OK to use Valvoline Maxlife in a newer car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
Simple answer - YES it's fine to use whenever you want.

+1. Rock that sauce! I have a whole cabinet of Maxlife and Maxlife NG waiting to go in and my car only has 35k on it. Already have had Maxlife ATF in the trans for the last 20k-what a great fluid and improvment over OE!

No, it isn't. You are to used an approved lubricant or risk potential warranty issues. I cannot get over the fact that people feel they can use whatever they want in the crankcase and the manufacturer is still liable for any mechanical issues with the engine that may arise during warranty.

Somebody please give me a logical reason why if somebody uses City Star oil in their brand new Focus and it spins a rod bearing that the manufacturer should be on the hook for the repairs and not the moronic or self-righteous owner who was either too stupid to read the manual or had their nose in the air while they proudly dumped "whatever they wanted" in the sump?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

No, it isn't. You are to used an approved lubricant or risk potential warranty issues. I cannot get over the fact that people feel they can use whatever they want in the crankcase and the manufacturer is still liable for any mechanical issues with the engine that may arise during warranty.

But MaxLife IS an API SN/GF-5 oil and does have the approved Ford specs for 5w20 and 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Inline200

But MaxLife IS an API SN/GF-5 oil and does have the approved Ford specs for 5w20 and 5w30.

Then as an approved lubricant, it is fine. My point was in reference to somebody saying "use whatever you want", an attitude that isn't all that uncommon.

BillyTheKid said:

Then as an approved lubricant, it is fine. My point was in reference to somebody saying "use whatever you want", an attitude that isn't all that uncommon.

Oh ok, just didn't want to confuse the OP. I definitely agree with that, even with the cars I care for out of warranty(As long as the spec. still exists)

YES you can use MaxLife in a new car. Valvoline clearly states that you can and I've spoken with Thom Smith about it. ZERO issues.

Valvoline arguably uses the best seal conditioners on the market that keep seals elastic. No swelling involved. If any, it's very small.

All oils have seal conditioners, HM just have a tad more.

*The product you want to avoid is the Stop Leak bottle stuff you throw in the crankcase. Avoid those.

Quote:
Valvoline MaxLife™ is the first motor oil specially formulated to address the unique needs of higher mileage engines. Valvoline MaxLife™ is a blend of synthetic and premium conventional basestocks with seal conditioning agents, extra cleaning agents, additional anti-wear additives and novel friction modifiers for added protection. MaxLife provides performance benefits for high mileage, new and re-built engines.

The very recently reformuated MaxLife does meet Ford's specs. But the stuff probably found on store shelves now does not: no "starburst", no WSS...945a. I'm betting the OP's MaxLife doesn't. It may have been a fine oil that will do no harm, but Ford's warranty language seems pretty clear.

This is nothing I would worry about especially if the OCI was within factory recommended intervals. From my experience Ford is not too worried what name brand motor oil the owner uses as long as obvious neglect is not found and using a valvoline product at specified intervals is not neglect.

Originally Posted By: buster
YES you can use MaxLife in a new car. Valvoline clearly states that you can and I've spoken with Thom Smith about it. ZERO issues.

Valvoline arguably uses the best seal conditioners on the market that keep seals elastic. No swelling involved. If any, it's very small.

All oils have seal conditioners, HM just have a tad more.

*The product you want to avoid is the Stop Leak bottle stuff you throw in the crankcase. Avoid those.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
Valvoline MaxLife™ is the first motor oil specially formulated to address the unique needs of higher mileage engines. Valvoline MaxLife™ is a blend of synthetic and premium conventional basestocks with seal conditioning agents, extra cleaning agents, additional anti-wear additives and novel friction modifiers for added protection. MaxLife provides performance benefits for high mileage, new and re-built engines.

Thanks. Sure beats "Yes" with no explanation. However I think you overreached putting all HM oils under the one blanket statement highlighted in red. Will explain. I'm hung up on what they call "conditioners" in HM oil because of the following:

A) M1 HM's official product description. "Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 advanced full synthetic motor oil is designed to help maximize engine performance and extend the engine life of vehicles with more than 75,000 miles." "Seal Conditioner. Helps to prevent leaks"
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx

B) M1 HM's FAQ.
- "higher level of seal-swell agents" http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/High_Mileage_Oil_Clogging.aspx
- "the seal swell additives in Mobil1 High Mileage can actually help re-swell the seal" http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Leaking_Seals.aspx
- "Mobil 1 High Mileage contains seal swell that will help eliminate leakage." http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...nventional.aspx
- "Mobil 1 High Mileage is formulated with seal swells that will help eliminate leakage." http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/High_Mileage_Vehicles.aspx

Are all of these mis-speaks? Wrong word? Wich one is it, "Seal Conditioner" or "higher level of seal-swell agents" ???!!!??? I do question whoever wrote.. "formulated with seal swells" and "contains seal swell". Written by somebody that lacks understanding of what they are posting IMO. But somebody that knows used the word. And I would imagine somebody reviewed the answers before they went out on the FAQ.

I'm not bought in that a conditioner alone can replace the chemistry of a shrunken seal returning it to its original size or anywhere close.. Soften it? Yeah. Replace the chemical composition of rubber? Impossible. IMO there's no way a rubber seal will recover its shape or size without a swelling agent once the seal has shrunk. What magic in a high mileage oil stops or prevents leak? Thickness? It can't just be that or could it? I use HM oil, and it can do what regular oil can't. Thats why I'm hung up with the word "conditioner" when it relates to a high mileage oil. Maybe somebody can straighten me out.

Those are valid points, but the problem is there are many different types of seal conditioners. Most of them are some type of ester.

Again though, all oils have to have seal contioners or some type of ingredient to prevent the shrinking and deterioration of engine seals. I bet concentrations vary even among regular non HM oils.

I HIGHLY doubt any of these HM products would contain amounts that would cause any type of problem. They are all tested very thoroughly and comply with all API standards.

Yes, we agree. That's exactly my point, exactly the problem. There are many different types of Seal conditioners, many interpretations of the word seal conditioners. Unless we know exactly what seal conditioner additive is used, exactly what is meant by seal conditioner, "use with confidence" should be replaced with "use with caution".

Read again - it says use whenever you want...not whatever

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Yes, we agree. That's exactly my point, exactly the problem. There are many different types of Seal conditioners, many interpretations of the word seal conditioners. Unless we know exactly what seal conditioner additive is used, exactly what is meant by seal conditioner, "use with confidence" should be replaced with "use with caution".

I hold the opinion that a HM oil isn't necessary until the car is at least 60k miles/5 years old. At that point, a HM may help preserve engine seals and prevent future leaks.

If one was to use a HM oil in a new car, hands down MaxLife is the best choice. They clearly state it's OK to do so.

Read again - it says use whenever you want...not whatever

:facepalm:

Sorry bud, looks like I misread your post. I apologize for that.

This oil meets API SN, so is fine for your car.
This is IMHO Valvoline's best oil, so use it with no worries.
If you ignore the "high mileage" shtick and look at the VOAs and UOAs, you'll have no problem using Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: Danh

The very recently reformuated MaxLife does meet Ford's specs. But the stuff probably found on store shelves now does not: no "starburst", no WSS...945a. I'm betting the OP's MaxLife doesn't. It may have been a fine oil that will do no harm, but Ford's warranty language seems pretty clear.

Actually it does.
kaj9x.jpg

Well, that's a jug of the new formulation which I haven't seen on our store shelves yet. Lucky you - you're all set.

This is the response I got from Valvoline regarding using MaxLife in a newer car and whether they use "seal swellers" or not:

"Thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support regarding NextGen Maxlife Motor Oil.

You can be assured the NextGen Maxlife Motor Oil will be perfectly fine in your 2011 Crown Victoria. While the Maxlife oils do have a high mileage formulation, they will all work great in brand new cars. The Maxlife products do not swell seals but have an additive that keeps the seals soft and pliable to avoid future cracking and deterioration. Many new car dealers throughout the country stock Maxlife in their bulk tank to use on the new and used cars on the lot.

The advantage to the NextGen Maxlife over the conventional is the benefit of the synthetic blend formula. The Maxlife and NextGen Maxlife both offer the 225,000 coverage under the Valvoline Engine Guarantee program.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at [email protected] for assistance.

Thank you and have a great day.
Mike
Valvoline Product Support"

Looks like I'll be stepping up to NextGen Maxlife on my car next change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back