priming the oil pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
On the Ford Modular side of things there is actually a tool that you screw into the unused port on the oil filter housing that shoots pressurized oil into the engine for initial startup. Ford Racing Performance Parts sells the tool and it is fairly inexpensive.

An old Bug sprayer cleaned and filled with clean oil and the correct adapter to fill the oil gally's up works well too.

^^^This is exactly what I used years ago when doing garage rebuilds. An old pump up sprayer with oil in it and a cobbled up adapter that allowed me to pressure lube the engine.

I also used it with solvent to clean them during teardown.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Are you high?

lol.gif
I believe he is.

Why? I am 100% accurate.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Are you high?

lol.gif
I believe he is.

Why? I am 100% accurate.

No, you're not. You're trying to draw a distinction when there is none. The TSB proves hands down that "slow useless" cranking is a viable method to prime a new or reman'd OHC Ford engine, a far more demanding priming application for that "slow useless" cranking. That high idle you keep referencing is for quick lubrication assuming a fully primed oil system, which isn't the case post oil change.

FACT - "slow useless" cranking builds oil pressure with a Modular
FACT - "slow useless" cranking fills the oil filter, which can't be fully filled in horizontally mounted locations, as is the case with most Modulars.
FACT - "slow useless" cranking completely eliminates the typical post oil change knock.

You haven't been correct about anything in this thread. Need I remind you of this:

Starting the car is better than slow useless cranking.

Blatanly disproven by the Ford TSB provided. You may "know engines" but you clearly don't know Ford Modular engines, which is what the OP referenced.

We once had a New Holland 8870 tractor that the operator's manual recommended at every oil change to remove the fuel relay and crank the engine until it showed oil pressure then reinstall the relay and start it.

I agree with that PDF, and it agrees with me.
NEW ENGINES are addressed, NOT broken in street engines that only sit for 2-3 weeks.
These facts can't be denied, and is the point of the original poster.
Why set up an artificial 'straw man' only to knock it down?
It is not germane.

I agree with that PDF, and it agrees with me.

The TSB directly contradicts you.

Starting the car is better than slow useless cranking.

No, it doesn't.
I always prime new engines.
But never on a car that sits 2-3 weeks. That would be useless and harmful compared to starting her up.

Yes, it does...and prove it.

I had my Ford Double Senior Master ASE L1-certified mechanic buddy take a peek at this thread, he found your position humorous to say the least.

Ben -
I note your friend did post post why slow cranking without starting of an engine that only sat for 2-3 weeks is a good thing.
Starting is best in the original poster's situation.
Nothing humorous about my replies. They are 100% correct.

Ben -
I note your friend did post post why slow cranking without starting of an engine that only sat for 2-3 weeks is a good thing.

It's pretty simple, because post oil change the oil system is no longer fully primed. "Slow cranking" fills the oil filter and builds oil pressure preventing a dry start i.e. a split second of an engine running at full cylinder pressures without oil pressure.

When Ford itself recommends "slow cranking" to prime NEW engines, where "slow useless cranking" is used in a far more demanding scenario, you've got a seriously uphill argument. What the Ford TSB shows is that "slow useless cranking" isn't so useless when used to prime the oil system in their OHC engines.

Quote:
Nothing humorous about my replies. They are 100% correct.

Your relies are personal opinion without much basis in fact, as shown by the Ford TSB. The fact that you try to maintain that there is a stark disconnect between the two scenarios is what is humorous.

Ben
That PDF talks about new and re manufactured engines.
We can not insert our imaginations into it and be valid or then refer to it.
New and re manufactured. Read your own PDF.
It says so multiple times.

And it is true that modern car makers have a fast idle cold and hot. This gets the oil quickly to where it's needed, before slow cranking wipes things dry .

Ben
That PDF talks about new and re manufactured engines.
We can not insert our imaginations into it and be valid or then refer to it.

No imagination required, cranking primes new and remanufactured engines just as it primes used engines post oil change, it just does it a lot more quickly in the latter case.

Do you mean the same TSB that recommends "slow useless cranking" to prime the oil system of new and remanufactured OHC engines? What's good for priming new and remanfactured engines is also good for priming in any situation in where the oil system is no longer primed.

Quote:
And it is true that modern car makers have a fast idle cold and hot.

Yes they do, and that high idle assumes a properly primed oil system. That's why we have those ADBVs.

Quote:
This gets the oil quickly to where it's needed, before slow cranking wipes things dry .

So slow cranking is a Ford approved method for priming new and reman'd engines but it's going to wipe a used engine dry. Who is using their imagination here? This is why your opinions were seen as humorous (a polite interpretation, BTW) by a fellow mechanic.

Ben-
New engines have [or should have!]special assembly lubes.
And of course I prime every engine I have rebuilt.
You can not change the subject from a car that sits 2-3 weeks to your imaginary new engine discussion.
Two separate subjects, and you are backed into a corner and won't admit it.
Like the Wizard of Oz when the curtain was pulled away.

Ben-
New engines have [or should have!]special assembly lubes.

Mech,
Many reman'd engines, specifically Motorcraft 4.6Ls, only use motor oil as assembly lube. Which has already been covered in this thread.
What method do you use to prime OHC engines with crank driven gerotor oil pumps?
You continue to draw a disconnect when there isn't one.
You have our roles in the argument reversed. You have nothing to back up your argument, you blatantly disregard viable TSBs in order to continue spouting your uninformed opinion, to put it mildly you're dead wrong and simply can't admit it.

Mech,

Continue to stick with your generalities, I'll stick with what I know actually works from experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back