Rotella T 15-40 in a Kohler Courage 20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some Rotella 15-40 that I'd like to use up and the lawnmower has the aforementioned engine which specs nothing heavier than 10w-30, which is what I've always used.

Do you guys think it would be OK to use the 15w-40 for summer mowing operations (no winter use)?

I run that in my two courage motors every year.the 30wt made the motor's noisy and almost rough sounding.the 15w40 will smooth those motors out very nice although some may argue the 40wt may have too much drag resulting in overheating.

From my personal experience i belive the the rotella is helping more than hurting,but give it a try and im sure you will hear and feel the difference

Rotella 15w40 is what I ran in the Courage 20 V-twin on my Cub Z-Force ZTR. Also used the equiv to Motorcraft FL400 oil filters on it.

I found 15w-40 to be too thick in some small engine applications. I'm now using Rotella 10w-30.

Since you're in PA, just be cautious if you're *ever* going to run it in cold temperatures.

I have a GT2544 with a kohler command 20 in it. Not sure exactly what the difference between the command and courage is.I have run 5w40 and 15w40 in it for the last 5 years. Mostly 5w40 but at least two summers on 15w40. I also run it in the winter alot. Mostly 30s and 40s. When we ever get snow, i have it out pulling the kids on sleds and stuff. If you dont plan in running it in the winter, I dont see any reason at all you cant use your 15w40.

Thanks for the input guys! This engine is not a V-twin--it's a single cylinder, air-cooled. As far as engine noise, I've always thought it ran good on the 10w-30. Because I only have a quart of the 15w-40 and the sump takes 1.6 quarts, I may add 0.6 quarts of some 5w-20 syn to thin it out a bit. . .

I would run in on the right oil and save the Rotella T for something else. Use it as make-up oil somewhere. The Rotella T is excellent oil in the right application, like a diesel truck or tractor.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I have a GT2544 with a kohler command 20 in it. Not sure exactly what the difference between the command and courage is.I have run 5w40 and 15w40 in it for the last 5 years. Mostly 5w40 but at least two summers on 15w40. I also run it in the winter alot. Mostly 30s and 40s. When we ever get snow, i have it out pulling the kids on sleds and stuff. If you dont plan in running it in the winter, I dont see any reason at all you cant use your 15w40.

I ran 15w40 in my 2544 as well.

Even though the OP's 20hp is a Courage single cyl which are a design all their own, I'd personally still run 15w40 in it over a normal passenger car 10w30. If you have 10w30 HDEO on hand, that's great too.

OTOH.. I don't get the fears people have with cold start issues using 15w40? 15w40 is a 15w for cold starts where SAE30 is molasses.

Joel

Last edited:
I have been running 15W40 in my B&S Intek single cylinder for the four years I've owned it. You can run the 15W40 down to 20 deg. F safely, but lubrication will take longer as the temps drop. If you're going to run it year-round, I'd go with the 5W40 or Rotella T5 10W30 semi-syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back