Engine Oil Shipping Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to ship out Engine oil thr UPS or USPS?

How much will it be for just regular shipping for 6 qts and 12 qts and 5L size.

How about additives? about 300ml size

I received 10qt (in aluminum containers...Motul) and shipping from CA to IL via UPS Ground was about $30. Oil is heavy.

UPS, FedEx, etc all have shipping cost calculators at their websites.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
I received 10qt (in aluminum containers...Motul) and shipping from CA to IL via UPS Ground was about $30. Oil is heavy.

UPS, FedEx, etc all have shipping cost calculators at their websites.

i can just use the shipping cost calculator for oil?
is there any extra fees because its OIL product?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Engine oil is not considered hazardous material by the USPS, so it should just go by the weight of the package, etc.

Yes and no. USPS will not ship oil internationally, because they won't ship "hazardous" material via the air. Believe me, I've fought it up the food chain and lost.

UPS, not a problem.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Engine oil is not considered hazardous material by the USPS, so it should just go by the weight of the package, etc.

Yes and no. USPS will not ship oil internationally, because they won't ship "hazardous" material via the air. Believe me, I've fought it up the food chain and lost.

UPS, not a problem.

lol so... YES or NO? hahahaha is it hazardous? or not?

Originally Posted By: xzeroth

UPS, not a problem.

Here's the rub. USPS won't ship it air, they might ship it ground. But technically they have no service called "ground" and they really don't know if the boxes will go air or ground....so they just won't take it.

The part that gets me goat is looking in the USPS manual, motor oil should have a high enough flame point to not be flammable and at worst be combustible, and therefor should be transportable. But no.

Originally Posted By: xzeroth

UPS, not a problem.

Here's the rub. USPS won't ship it air, they might ship it ground. But technically they have no service called "ground" and they really don't know if the boxes will go air or ground....so they just won't take it.

The part that gets me goat is looking in the USPS manual, motor oil should have a high enough flame point to not be flammable and at worst be combustible, and therefor should be transportable. But no.
ok that looks about right.

Originally Posted By: lt2000
Amazon.com will ship most of their engine oil with free shipping.
gary

Nothing is free....part or all of the shipping cost is added to the product price. It only seems like its free.

Oil is classified by IOTA as ORM-D.

It requires no special handling. I

f the US post office wants to do something different, I guess they can.

I've been buying both motor oil and transmission oil online with no problems getting it shipped until today.
The out of state Toyota dealer I buy from now says he cannot ship either type of oil as it is hazardous material?

I did a little checking and some Toyota dealers/parts sellers will ship it but only with outrageous hazmat fees.
What the heck has happened all of a sudden? Has something changed with shipping or is their particular oil in some way hazardous now?

Here are some of the inexplicable USPS regulations:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_018.htm

What I have done is to declare PCMO's as a liquid with a Flashpoint of over 320F and have had no problems.

At one USPS location I had them balk but explained the liquid and had them look up the regs. After that NP.

FedEx is your better bet if the people at the USPS don't understand the situation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: lt2000
Amazon.com will ship most of their engine oil with free shipping.
gary

Nothing is free....part or all of the shipping cost is added to the product price. It only seems like its free.

No its not. Its added to the Amazon Prime membership fee you pay to get free shipping. Your membership fee subsidizes shipping fees and gets you free shipping on eligible products.

Otherwise, you pay shipping costs. This only applies to orders fulfilled by Amazon.

I have Amazon Prime. Normal price is $70/year. I got 2 years free, and have paid $35/year each year there after. 3 years of free shipping for $35. It has more than paid for itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back