Toyota sludge picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by katsdad:
Oh well...so much for discussing ideas and products to clean something like this up.

Thanks Pablo for your input.

Auto rx has the claim to fame for this type of problem. You might want to see how auto rx would do for your garage cleaning.

I myself use neutra 131. The neutra 131 can do it as well, but I adjust the treat application for different situations as not every application may need severe cleaning.

Got to also remember, when doing a cleaning such as this, it takes time to clean and work. It took awhile to accumulate in the engine and so it will take time to clean this accumulation. If a cleaner is more aggressive than that, it will clog the oil strainer and starving the oil from the engine causing more damage than started.

Bob...what would be your recommended mix rate of 131 for a severe application...not as bad as your picture but pretty messy. Thanks

I believe Bob has made it clear Toyota Sludge is an Auto-Rx type problem one of which we have been very successful in cleansing and keeping the engine free of "Sludge" Auto-Rx is not an additive or solvent based it works on liquification of contaminants (sludge is a contaminant ) did you know many Toyota owners who got a top half rebuild on there engine developed "Sludge" in the first 2000 miles again ?
You don't want to shock the metal and hope you did not get a piece of sludge stuck in the oil screen or a piston port or a wrist pin. Now you do have a siezed engine. Think about the condition of the seals covered in this severe contamination there is several reasons why you should use Auto-Rx not the least being if we can't fix it you don't pay. Thanks Bob for stating the case for not using solvents for this type of problem

quote:

Originally posted by monarch:
To katsdad:

Here is alot of detail instruction on how to clean up a sludged Toyota engine.
http://www.yotarepair.com/Engine_replace.html

Note the recommended cleaner is cheap, ordinary
diesel oil.

Well, that guy is very mis informed about cleaning an engine. All he managed to do is clean the bottom and top, which in my opinion is a lot of work the way he goes about it. What about the ring pack around the pistion? what about the area where the seals are? what about the area where this is in the hollow cams where you can't see? He is correct about the valve cover as it is a welded shield that deflects the oil from slinging from the gears. I could go on... Point is, doing what he suggests leaves a lot of areas not touched and also may leave some big residue not found due to loosing it all up then it hits the pickup screen and now you lost your motor.

To further this, Toyota pays the shops for over hauls on the engines and for them to get paid, they have to pull the rod bearings and replace them, the rings, and any bad pistons that are scored. Also, if any piston scores the wall, it automaticly gets a short block. To get paid on this job, they have to send in the above parts to establish they did in fact do that job.

worshippy.gif
I gotta say, that Bob seems to make salient points when discussing the Toyota sludge problem. Monarch, just about everybody would agree that Toyota makes generally superior products, but why do you assume that just because there are lots of hi-mileage Toyotas running around LA, that they absolutely could not have marketed a design that is less effective than what they intended, or that consumers are used to?
confused.gif
There is a scientific theory called 'The Law of Unintended Circumstances', and it appears that maybe Toyota got 'caught' in this. The reduction of additives from SH to SJ, the extended drain intervals(which we all know is just advertising hype),operating heat, mechanical effects of the engine design and unique and specific driving conditions have all OBVIOUSLY contributed to those particular engines having the unintended circumstance of building excess sludge. Bob obviously talks like he knows what he's talkin' about, and he seems to have the facts(a lot of them!) to back up his claims. Plus, when you add up all those facts, they only make sense! Monarch, you on the other hand seem hell-bent on trying to convince everybody that your theory is true based not on facts or supporting evidence, but on the opinions of Toyota 'techs'(do you consider dealership personell 'techs'?), specious, simplistic conclusions and single-cause reactions. This particular problem with sludging is obviuosly caused by a myriad of circumstances and driving conditions. There is not, and could not possibly be one singular factor that could lead to this problem in all these situations. Like your insistence on the faulty PVC system.(which by the way, is PCV, not PVC. One is an automotive emissions device, and the other is a plastic pipe.)If the PCV system was completely disconnected, it is still not possible for the non-functioning PCV system to cause such a precipitous drop in viscosity. The cause is obviuosly to be found, at least partly elsewhere. Yet, for some reason you keep singin' the blues about the 'faulty PVC systems'. I don't mean to stay up here on my soap box, but when I someone trying thier best NOT to learn something, and continually claiming the same disproven theories, it kind' gets me going.
freak2.gif

I apologize to the board if that post comes off overly petty, but thats how I feel. I still have to deal with this person on the Toyota board on topics that are dicussed here.
If the Administrator or moderators wish to delete the above post for whatever reason, please do...I'm trying to get it out of my system and move on.
smile.gif

(Can't really since he's on the other board
mad.gif
grin.gif
)
Toy4x4

I went to the Toyota forum that 'Toy4x4' mentioned above, and it seems that 'Monarch' does indeed change the details of his story to fit the circumstances. Oh well...
On another note, Bob, I must take exception to your insinuation that 'Monarch' is a salesman because of his blah,blah,blah.
I have been a sales consultant for over 25 years, and worked for Ford motor for several of those years.
I take pride in being able to effectively sell to the customer what they want and need, without having to resort to lies and half-truths, or brow-beating them. I think product knowledge is the key.(Thats why I like these kinds of forums-they're good for me!). If you give the customer all the correct information, and if they truly need or want it, they will generally think "That only makes sense!I'll take it!"
I have been in the quick-lube field for about 10 years or so, and with the proper knowledge and techniques, this is an easy, money-making business! Of course, we've got a lot of morons in our field too. It is a challenge, since we basically start with teenage minimum-wage earners. But they learn quick, and with pride and knowledge they become great'lube-techs'.(There is a lot more to being a good 'lube-tech' than most would believe.)
Anyhoo...This site is really gonna' help keep the 'facts' straight. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back