Help me choose oil for FORD FREESTYLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and what kind of oil should my stepdad use in my mothers 07' Ford Freestyle? I told her that she couldnt go wrong with the Motorcraft syn blend 5w20 or PYB 5W20. Car has only 28k on it also. Most of her driving is highway also with maybe 10 city miles on weekends.

thanks in advance folks,

Adam

You have a couple of good choices listed here. You can't go wrong with either one. FWIW--Oldtommy

Motorcraft went up to 18.33/ 5qts here which would make the PYB a better deal at 15.97/5qts, at Walmart. Both are excellent choices though.

If you don't mind spending the extra few bucks you can get Pennzoil Platinum and a K&N filter for $23.99 after $7 MIR at Advance Auto Parts. With oil and filters so expensive at Walmart you should just pay the extra and get a VERY high quality oil and filter.

Nothing against MC or PYB. Just economics.

This car is not hard on oil; big sump, low rpm V6, and UOAs on the 3.0 V6 generally show low wear metals, little shear and no fuel dilution. Any SN-rated 0W20 or 5W20 will work great. I'd stick with the 820S filter though, given the bypass location, efficiency and cost.

I'd by more concerned with servicing the transmission. At 4 years, it would be worth considering doing a drain/fill now, then again at 60K (along with a filter swap). Finding places that can service this transmission isn't easy. It seems that over half of the dealers have no clue what to actually do, what filter needs changed and the service interval on the fluid. The CVT in this car is awesome, but should something go wrong it's going to be $$difficult$$ to repair. Staying on top of the maintenance of it seems like a good thing to do. I honestly wouldn't worry about what motor oil to use.

Thanks for the info guys, and Chubbs I did tell my stepdad a while ago to check the specials at advance auto, but he's kinda like me as he prefers conventional oil. Maybe he will get the PP oil also. Heck, in all honesty, I could get the Valvoline oil and fram filter special at autozone, but I dislike fram filters from what I learned here.

adam

Originally Posted By: civic09
Thanks for the info guys, and Chubbs I did tell my stepdad a while ago to check the specials at advance auto, but he's kinda like me as he prefers conventional oil. Maybe he will get the PP oil also. Heck, in all honesty, I could get the Valvoline oil and fram filter special at autozone, but I dislike fram filters from what I learned here.

adam

Yeah it was just a thought. Some like conventional and that is fine. They are getting better and better.

On the AZ sale on Valvoline and a Fram...that just gets a thumbs down when AAP has a much better special this month.

Yeah, thats why I got just the MAXLIFE NEXGEN 5W30 with my work discount for like $13.74

Adam

I still have like 2 cases of wix 51356 for my civic

My Mom has a 2005 Freestyle with over 90K on it, she's never a single solitary issue or complaint with the car. It's been flawless.

Her's has been on a steady of diet of synthetic 20-weights and Motorcraft FL-820S's since around 1,000 miles. It started off on Mobil 1 5W-20 for the 1st 40K or so, switched to PP 5W-20 up until around 60K, did a run with PU 5W-20, now she's had Red Line 5W-20 in it for about 20K (~10K OCIs). The engine has never burned a drop of oil with any of them and is clean as whistle internally. While the RL smoothed and quieted the engine down noticeably versus the others it's most definitely severely overkill for this engine. Next go around for her will be either Red Line 0W-20 or Amsoil 0W-20 with 10K OCIs.

Like JOD said, trans maintenance is far more important with these cars. I did a complete trans service at 60K, including both the pan and high pressure case filter using Motorcraft chain type CVT fluid. I just did a partial CVT drain and refill at 90K and the fluid was already looking very dark, so count me in the 60K filter change and 30K pan drain camp for the CFT30. It's a great trans but it's demanding on the fluid.

M1 0-20 would be a good choice. As you can see I run it for 10K OCIs and my engines are clean as new and run great. When I drain it out the oil still looks very good.

I prefer the Motorcraft for the warm weather. It's a Synblend (unless you buy the full synthetic version of course) that holds up well in my Freestyle. For the winter however, I use: Motorcraft full synthetic, Kendall gt1 full synthetic or Pennzoil Platinum. That is the order of my preference. Those 3 seem to keep the cold started engine much quieter and it seems to smooth out much quicker when warming up.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
Use Motorcraft so that you don't void the warrenty.

How would using an oil that isn't Motorcraft void the warranty?

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
Use Motorcraft so that you don't void the warrenty.

The car is an 07, it is probably no longer under Warranty.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 0-20 would be a good choice. As you can see I run it for 10K OCIs and my engines are clean as new and run great. When I drain it out the oil still looks very good.

Why not just put this post in your signature----? It would be a time saver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back