Really? REALLY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably crack or meth heads looking for a cheap score.

I agree with the comment about these worthless drugged up zombies getting brazen and touching high voltage lines and getting ROASTED
alive. Serves em right. I hope more of em get removed from the population this way too.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Because thieves are the scum of the Earth.

You're giving them far too much respect! Technically, they're vandals who do a little thieving on the side.
grin.gif

Busted windows and stolen copper? Are you sure this is an are in which you want to live?

I'd think twice about a neighborhood such as that.

I heard they're enhancing ID verification at the scrap facilities in the Detroit area. They're considering thumb prints for each transaction.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Busted windows and stolen copper? Are you sure this is an are in which you want to live?

I wish I could tell that it was a bad area-but it's not. You see this ALL over Michigan-which only goes to show how bad things are here.

When you see this happen to million dollar homes here, it explains just how crazy things are. Our state is just an "amped" version of what is really going on.

I have friends reporting the same things in their states, just not to the extreme that it is here.

I could go on, but it would be unwise to get political...but it would explain a bunch....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I wish I could tell that it was a bad area-but it's not. You see this ALL over Michigan-which only goes to show how bad things are here.

When you see this happen to million dollar homes here, it explains just how crazy things are. Our state is just an "amped" version of what is really going on.

I have friends reporting the same things in their states, just not to the extreme that it is here.

I could go on, but it would be unwise to get political...but it would explain a bunch....

Crazy isn't it? I feel for you guys living in places like urban MI. It makes Charlotte look semi-sane. A "good neighborhood" isn't what it used to be, at least not in many places. I live in a "good neighborhood" and still worry about home invasions.

Sorry about that.

Copper theft is everywhere. Hopefully they were nice enough to at least shut the water off before doing it.

A friend a week before finding a tenant for his new commercial building had his copper stolen (est $20k). The thieves did not cut the water to the well pump which also ran dry....

He put pex back in.

The cooper prices are nice. An old copper water heater left in my basement yielded myself about $140. I doubt it sold for that much back when new.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
A house' worth of copper pipe has got to be worth at least $20 as scrap. Someone probably made a good $7/hour tax free stealing from you and didn't even have to do any honest work. He doesn't care what it cost you any more than you care what a steak costs the cow it came from. Less if you're one of those vegetarian types. It's a way of life for some of these people.

you obviously haven't checked copper prices lately... you could rip $20 worth of aluminum siding off a house.
scrap metal prices

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
A house full of copper translates into probably at least a couple hundred bucks, which is then worth at least... I don't know - a whole bunch of meth.

not to justify stealing/vandalizing, but copper theft is an indicator of how bad things have gotten.
in my neighborhood on garbage day, there are at least 3 guys who drive around picking over people's stuff looking for ANY metal. one guy comes out w/ his kid even, training him in the family business I guess...
I met them once, not the sharpest knives in the drawer. they looked at a 5mm allen head bolt on a bed frame like they were looking at a spaceship. Dad goes "I don't think I got anything like that"
I'm thinking 'really?' in this day and age, you've never seen an allen head bolt?
he then said he'll just use his sledge hammer...

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Dave told me where the house is. It's not that bad an area.

It could be in Beverly Hills, CA and dirty bags will still steal from the house.
Even houses that are lived in are getting stripped when the occupants go to work.

There's something funny with the prevalence of houses that are about to close having the copper stolen from them. Of the 4 people I know that have had this happen, 3 were within a few weeks of closing when it happened.

I put out my recycle bins yesterday afternoon, the recycle truck comes by every Wednesday. I went out later in the day yesterday to add a few Coke cans to the bins, and found that someone had gone through both bins and taken every single aluminum can out of both bins..I have never seen that here in this neighborhood before. I guess they can sell aluminum the same as they can sell copper. I imagine aluminum is worth less than copper though. If they want the cans out of my trash or recycling bins they can have them, but they had better stay out of my house..

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
I got $21 for 8 pound sheet of copper... that's why! No didn't steal it my grandpa had it in his shed and was tired of looking at it. He was floored when he found out what it brought.

When did $20 become worth committing a crime for?

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I guess they can sell aluminum the same as they can sell copper. I imagine aluminum is worth less than copper though.

yes, aluminum is valuable. cans trade at a higher price than just scrap aluminum IIRC, last I checked it was around .55-.65/lb.

Dave, sorry to hear about this. The house next door to mine is owned by some people in California; they're planning to retire here. Anyway, they had all the copper stripped out as well. Makes me mad because I try and be the best neighbor I can be but the thieves came in the night and cleaned it out. I actually suspect it was friends of some contractors doing work in the house.

Copper theft is rampant.

A few weeks (or months) ago there was a "contractor" that called the fire dept because he smelled gas in a building he was working on.

The police and fire department called the owner to let them know that a gas leak was reported by the contractor.

Long story short, the owner said that there was no work being done. Turns out someone was trying to steal a furnace and fittings, forgot to turn the gas off and [not surprisingly] sprung a leak. Then decided to call authorities to have the utiltiies turned off.

These people are some real winners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back