Wired article about ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about everything else, but at least they admitted it reduces fuel economy. I can confirm their findings. Even on E10.

Originally Posted By: TheMAN
I don't believe it one bit!

why? Because you don't want to or because you have evidence?

I enjoyed the comments more so than the article.

Ethanol + turbo =
banana2.gif
so I'm all for higher ethanol blends, regardless of whether a "better" option is available. It's a step that's not entirely perpendicular to the right direction.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice that they didn't bother to mention that, despite all the improvements in corn-ethanol production, sugarcane is still a far more efficient means of producing ethanol? I don't suppose the fact that the primary driver behind domestic ethanol production is "the corn lobby" has anything to do with that, do you?

Yeah, right. Neither do I...

did you even read the article before you got mad about it?

I'm no proponent of ethanol as it's exists in the country, but what's "not to believe"?? There's nothing in the article that's incorrect.

It certainly doesn't tell the whole picture, nor does it really make a case for ethanol. It simply dispels some of the misinformation around it. Obviously, judging by the responses on this thread though, this is an emotional topic, not a rational one.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons as to why ethanol production in the county is pretty much a failure, but there's nothing "not to believe" in this article. If you can refute any of the specific claims, please do so!

I love ethanol. Especially as Scotch or Bourbon.
crackmeup2.gif

Seriously, though, the only thing I have against ethanol in gasoline is the federal subsidy. That should be dropped and ethanol as a fuel should either fail or stand on its own merits.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
I love ethanol. Especially as Scotch or Bourbon.
crackmeup2.gif

Seriously, though, the only thing I have against ethanol in gasoline is the federal subsidy. That should be dropped and ethanol as a fuel should either fail or stand on its own merits.

Yep, if it truly has a positive energy yield, it wouldn't need any subsidies.

#1 Highly dependent upon the price of oil.
#2 The real issue is the conversion of land from say wheat to corn. This reduces the supply of wheat and thereby cost goes up.
#3 is a 1996 study relevant?
#5 Not mentioned whether the tax subsidy is included as a cost. Someone has to make up for the lost revenue.

Quote:
Only 1 percent of all corn grown in this country is eaten by humans. The rest is No. 2 yellow field corn, which is indigestible to humans and used in animal feed, food supplements and ethanol.
Yes, but the acreage could be used for food crops.

As said above, the corn lobby, including farmers, huge agribusiness, and farmer co-op ethanol plants, are the driving force behind corn-based ethanol fuel preferences.

I've noticed driving around just about every crop field whether in around the suburbs or out in the country is corn.

We've used a blend here in the St. Louis area for better than 20 years now. As far as I know, it hasn't been detrimental to any of my motor vehicles.

I like the idea that ethanol is being produced here. I don't know how many jobs that creates but it's not zero.

We have friends that buy the feed that comes out the other end of the ethanol refinery. They say that it's very high in protein because all of the filler (starch) has been used up to make ethel alcohol....and that it makes great cattle feed.

Not to mention that ethanol is extremely hygroscopic-to the point that I mix a fresh batch every time I run my 2-stroke equipment and dump it in something to burn it when I'm done. Or have to use expensive stabilizers to prevent the fuel system damage it can cause. Hope no one is starving due to all that corn being converted into fuel!

why has gasoline been used so long? cause there is nothing better. i know i know gas has been changed over and over. BUT its still gasoline. just check out what is used for gasoline in F1 race cars, BUT its still gasoline.

I don't agree with ethanol in the fuel but this whole corn for food stuff has to end.
The corn used in ethanol production is corn that cannot be used for food for anything. The ethanol producers use what's leftover to make ethanol so if you are going to comment please know what your saying.
As far as I am concerned ethanol has no business in fuel. It makes motors consume more fuel and gives fuel refiners the chance to use lesser quality fuels and sell them to us. The octane rating on ethanol is very high. You can "cut" gas with ethanol to achieve the same octane rating,but use a lesser quality gas. We,the consumer get worked over again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back