Best way to clean the throttle body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use throttle body cleaner
make sure it says safe for all coatings on it.

and ill carefully use a microfiber cloth on it

the electronic kind its more of a 2 person job.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
If it is a dbw throttle body, I would consult the factory service manual first. Many of DBW throttle bodies are very delicate and are easily damaged. In addition, on some of them, performing the idle air volume relearn can be extremely difficult.

edit: looks like you do have an electronic throttle body. Cleaning it may leave you with an inoperable car if you are unable to perform the idle speed relearn. I would just proceed with replacement as the dealer suggested:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1433735,parttype,6472

Well if you replace it you STILL have to do the relearn so he is better off atleast trying to clean it first.

Here is how to reset the throttle body..not hard at all:

(Don't know what year your Colbalt is but this is for a 2007 base 4cyl. 2005 model this is not required) I don't know why copy and paste places gargbled characters in there so sorry about that but you can still read it ok

Throttle LearnImportant: Do NOT perform this procedure if DTCs are set. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.

1. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
2. With a scan tool, monitor desired and actual RPM.
3. The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.
4. Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
5. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
6. After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.
Important: During the drive cycle the check engine light may come on with idle speed DTCs. If idle speed codes are set, clear codes so the ECM can continue to learn.

If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at speeds above 70km/h (44mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.
7. After the drive cycle, the engine should be idling normally.
8.If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds and repeat step 6.
9. Once the engine speed has returned to normal, clear DTCs.

Last edited:
GM Boy, it's a 2006 Cobalt (LS).

I think I'm going to try to clean it first!

Also, I'm not sure the TB for a 2007 will work for a 2006...remember they did some updates on the ecotec from 2006-2008...might be wrong though!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
GM Boy, it's a 2006 Cobalt (LS).

I think I'm going to try to clean it first!

Also, I'm not sure the TB for a 2007 will work for a 2006...remember they did some updates on the ecotec from 2006-2008...might be wrong though!

Does not show any procedure required for the 2006 either. Therefore, go and spray away and clean it well. It will relearn itself.

I always pull the tb off and spray it from the inside. On Tbs that have a cooling line I leave the line attached and simply turn the unit over while sitting on an old towel and spray it that way. Then bolt back on and let it sit an hour before starting to allow all of the cleaner to evaporate. Never fails. I never touch the surfaces with anything in case they have any coatings.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I always pull the tb off and spray it from the inside. On Tbs that have a cooling line I leave the line attached and simply turn the unit over while sitting on an old towel and spray it that way. Then bolt back on and let it sit an hour before starting to allow all of the cleaner to evaporate. Never fails. I never touch the surfaces with anything in case they have any coatings.

Going to check that out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back