Air compressor oil MILKY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need some advice. I have an eMax 7.5 HP Piston 80 Gal. Vertical 2 Stage 3 Phase Air Compressor. I'm in Louisiana so never hardly freezes. It is outside at a truckstop for trucks to air tires, so very light duty.

From the day we got it, the recommended oil "30# non-detergent compressor oil" would turn milky white in less than a week, so my maintenance man is changing the oil weekly. Manufacturer suggested Mobil Rarus 427. It did the same thing. I complained enough that they shipped me a replacement compressor. The oil it was shipped with lasted 2 months before turning white. Put recommended oil in and it did the same thing. Company swears they ship with Mobil Rarus 427 in it, but there must me something out there I could use that would hold up. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. If not a change in oil suggestion, but also any other ideas what might be causing this on TWO different compressors. Thanks

Msib said:
I really need some advice. I have an eMax 7.5 HP Piston 80 Gal. Vertical 2 Stage 3 Phase Air Compressor. I'm in Louisiana so never hardly freezes. It is outside at a truckstop for trucks to air tires, so very light duty.

From the day we got it, the recommended oil "30# non-detergent compressor oil" would turn milky white in less than a week, so my maintenance man is changing the oil weekly. Manufacturer suggested Mobil Rarus 427. It did the same thing. I complained enough that they shipped me a replacement compressor. The oil it was shipped with lasted 2 months before turning white. Put recommended oil in and it did the same thing. Company swears they ship with Mobil Rarus 427 in it, but there must me something out there I could use that would hold up. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. If not a change in oil suggestion, but also any other ideas what might be causing this on TWO different compressors.

"So very light duty"
This is the problem the pump needs to get worked to get hot to drive out condensation in the oil.

Sounds like you are getting a lot of condensation build up.
Being in Louisiana you get to deal with high humidity, that alone can do it.

It being outside and under that 'easy duty' might be part of it. It may never get hot enough for the oil to boil off the condensation.

Don't know what to tell you. You may just have to change the fluid once a week or so.
I'd think that normal use would cook the moisture out of the oil. This could be a winter thing, where the ambient temp along with the light duty don't allow it to get really hot. Where a Louisiana summer, much like a Texas summer, is hot enough to cook the moisture out of most objects.

Originally Posted By: Msib
I really need some advice. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

A large arrow sign pointing to the next closest gas station. With the words "AIR" written on the sign.

Dave

Maybe you need some Cajan 30W oil?

I am guessing the humidity is high. The add-ons to deal with water in air typically go after the compressor.

I know there is gear oil for outboard engines that can deal with water and hold it in suspension, so maybe there is something similar for compressor oil.

Have you talked to other garages around?

Once every other week have your maintenance man drain down the air to 50-60psi then let the compressor build back up,that will get the oil hot and burn off moisture.

you must have humidity there because my home compressor don't see allot of use either and i never have this problem.

Thanks all. Spoke to manufacturer again. He said only fix is to add or install a crankcase type heater of some sort. Any suggestions?

Are you positive it is not just tiny air bubbles. At work we have (8) 6000 psi breathing air compresssors. One of them which has a different block design than the others foams up when running and the oil looks "milky". That's just the way it is, and hasn't hurt it in thousands of hours of use.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
On the other hand, if it is water (UOA would confirm) could you add a water seperator to the intake side to remove the moisture before it enters the compressor?

This wont work unless the compressor i sucking water in droplets.
Waterseparators trap condesated water that comes with the air.
If you need to dry the air its either a cooling drier or some sort of absorption drier needed and thats way overkill for some tires.

Look for a turbine oil with a higher demulsifier, something that passes the stricter ASTM D-1401 standard. Then drain it before using it each time.

I have a 50/50 water oil mixture in my office that I periodically shake up and let settle to show people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back