K&N HP-1001 [CUT OPEN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3

On the G6 for 9500KM OCI. Very nice filter, not sure it's worth the premium for my OCIs. Compared to the Wix for this car (51040) I like that the output end cap is one piece and doesn't have the insert. Silly as it may be I would rather see a coil spring in it, which is funny because a K&N could probably handle 3 OCIs on the G6 and not break a sweat!

HP-100112-01-12A.jpg

HP-100112-01-12B.jpg

HP-100112-01-12C.jpg

Nice thick filter media, looks like it can do 20-25k OCI with Amsoil SSO. I don't care for K&N air filter, but their oil filters are better than most filters in the price range of $6-7.

A couple things I forgot to mention. This filter had the most oil in left in it but had been off the car the longest and probably left draining the longest of all the filters I posted today. Also, as opposed to the B43-S, I think the oil was definitely darker, maybe the darkest ever from that car. Same oil used both times.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Nice thick filter media, looks like it can do 20-25k OCI with Amsoil SSO. I don't care for K&N air filter, but their oil filters are better than most filters in the price range of $6-7.

Just curious, from where in the state can you buy a K&N for $6-7?

Originally Posted By: 00Max00
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Just curious, from where in the state can you buy a K&N for $6-7?

dunno about $6-7, but the k&n i'm running now, (hp-1002)i got on amazon for $9.95, or $9.30 for the HP-1003 i have on my buddy's '03 Pontiac Vibe

Originally Posted By: steve20
and it doesn't look like you used the bloody nut to remove it !!

Thx for pics

lol....no I did not. Don't think I even have a 1" socket!!

Originally Posted By: cp3
A couple things I forgot to mention. This filter had the most oil in left in it but had been off the car the longest and probably left draining the longest of all the filters I posted today. Also, as opposed to the B43-S, I think the oil was definitely darker, maybe the darkest ever from that car. Same oil used both times.

is that good or bad? tks

Well in my amature opinion, I'm not sure!

For the first part, more oil in the filter for a longer time says that the ADBV is working well. I think it must also say something about the media as well becasue the ADBV will not stop the oil from passing throught the media and out of the filter. So to me, the K&N media is probably thicker and possibly a bit more restrictive compared to the Baldwin.

Part 2...Popular concensus here is that colour tells you nothing about the condition of the oil. I agree but I also believe that it must have some meaning or reason. In this case, same oil, same vehicle usage, slightly colder operating conditions for the Baldwin. Did the Baldwin clean more contaminants from the oil than the K&N or were there less there to clean? Possibly there were less there as this was the 5th run of synthetic and it has seemed to remove the slight varnish from the head, seen through the fill hole.

Really they are just observations on my part and may not mean squat. I am interested to see the results of the next two filters and then most likely another Baldwin after those.

For the first part, more oil in the filter for a longer time says that the ADBV is working well. I think it must also say something about the media as well becasue the ADBV will not stop the oil from passing throught the media and out of the filter. So to me, the K&N media is probably thicker and possibly a bit more restrictive compared to the Baldwin.

I've let PureOne filters sit base down for weeks and the oil was still retained in the filter. I think most media will prevent the oil from passing through it in that scenario because of the surface tension of the oil. The pressure due to the weight of the small oil column inside the filter isn't enough to make it pass through the media, so in this case the ADBV does keep all the oil from escaping.

But it seems that it will, at least with a new (clean) filter when pre-filling. You can poor some oil in and return a few minutes later and the level has gone down. I am assuming this oil is passing through the media and filling the outer part of the filter. No?

May be another experiment as I still have all of these cans downstairs.

But it seems that it will, at least with a new (clean) filter when pre-filling. You can poor some oil in and return a few minutes later and the level has gone down. I am assuming this oil is passing through the media and filling the outer part of the filter. No?

May be another experiment as I still have all of these cans downstairs.

That's true that the oil goes through the media if poured down the center hole on a new filter. The phenomenon of the oil not draining out through the center hole when filled and the ADBV is sealed well is like sticking a straw into water and then closing off the open end with your thumb. You can lift the straw out of the water and maintain water in the straw.

If you put a filled filter with base down, the oil will not leak out through the media because of similar forces. BUT, if you punched a hole in the top of the filter it will drain out the center hole ... just like removing you thumb off the end of the water filled straw will release the water in the straw.

Do the experiment for yourself. Take a used filter with good ADBV and fill it completely with oil. Then position the filter base down for a few days. Then open up the ADBV and see how much oil comes out. Then fill it again and repeat, but this time punch a hole in the top of the filter while leaving the ADBV sealed.

See this thread of mine for the ADBV sealing experiment with a PureOne filter.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...807#Post2042807

That's a good filter I have used quite a few of them. They usually come for free with oil change specials around here, Castrol usually.

Great write up!

Have you done the drain with the hole in the can? I guess where I'm having a problem is that a straw is not a porous filter element. Not saying you're wrong Z just trying to understand.

So how does this not work when filling the filter? The oil is heavy enough to displace the air through the media from outside of the element into the center tube? Does the fact that the media is saturated with oil enable it to create the vacuum effect? Otherwise I would think that the weight of the oil would again be enough to pull air through the media.

Is it possible that the seemingly thinner media of the Baldwin was not able to hold as much vacuum as the thicker K&N or P1 media and allowed more oil to drain through the element before reaching a balance?

Great write up!

Have you done the drain with the hole in the can? I guess where I'm having a problem is that a straw is not a porous filter element. Not saying you're wrong Z just trying to understand.

On my 2005 Tacoma with the 4.0L V6, the oil filter is totally vertical with the base down. When I do an oil change, I punch a hole in the top of the filter, which allows the oil to drain completely out before I remove the filter - a trick I actually learned a long time ago from owning Mazda RX-7s. If I did not punch a hole in the top, it would puke and make a big oil mess when removed because oil would be retained in the filter by the ADBV. You either have to punch a hole in the top of the filter to allow atmospheric pressure into the filter, or open the ADBV like I did in my experiment I showed in the link I posted above.

So how does this not work when filling the filter? The oil is heavy enough to displace the air through the media from outside of the element into the center tube? Does the fact that the media is saturated with oil enable it to create the vacuum effect? Otherwise I would think that the weight of the oil would again be enough to pull air through the media.

Is it possible that the seemingly thinner media of the Baldwin was not able to hold as much vacuum as the thicker K&N or P1 media and allowed more oil to drain through the element before reaching a balance?

I think the surface tension of the oil, along with the slight vacuum phenomena just holds the oil in the filter when the ADBV is sealed. When you fill a dry filter, there is no slight vacuum involved ... it would be like filling a glass with water instead of the straw with the thumb over the end to hold the water in the straw analogy. Bottom line is the filter will not drain trough the center core hole due to gravity on the oil if the ADBV seals 100%.

Experiment with your used filters and you'll get a feel for how this all works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back