Cool little device for your phone and car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad my BMW is too old-no port.

BTW, I do have Dynolicious (performace measuring app) on my iPhone. Have not used it lately this winter.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If it included OBD monitoring (various temperature sensors, etc), it would be a slam dunk.

Yeah. For that, they would need to implement vehicle-specific PIDs, which I doubt they'd do at this price. It's most likely just a generic fault code reader.

It lacks real time data like coolant temp, oil temp, air temp, etc. If it can detect CELs, why not add those feature, too?

Garmin EcoDrive dongle for $99 does everything this thing does AND display real time data like mentioned above and still does OBD codes and CEL stuff.
Crash detection is nice though..

One of the name of the founders sounds familiar (David Palmer). I thought he started UltraGauge. The marketing method seems similar.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Garmin EcoDrive dongle for $99 does everything this thing does AND display real time data like mentioned above and still does OBD codes and CEL stuff.

Do you know if it can display oil temp on our cars?

IDK that for sure for BMWs specifically, but I remember someone posting about it showing oil temp on some forum post long time a go.

EDIT
frown.gif
oil temp only available with Android app.

Last edited:
EDIT
frown.gif

I'm assuming this is the Garmin Mechanic app that works with Garmin ecoRoute. I sent them an email asking if it's able to pull oil temp from my car.

Another much cheaper option is Torque app for android, but it can't read oil temp from my car even though it can read it from other cars.
frown.gif

I suppose if they know the bluetooth address of your phone, they could spoof being your phone and connect.

It just doesn't seem a major concern given the far more valuable targets out there to be hacked.

I.E. I think they would be more likely to hack your phone looking for your on-line banking info than hacking into a device attached to the OBD-II port of your car.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
So can someone driving by connect and see the data on your car?

It looks like a nice little device for the not so automotive inclined.

I love Torque Pro and my bluetooth adapter on my Android phone.

Some of the features make me want to promote it at work for all of us to have in our company cars, since we all have iPhone's.

But now I see it's only targeting the iPhone 4S and 5. Wonder if it will work on the 3GS.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
EDIT
frown.gif

I'm assuming this is the Garmin Mechanic app that works with Garmin ecoRoute. I sent them an email asking if it's able to pull oil temp from my car.

Got a response from Garmin: basically, they don't know because they do not have a list of what cars allow what features, and no way of testing all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back