What Oil filter for '07 Honda Odyssey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

What is the best oil filter for the '07 Honda Odyssey?

- Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A01
- Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A02
- Mann-Filter ML 1008
- Royal Purple 10-2867
- Purolator PL14610 PureONE
- Wix 51356
- Bosch 3323

The filter should be compatible to 5W30 Oil and should last at least 7,500 miles.

So far I found out Royal Purple and Purolator are probably the best oil filters?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GYGuy81
- Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A01
- Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A02

Honda says that these two are identical for fit and performance. The difference is the company that supplies it.
A01 = Filtech (assembled in US from overseas components)
A02 = FRAM (made in Canada)

Both filters are of excellent quality. Use of them and timely oil-changes will result in an engine that will easily last well over 400,000 miles.

Being in Germany, you may see different part numbers from the numbers above, which are what we get in North America, but the specs will be the same.

As of 2002, here's what Honda says about all their oil filters, regardless of where made:
"...filter out at least 70 percent of the particles
that are 30 microns or larger, and 85 percent of the
particles that are 40 microns or larger."

This performance is more than sufficient to prevent damaging wear to the oil pump and the bearings (the components most affected by particulate matter). Even better filtration may actually cause flow-volume problems under certain conditions, so don't necessarily go by who has the best particulate-filtration numbers.

Spare parts are here very expensive. That's why I want to order them in the U.S. .
I already placed an order for engine air filters (Honda original parts) but the oil filter seems to be a science for it's own. Not sure what Oil filter I should order. Especially because it seems that the Honda OEM oil filter (especially the A02) don't have a good reputation. I read that people preferable use Royal Purple 10-2867 or Purolator PL14610 PureONE oil filters instead of Honda OEMs.

I see that you have few posts, but have lurked a long time; therefore I presume you're not a "newbie".

That in mind, you likely should know that a loose definition of the word "best" will result in a very broad, nearly meaningless set of answers.

So - if you intent to run 7.5k mile OCIs (which is very reasonable in today's lube/filter world) then I'd say the "best" filter is the least expensive of all of those. I cannot tell you which that would be, because I have no idea of the sourcing and pricing you'll be getting in Germany.

ANY of those filters will more than suffice; they will all do a great job at that projected OCI duration. In fact, I suspect they all could reasonably surpass that limit. I recently ran a Purolator Classic (white can) "normal" filter in a 10k mile OCI. UOA came back fine.

Buying a "better" filter (as seen in a lab ISO study) does not directly translate into "better" wear protection in the real world, under normal conditions. While I completely agree that filtration is very important, I'm trying to confer to you that once a minimum threshold of solid performance is met, using a "better" filter will not return any tangible evidence of reduced wear.

In short, if you ran several UOAs with a "normal" filter used at 7.5k miles, and then several with a premium filter at that same limit, the typical normal UOA variation would be much greater than the neglible difference in wear reduction from the filter selection. The "normal" sigma noise would be greater than any tiny benefit the uprated filter could ever hope to provide. I say that because I've got literally thousands upon thousands of UOAs to back that up with macro analysis. You could run your own series of micro-analysis tests, but that would take you WAY longer and WAY more money than I suspect you'd be interested in putting into this; it would take 450k miles of tests, with no other variables in play. I doubt you're up for that.

In greatly extended OCIs, the filtration efficiency and capacity most certainly are in play and would make a much greater difference. But few folks realize that wear is often still retreating, even when moving out towards 15k miles. That in mind, at 1/2 that interval (being 7.5k miles) both the lube and fitler are still way under-utilized.

Of all the data I've collected and seen, the effect of finer filtration from a "better" filter will never return any tangible benefit in a "normal" application. That is because the filter is not the only player in wear avoidance. Both the add-pack and the OCI duration also have a major influence. In fact, they actually have MORE influence over wear, once the filtration meets a safe minimum level.

Conceptually, filtration is important only up to the point that it provides a safe operating level, then any gain past that has a very steep law of diminishing return. After that threshold is met, it is the OCI and add-pack that control wear. Since most all decent branded filters can provide that safe minimum level, then the "better" filters really cannot distinguish themselves in real world performance. They might be "better" in the lab, but that does not directly translate into reality in the crankcase.

So - buy the cheapest, decent quality filter you can find and maximize your savings. Please note that I'm not suggesting you buy the cheapest no-name filter on the black market; that would NOT be my suggestion. I'm saying that choosing the least cost filter of several reputable brands is the key. Get the difference!

That is my definition of "best" for you application.

I would use at least a Purolator PureONE, and would prefer the new Purolator Synthetic filter for this application. The Honda V-6 beats up oil more than many engines; you want a premium filter on this engine.

I would not run a Honda OEM filter unless you ran it for two oil change intervals. The Honda OEM filters, like many Japanese filters, have a very low efficiency, but have a greater capacity. They're designed to be on the engine for a very long time (for reduced maintenance costs) and their efficiency improves as they load up with contaminants, as is the case with most types of filters. In my opinion, changing a Honda OEM filter at every oil change reduces the effectiveness of the filter, because by the time it begins to load with contaminants and become more efficient, you replace it with a new and rather inefficient media.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The Honda V-6 beats up oil more than many engines; you want a premium filter on this engine.

Yes, especially with the VCM engines. Along with a good filter, use SYNTHETIC oil if you want to go over a 5000 mile OCI with Honda's VCM's. Royal Purple has one of the best filters on the planet.

Hi,

The oil filter in GY costs 18USD, the air filter costs 54usd. This is why it makes sense for me to order them in the US. Maintenance in Germany is in general more expensive.

This is the reason why I like to order the filter from
Amazon.com as they also have low shipping costs. Just have no idea which one to pick.

Having only recently bought the Accord 4cyl, I've been shopping for filters also. Honda filters on EBAY were really priced well, around $5 USD I think, but I finally chose Fram ULTRA because I run oil 10K miles and wanted a filter capable of that. Fram claims its a 15K filter so thats more than sufficient for me. The 4cyl uses XG7317. A four pak was $30, 6 Pak even cheaper.

I don't give much on marketing videos. :) Every company wants to make their product looking good.
For me it's important that I have a good oil filter that at least last the 7,500 miles.
Just would like to get an advise which one to take :)

So either the Purolator or Royal Purple are the ones to go for?

I don't know all the prices for all the filters you listed, but I doubt Royal Purple costs "twice as much" as all the rest.

In response to your question "which one is best", I would honestly say Royal Purple. 99.99% efficiency, and outstanding construction.

Amazon.com
==========
Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter $5.99
Royal Purple 10-2867 Oil Filter $13.49

It's more than double

I'd go with the PL14610, although I'm sure they are all better than average and with the exception of the Mann and RP I've used them all. The Mann might not be at the same level as the rest but I have used their Air and Cabin filters and they were pretty good. If you are in Germany I'm not sure if the Bosch would be a rebadged purolator like it is in the US (yeah yeah, different media, ok).

Double all the rest of them? Then maybe so.

I still say RP is "the best". You get what you pay for. That was your question, correct? Which one was "the best"?

In Germany you never ever get a premium oil filter for $6.
So even with the shipping costs I save plenty of money.

Currently I would go for the the PL14610 as it is much cheaper but
still a 'Premium' oil filter. Or maybe I order three Royal Purple and three
Purolator and will open them after use to check how they did ... :)

I would add Bosch Distance+ D3323, Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-110, and K&N HP-1010 to your list, but these may be more than what you need. There's some posts with some cut open pureone PL14610 that have some issues with them. Honda OEMs are good, some prefer the filtech -A01 ones over the fram -A02, but honda says both are equivalent and the owners manual says filter change every other oil change so they should both be equally good.

The "best" for the use in an Odyssey ...

So even if something is the "best" it might be "too much".
So might be that the RP is the best filter but it doesn't make sense using in an Odyssey because it would last much longer than 7,500 miles,

So maybe there is a oil filter that mighy not be the "best", but more than good enough for use on an Odyssey.

Hope you understand what I mean

Currently I use K&N HP-1010. I used them since the last 40,000 miles but I certainly replaced them every 7,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back