GM parts confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at P/S pumps for my 02 Chevy Silverado when I'm looking at two pumps with trucks with the Luxury Pkg (Y91) or without the Luxury Pkg. Both have reservoirs, remanufactured, same brand. Only difference is the price, cheapest pump being for trucks with the luxury pkg.

Mine does not have the Luxury Pkg but what is the difference between the two?

Last edited:
Do not really know the exact difference but my best guess would be the one for the luxury package probably has variable assist steering. The lesser priced trucks usually just have straight up power steering. Most likely would not interchange and that would explain the price difference. Again I am not sure but GM seems to do this with many of their vehicles. Most popular wiht the more expensive Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs and Pontiacs. You would have to find the label in your vehicle that lists the options that you have and see if yours lists Y91 or not. Probably the easiest and most painless way to find out. Many of the trucks have it in the glovebox, not sure if that applies to yours or not. Hopefully someone with a similar vehicle can chime in and let you know where to look.

Pretty sure Y91=Escalade=hydroboost (PS pump makes the brake assist). Different pump specs to support the added requirements.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's not hydroboost. From the description for part 20756710:

For: K1(53) BRK VAC PWR DISC(JC5),LUXURY EDITION PKG(Y91) (2001-2002) (2001 - 2002).

Looks vacuum to me!

Looking at the catalog, the pumps that list Y91 are for 7200 lb GVWR vehicles, while the non-Y91 pumps are for 6400 lb vehicles.

I believe Y91 just indicates a high level of luxury (Denali, Escalade, H2, etc.). Apparently Y91 required a 7400 lb GWVR in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back