Black plastic protection and color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is 2007 Honda Civic black. Paint is great but the cowl molding at the base of the windshield looks faded and sun washed. What is the best product to renew the original black color? Which one lasts?

There are a lot of restore trim color products, just avoid the ones that use black dye to "restore" the trim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive never found any that really last. Hope there are some good recommendations to not only restore, but also seal and UV protect (303 will wash off, so it needs to be more purpose specific).

I was VERY impressed with 3D Trim Care Protectant. A bottle is fifteen bucks and will last a long long time. Used this on my moms 04 CRV, alot of faded plastic, worked perfectly. Not greasy when applied correctly and lasts through heavy rain for months. Cant say enough about this stuff.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
There are a lot of restore trim color products, just avoid the ones that use black dye to "restore" the trim.

Why? I would think a product with black dye would not only look better, but I'd also think it would stay looking better lomger.

Be careful with dyes, Ive read where forever black is hard to get a uniform color and some end up with streaks and drip looking marks.

Poorboys Trim Restorer will do what you want and inexpensively. Depending on how badly faded the trim is it may take more than one application initially. Thoroughly clean the area first and plan to re-apply as needed. None of these type of products are permanent.

I've had decent luck with just regular Mothers Back to Black. It seems to last okay with several applications spaced out several weeks apart and then continued maintenance with a vinyl and rubber protectant.

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Be careful with dyes, Ive read where forever black is hard to get a uniform color and some end up with streaks and drip looking marks.

I've used Forever Black on several moldings and trims on multiple vehicles. Always looks great when finished. Avoid it on the paint - it can be removed, but it's difficult.

I regularly use it on my truck's exposed LineX liner (on the bed rails) and mirrors. It lasts a really long time, but I touch up about every year.

I haven't used it but check into the C4 stuff. It should last for two years (supposedly!). I use Meg's Ultimate Protectant (now called something else) myself.

Bondo Restore Black! It comes in a kit with an applicator and a bottle of black pigmented gel type liquid. Works great on black plastic trim and lasts quite a while. It DOES have black pigment, so it only works on black plastic trim, but should be perfect for your wiper cowl. My friends couldn't believe I didn't paint mine... Having mentioned that, I recently bought an airbrush, and supposedly airbrushing the black plastic trim is a good solution. I'll find out after I test it somewhere less obvious with some semi flat black.

My buddy with his 2006 Nissan Titan got some turtle wax 'color magic' red polish on some of the exterior black plastic trim.

Any product to clean that off and then aid in protection again?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
My buddy with his 2006 Nissan Titan got some turtle wax 'color magic' red polish on some of the exterior black plastic trim.

Any product to clean that off and then aid in protection again?

Mr. Clean magic eraser works well to remove dried wax on plastic.

I like Duragloss #531 to protect exterior plastics.

Last edited:
I've had ok luck with Mother's Back to Black. Today I bought and applied Stoner Trim Shine. It shows promise but it is hard to put on if you are picky like me. It sprays on like a paint can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back