What is your air filter change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: r34dy2fly
Call it a waste of money but I just follow the manufacturers recommendation. I do all the work on my car as a hobby so I don't mind going out and buying a $20 OEM air filter. Figure this was money better spent than with another hobby.

Car manufacturer or filter manufacturer ?

I change mine once per car. Ones I'm keeping get K&N's since finding filters is tough for most of mine. lesser vehicles I don't keep long.

I follow the maintenance schedule. Both cars call for 30K interval under normal conditions and they aren't even that dirty when I change them. I do the cabin filters at the same time and they are slightly more filled with crud.

I change mine annualy, best 10 bucks I spend on my car
thumbsup2.gif

I was all set to head to the dealership and pick up a filter for my wife's Mazda3 today since it's sitting at 25k miles or so since I changed it last time. I just had to happen upon this thread and make me second guess my plans! I've been itching to change the filter in my WRX too at only 15k miles, or maybe waiting until 20k miles, but that's probably premature too.

My rationale is that we fairly frequently drive on dirt roads (in both cars). The Subaru sucks its air straight from the front grille, too, so whatever's in the air has a clear path to the filter.

Maybe I will skip them both for now...

Ok I finally changed mine after 150,000km (~94K miles) because it had been 4 years to the day since I got the car and decided to celebrate...that and I was already underhood for an oil change. The filter looked a little dusty, but its was still in excellent shape.

The car behaved the same under all conditions.

Originally Posted By: widman
Nissan requires me to change. Every 10000 km for the warantee. When it passes that period, 50000 km, i'll have 5 filters to put back in and change by restriction.

Richard, I just changed the air filters on the G37. It turns out the warranty interval is 24,000 km. It's lower than I thought, but not as bad as what you face. Still, it's a real pity. The filter looked almost brand new, and no sign of any debris going past the filter. Everything was clean and the seals fit perfectly.

On the fresh air side of the filters, there were maybe a hundred grains of sand and a dragonfly's wing. I think restriction gauges are in my future. The filters are very cheap from my supplier, but it's still a waste.

Originally Posted By: KenO
I change it when it looks so plugged dirt has completely filled up the pleats. The dirty they are, the better they filter;

Really? I thought dirtier they are, the more dirt gets passed it and into the engine?

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
Originally Posted By: KenO
I change it when it looks so plugged dirt has completely filled up the pleats. The dirty they are, the better they filter;

Really? I thought dirtier they are, the more dirt gets passed it and into the engine?

Start from the beginning on this thread and read all of it. You will then understand.

6000 miles, or once about every 10 months..
just took out a Fram Toughguard 8997
Replaced with a Wix 42385

Once per year in August I also clean the throttle body and do not need to worry about checking it at colder times of the year.
The NAPA Pro Select I use are $4.05 today and are a great air filter value for a 12 month interval.

Toto.

Still using the same A/F I posted about in this thread (almost) a year ago.

Now has 63,000 miles and about 29 months on it. I checked it in September and it looks well used but not as bad as some I've changed. No noticeable performance difference.

Will be installing a gauge or replacing around the 70-75k mile mark.

Whenever the filter minder says to change it. So far, it hasn't told me to change the one that was already there when I installed it. Maybe a year ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back