Metal Valve Stems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had cars with wheels equipped with, but mostly without them.

Any real reason to have them for a street car?

It's nice to have a solid target that won't flop around when trying to take pressures, but other than that, I can't think of any other advantages for a typical driver.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Many trailer and heavy truck tires have them, they're a LOT more durable than the rubber ones!

Yeah but for a typical car tire that lasts 6-7 years and gives 70k worth of use, would you ever leave the old stem in re-use it?

I leave them in the old 14.5 MH trailer wheels on my utility trailer all the time, just put in new schrader cores. My tire guy calls them the "lifetime" valve stems, and since I only seem to get 2-3 years out of the all-rubber ones (on a trailer)-I'm not complaining. Just to be clear, I'm referring to the metal stems held in with a nut-the LT metal insert ones get replaced with every new tire.

My cars with TPMS sensors have metal (suspected Aluminum alloy) stems. You have to be carefull with a pencil pressure gage as they can get somehow hung on the stems and bend the last 1 or 2 threads slightly then the cap wont thread on.

I used to use them, but had so many leaks even with the seals properly installed, and the nuts torqued down correctly.

So I went back to VERY short (like 4") rubber stems which DO NOT bend when checking pressures, and do not stick out like the way too long rubber stems most tire/auto parts places use and sell.
I also replace them every time the tire comes off of the wheel.

The rubber gaskets on the metal valve stems are good only for the lifetime of the rubber. Yes, long lived being out of the sun, but they are still a source of occasional failure.

Ah. So I guess the consensus is that they offer little advantage for most folks. I'll stick with the rubber stems.

Just a quick counter point. I have an aluminum wheel that would not seal to rubber valve stems. I had the valve stem replaced many times and had the hole for the valve stem cleaned too. A few months after installing a new valve stem, it would start to leak. I finally cleaned the hole carefully myself and carefully installed a metal valve stem. It hasn't leaked since and it's been two or three years.

What are some good sources for non-Chinese metal stems? I will need some before next spring when I upgrade my trailer tires, which will run at 65 psi.

Originally Posted By: weebl
What are some good sources for non-Chinese metal stems? I will need some before next spring when I upgrade my trailer tires, which will run at 65 psi.
I have some here rated 3000 psi used in hydraulic accumulators. I don't know the MANUFACTURER, but all accumulator manufacturers appear to use identical ones.Fairly common to have SAE#5 (1/2-20 with o-ring) ... needs a flat surface so not really useful on a wheel.

I have a box of Eaton metal valve stems. They seem to hold pressure really well. I have a set of Konig Villian 17x9 wheels with Michelin Pilots in my garage that have sat for about 5 years with those stems in there. The tire pressure has not changed at all in those 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back