If you have ever wondered how much those Toyota, GM, Honda, etc. factory alloy wheels weigh.. you can find out here.

If you have ever wondered how much a particular factory wheel weighs, you either try to hunt down that information through the forums hoping someone has accurately weighed it and published it somewhere, at some time, but you can also find a lot of that info here, all in a single place.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ss...houston&_oac=1&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ss...houston&_oac=1&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211

You may observe that in general, factory wheels are pretty heavy (about 20 to 30% heavier than many aftermarket options.)

Generally speaking, if the spokes are thick--it's going to be heavier.

So, why are they so heavy? I think it has to do with cost of manufacturing, ultimately. It cost a lot of money to make lighter weight wheels and OEMs won't take a chance in reducing wheel weight (it's about safety) by using less cast metal--and yes I'm sure they are almost allll produced using casting. Only specialized performance cars will use forging or flow forming.

How much does wheel weight matter? I'm not 100% sure about that but I can say that when I went with my first aftermarket set of wheels and tires, I actually increased the weight from factory and I felt it immediately.

WHeels and tires are really the only way you can control the rotational unsprung weight--you can't really opt for lighter rotors (typically 15 to 20 pounds for most cars) and you can't opt for lighter calipers (typically 12 pounds) nor knuckles (another 15 to 20 pounds.)

Last edited:
If you have ever wondered how much a particular factory wheel weighs, you either try to hunt down that information through the forums hoping someone has accurately weighed it and published it somewhere, at some time, but you can also find a lot of that info here, all in a single place.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ss...houston&_oac=1&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ss...houston&_oac=1&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211

You may observe that in general, factory wheels are pretty heavy (about 20 to 30% heavier than many aftermarket options.)

Generally speaking, if the spokes are thick--it's going to be heavier.

So, why are they so heavy? I think it has to do with cost of manufacturing, ultimately. It cost a lot of money to make lighter weight wheels and OEMs won't take a chance in reducing wheel weight (it's about safety) by using less cast metal--and yes I'm sure they are almost allll produced using casting. Only specialized performance cars will use forging or flow forming.

How much does wheel weight matter? I'm not 100% sure about that but I can say that when I went with my first aftermarket set of wheels and tires, I actually increased the weight from factory and I felt it immediately.

WHeels and tires are really the only way you can control the rotational unsprung weight--you can't really opt for lighter rotors (typically 15 to 20 pounds for most cars) and you can't opt for lighter calipers (typically 12 pounds) nor knuckles (another 15 to 20 pounds.)
Of course you can opt out for lighter rotors. Toyota and Honda always had undersized brakes precisely bcs. unsprung weight.

Last edited:
I weighed a tire & wheel assembly for my w123 benz. The 14" Bundt wheel and Hankook H727 tire together weighed 30 lbs. A delight!

I weighed a tire & wheel assembly for my w123 benz. The 14" Bundt wheel and Hankook H727 tire together weighed 30 lbs. A delight!
Yes, that's a delight--wait till you see my soon-to-be-delivered wheel+tire combo. It'll come in at 26.

My Toyota Soarer original wheels 15x6 + tyres 205/65 R15 weighed 43lb
I switched to Volk racing Meshes 16x7 with 215/55 R16 it weighed 38lb
5lb reduction per wheel, for a total of 20lb reduction on all 4 wheels. The car does feel better to drive.

If that was a steel style wheel it could have actually been aluminum. My 240D has light forged “steelies” made of Al under its hubcaps.

Thanks for sharing. I'm always curious which factory wheels are lighter after I realized how much of a difference it can make.

My winter setup is ~5 lbs heavier per corner (33 lbs total) and I absolutely feel the difference on a vehicle with only 170hp and a 3600lb curb weight. Acceleration and braking performance are noticeably worse. I can feel that the suspension is less responsive to impacts as well. Overall, the vehicle feels less nimble but some of that could be attributed to the different tire compound.

Makes me wonder what I'm missing out on another vehicle with 50 lb anchors in each corner.

i-6crrMwF-L.jpg

Subaru 17’s that came on 6 cylinder and turbo Gen 3 Outbacks weigh 24 lbs each.

i-HKWKbHH-L.jpg

We replaced them with JDM BBS forged wheels that are stronger and weigh under 16 lbs.

Back