Crown Vic just shut off on me

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago I noticed to car would buck a little when cruising, I thought it might have been bad gas. So I go through that tank and fill It up and add a fuel cleaner, and everything is running the way it should. Well it started bucking again two days ago, and in traffic today it stalled out on me and wouldn't start again until after about 1or 2 minutes. Any ideas on what I should look for? Thanks

Bucking I would say ignition coil, but that shouldn't cause it to stall out. Fuel pump maybe? I do know that is one of the few things known to go bad on vics with high mileage.

I had a 4.6 Ford do that on me, it was the MAF sensor. Funny thing was no CEL ever came on. Changed the MAF and all was well.

Edit: I do remember when this was happening it would smoke a lot of grey/black when it re started

Last edited:
Yes I believe it does have that sensor. Also when I was trying to start the car back up nothing happen. It didn't try to turn or anything all the lights came on but it didn't try to start.

I take back what I said, it could still be the battery, if your battery is ok, could be ignition switch. still alot of possibilities.

Oops! Ive done that before. Had a E350 with a seven tree powdersmoke. Just shutoff due to faulty cam sensor. I eventually ended up calling someone and they came all the way out with a tow rope before I noticed I had it in D. Fired right up once it was in Neutral.

Fuel Pump would be my guess, but there is also a fuel pump controller that wasnt known for reliability on the 03s. Symptoms would be similar since either way, you get no fuel.
Have you tried a new fuel filter?

Last edited:
Also the IAC valves on these Panthers are garbage too. Use a code and get the Advance Auto one for around $30. Worked for my '00 Merc.

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
Yes I believe it does have that sensor. Also when I was trying to start the car back up nothing happen. It didn't try to turn or anything all the lights came on but it didn't try to start.

So the starter wouldn't crank the engine at all, or the engine would crank but not fire?

Key on engine off, is the amber "ck eng" light on? If it is, you have power to the PCM. Crank the car. If you have a CKP signal, the light will go off during cranking, no CKP signal, the light will stay on during cranking.

Not sure on the relay arrangmment on that year. If the fuel pump relay is a problem, you will often get a "fuel pump primary" code. I usually swapped the horn relay with the fuel pump relay for that code (in the older CV/GMarqs).

Majority of time it is a fuel pump/fuel delivery module, but they usually act up in warmer weather. If you have the ability to pull codes, lean codes (both banks)often accompany a bad fuel pump.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: DreamerGT

So the starter wouldn't crank the engine at all, or the engine would crank but not fire?

Like I said before it didnt start cause it was still in drive, I learn that now lol.

Also I was going to data log with the SCT tuner and measure the fuel pump cycle duty along with some other parameters, but its not allowing me start data logging for some reason. So once I figure this out I can hopefully find out whats going on.

Sorry no resolution yet, but I did get the data log program working. The car is driving fine now so I will bump this thread when I find out whats going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back