4.3 Vortec using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a 2003 4.3L in my silverado with about 85000miles. It uses about 1/2 quart over the 3 or 4000 mi oci's i do with castrol GTX 10W30. Does this sound normal. A lot of chevys are oil drinkers i guess

Last edited:
If it has a lot of wear, that isn't totally out of the norm.

Have you tried a HM oil, like Castrol GTX HM? It is only a few bucks more than regular GTX, gives you seal swellers, and is a syn blend. It can be worth the bump in cost.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
got a 2003 4.3L in my silverado with about 85000miles. It uses about 1/2 quart over the 3 or 4000 mi oci's i do with castrol GTX 10W30. Does this sound normal. A lot of chevys are oil drinkers i guess

1/2 quart over a 3 or 4K OCI seems normal to me, what does not seem normal is why you would change oil so often. Do you get stuck in traffic or go off roading in dusty conditions a lot?

Many people wish there vehicle only used a pint every 3 to 4,000 miles. That is barely considered burning oil, I wouldn't even worry about it, I wouldn't even think about high mileage oil at this point. Have you always used Castrol or just recently. Switching brands sometimes increases oil consumption for maybe the first couple of changes than everything returns back to normal. High Mileage oil is fine if you have valve seal issues, if oil is getting past your rings, then it won't do much good.

Last edited:
i drive it about 6 miles a day. so the engine is usualy cold when im driving it. I like to change it about 1x or 2x a year

Last edited:
If you haven't done it already you should change the PCV valve. At 85000 miles it's due to be replaced. A faulty one can cause oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: Topo
Many people wish there vehicle only used a pint every 3 to 4,000 miles. That is barely considered burning oil, I wouldn't even worry about it, I wouldn't even think about high mileage oil at this point.
Exactly what I was about to say.

Sleep well at night.

Originally Posted By: jegs
If you haven't done it already you should change the PCV valve. At 85000 miles it's due to be replaced. A faulty one can cause oil consumption.

Agreed!! But half a quart every 3 to 4, 000 miles isnt burning oil imo its using it. Which using a small amount is kind a good thing. Wouldnt sweat it.

My moms 4.3 v6 96 blazer will torch through a quart every 1-2k or so on GTX, I caught it 2 qts low last weekend when I was home from college... so much for her checking and adding every 500 miles -.- at 210k it just keeps chugging a long.

I had a 4.3 V6 in my 93 blazer, the water pump failed but I kept driving it to work 8 miles away, it over heated everyday I went to work (both ways) for an entire summer until I bought my grand am and I drove the truck to the junk yard. This was far before I ever cared for a vehicle, but I am still amazed to this day at how much abuse that thing took...

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
i drive it about 6 miles a day. so the engine is usualy cold when im driving it. I like to change it about 1x or 2x a year

If you do only short trips where you don't even get to normal operating temp then cut the OCI to half of normal, although leave the oil filter in place for the full recommended interval. What does help is a good session on a Sunday morning on the nearest highway, as that will get rid of most of the fuel contamination and burn some carbon out of the cylinders. Once a month minimum for at least an hour.
If you don't like changing oil too often, then move up to Castrol Edge 5/30 and get a UOA done at 5K miles, as even with severe service issues that should be OK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back