as time goes on. The viscosity index requirements of a 10-30 are easily met by a lot of base oils without any additives. These additives historically have been prone to shear and why your father feels the way he does.

His advice isn't bad, perhaps outdated. But if you want to make him happy most HEDO (Diesel) oils in a 30 or 10w-30 would be a good choice. You might also consider blowing his mind by running a 5w-40 synthetic like Rotella in it (which would probably be my choice).

Really there are other things you should do to insure a long life, oil choice matters much less than actually changing it. There are more rusted out or otherwise negelcted old deeres than those with low compression if you spend much time on CraigsList.

That John Deere Turf Guard 10w30 is actually an excellent oil. If you can get it for a good price I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Rotella T6. That's what I would use.

That's what I do use in all of my OPE.

I use Rotella T5 myself. It's in the specified 10W-30 grade that most small engines recommend.

But you see a trend here. Rotella T5 and T6 both are very good oils for small engines and are used by many.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
That John Deere Turf Guard 10w30 is actually an excellent oil. If you can get it for a good price I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

+1. Have used it in my last 2 JD lawn tractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back