Quaker State 'Defy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chainblu
My local WM has 5W30 Defy. It is in the spot where the QSHM 5W30 used to be. It's the same price as the HM oil, but it makes me wonder if the intent of QS was to REPLACE the regular HM oil...

It's obvious this stuff is the replacement for the QSHM oil - it's in the same style of reddish bottle, and its for older vehicles...

Probably trying to differentiate it from all the other oils marked 'high mileage' on the shelf....

It makes sense to replace the old HM.
They are doing what Mobil 1 has with the boosted zinc and the SL rating. I wonder if they will make a 10w-40 in SN like Mobil 1 does.

picked up a 5qt jug at walmart in 5w-30 for 14.89 (15 dollar rebate means they are paying me to take the stuff
wink.gif

they also had tons of 5w-20 in 5qt jugs and a few single quart jugs of 5w-30

my plan is to mix the 5 qts with 1 qt of rotella 15w-40 i have already for my 6 qt capacity

I saw this in Wal Mart last weekend. I didn't think much of it and I figured they just changed the name and game of their Enhanced Durability.

This, along with ED, does not have the donut or the starburst symbol on any of their bottles.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: zerosoma

This, along with ED, does not have the donut or the starburst symbol on any of their bottles.

That's because it is an SL oil.

Oh, ok. I guess I wasn't looking at the bottle close enough.

Kind of an interesting approach to their product, no?

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
What does the sl mean and why doesn't it have the starburst I just bought some for my truck.

API SL. The new spec is SN. Basically newer oils have less zinc and other items in them for the newer specs. The older ratings typically have higher zinc levels for a more stout add pack for older cars that need it. Newer SN oils are resource conserving. The starburst has been discussed a few times here but idr the reasoning.

Last edited:
So isn't that actually a good thing for any engine?

No because too high of zinc levels can kill modern cats in newer cars.

You can go on line and get a $15 rebate coupon e-mailed to you for Defy too...which is a hair more than Wal-mart is selling it for. And I was going to try it anyway!

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: MrRPM
(15 dollar rebate means they are paying me to take the stuff
wink.gif

what rebate?

check out the rebate section of this forum and look at the 20 dollar rebate for quaker state synthetic oil. it will give you a choice of 20 dollar rebate for synthetic, 15 for defy and other HM oils and 10 bucks for QS conventional. I wanted to try Defy so i went with that.

Originally Posted By: Noshow13
I've only seen Defy in 5w-30 at a Walmart here, I hope to find some 10w-30 soon, for my Jeep.

your 4.0L jeep will love a 5w-30, no need for a 10w-30

Originally Posted By: volk06

How modern and new are we talking about? Weird because one of our local WM has it in 5W-20 and I heard even in 0W-20 (MaxZX posted).

Originally Posted By: JavierG

How modern and new are we talking about? Weird because one of our local WM has it in 5W-20 and I heard even in 0W-20 (MaxZX posted).
QS Defy is not made in a 0w-20, it is not a full synthetic rather a synthetic blend. It is available in 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30 and 10w-40. Seems to me that SOPUS is replacing QSHM with this new syn blend HM oil.

Originally Posted By: JavierG

yeah, I posted 0W, wish I could go back and confirm it wasn't a typo and should have been 5W. Didn't think blends could be 0W rated. And Defy has yet to show up on the QS website, so can't confirm there, either.

There is a "Need" for 10w-30 in a Jeep 2.5 4 cylinder and 4.0 Inline 6. I would only use 5w-30 in consistently 20 degree or below weather. They just Like 10w-30. Whatever 10w-30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back