We Stopped Buying WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed with the gallons. I think a gallon is about the same price as 4 spray cans. Don't buy the WD40 spray bottle though, it didnt last long for me, but I was dumb to spend $2.50 on it anyways for thinking it was special.

Go to the dollar store instead and get an adjustable one there. I got the gallon jug in late 07 and still have over a quart remaining, and thats after I foolishly used to spray my engine down with it and even spilt some when pouring.

Ronson Multi lube seems to work well. I don't have any proof, but I think it's a little thicker than WD40, which I think is good.

I have always shot some air into my cans of WD40 when they peter out. sort of a recharge.but it doesn't last very long.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this forum, but the best penetrating oil is a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid. Just Google it. Yes, you'll also see claims that it's bogus, but I've tried it and it really works. Best of all, those are ingredients I can usually find in my house. I just mix it up in an empty household spray cleaner bottle.

I find that many spray cans now have issues. Wonder where they are being made?

Besides WD40... deodorant, sunblock, cleaners, paint, primer, .... and various other pressured cans now suck.

I'm also finding a lot of pump bottles that don't last too long.

Great way to sell more product.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Besides WD40... deodorant, sunblock, cleaners, paint, primer, .... and various other pressured cans now suck.

+1

PB Blaster kinda stinks, but I'll never do a plug change without it. I also used it successfully to get a speed sensor that was bound in my trans that I couldn't get my hands without pulling the motor! PLus the spray stream is sharp which is good for hard to get spots.

Penetrating oil is a must have tool.

But WD is good to for jobs around the house where you can't have a strong solvent smell.

Last edited:
i have a very old can of spray MMO, not made any more. it must be at least 10 years old. still works. planed use is for my radio control trucks.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Hornet spray still flies out of the can.
01.gif

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 8:10 PM
Subject: Check Out The Difference Between Penetrating Oils and Homemade, AMAZING.......

READ THIS, I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THESE RESULTS. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THIS YEARS AGO........

The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None .................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds ... $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back