Doesn't everyone here want the best? Win vs MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mac mice suck, I don't know what you are talking about. I'll stick with my Razer Deathadder. $65 for assembly and delivery sounds pretty fair to me. You obviously have no idea how slim margins really are on computers (non mac).

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
1. I didn't say that's what I pay for those products. There is margin in the products. That said, retailers don't make much on computers.

2. Thunderbolt? No. It isn't a Mac
wink.gif
Seriously though, there isn't much use for that interface on a PC at this time.

3. The mouse is "normal" for a Mac, just like this mouse would be "normal" for a PC. They are comparable. One from Apple, the other from Microsoft. Suited for their respective OS's.

4. I would sell that screen for about $825.00 by itself. I'm not sure why the on-line prices are so high for it. It obviously is cheaper "with a system".

5. There are no additional "costs" to the consumer for what I quoted, save taxes. $1499.00 would be what I'd charge for that system.

6. If somebody WANTS an all-in-one, and given the parts, no, the Apple isn't "overpriced". However, if somebody doesn't care, then the extra $200.00 is an extra $200.00. It is the consumer's call. It isn't like we are talking about a Mac Pro where I'd say what you get actually IS a good deal for the parts. It plays at a different level.

7. Yes, it will be a standard screen/tower configuration. There are wires. I mentioned that when I priced it out. It is going to be up to the user as to whether this matters or much. If it is worth $200.00 or not.

8. So for YOU, the extra $200.00 is worth it. Which is what I was saying. For somebody like Nick, $200.00 is going to buy him a much better video card, a LOT more RAM.....etc. It is all relative. So for somebody like Nick, $1699.00 is over-priced. For you it isn't. Different people, different criteria.

Thunderbolt is Intel's baby.
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/inte...pc-just-arrived

http://technorati.com/technology/article/intel-brings-thunderbolt-to-windows-pcs/

Everyone is going to want the 10gbs.

So. Whats the price on adding two ports to the system????

Add the costs of the speakers. The HD webcam.
Not great speakers. Say $20 for the speakers. And $28 was the cheapest HD webcam I could find on Amazon.

And I do not think YOU would build that computer, set it up, and SHIP IT to the consumer for $65.

So really. Where are the savings here??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The mac mice suck, I don't know what you are talking about. I'll stick with my Razer Deathadder. $65 for assembly and delivery sounds pretty fair to me. You obviously have no idea how slim margins really are on computers (non mac).

Mac mice is great. I love the thing. Makes editing photos in Adobe a breeze. Only thing better would be the pen and pad style systems.

Chevy Cruze's suck.

See how STUPID your statement is. I mean really. What works for you works for you. What works for someone else works for someone else.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

http://technorati.com/technology/article/intel-brings-thunderbolt-to-windows-pcs/

Except:

Quote:
Thunderbolt was developed by Intel and brought to market with technical collaboration from Apple Inc. It was introduced commercially on Apple's updated MacBook Pro lineup on February 24, 2011, using the same port and connector as Mini DisplayPort. Though initially registered with Apple Inc., full rights of the Thunderbolt technology trademark belong to Intel Corp., and subsequently led to the transfer of the registration.

It is primarily an Apple technology. Remember, Apple uses Intel's stuff now.

Quote:

No idea, they aren't relevant for a PC at this point.

Quote:

Not great speakers. Say $20 for the speakers. And $28 was the cheapest HD webcam I could find on Amazon.

I did, please look at my post again.

Quote:
And I do not think YOU would build that computer, set it up, and SHIP IT to the consumer for $65.

Ship it? No. I'd probably charge them $15.00 for shipping or something. However, I'm not in the business of building and shipping PC's. If I was, I'd be paying even LESS for those components, and have a deal with UPS, Purolator or some other large shipping entity that would make the cost of shipping irrelevant.

Quote:
So really. Where are the savings here??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The savings are $200.00. I already indicated that several posts ago.

Except:

Quote:
Thunderbolt was developed by Intel and brought to market with technical collaboration from Apple Inc. It was introduced commercially on Apple's updated MacBook Pro lineup on February 24, 2011, using the same port and connector as Mini DisplayPort. Though initially registered with Apple Inc., full rights of the Thunderbolt technology trademark belong to Intel Corp., and subsequently led to the transfer of the registration.

It is primarily an Apple technology. Remember, Apple uses Intel's stuff now.

Quote:

No idea, they aren't relevant for a PC at this point.

Quote:

I did, please look at my post again.

Quote:

Ship it? No. I'd probably charge them $15.00 for shipping or something. However, I'm not in the business of building and shipping PC's. If I was, I'd be paying even LESS for those components, and have a deal with UPS, Purolator or some other large shipping entity that would make the cost of shipping irrelevant.

Quote:

The savings are $200.00. I already indicated that several posts ago.

NO. You did not include the speakers and cam in the price. You gave the costs, said youd throw one in for free and that was it.

ADD UP THE COSTS. I am not buying a computer from YOU. Consumers are not buying from YOU.

So as I SAID from the start. WHERE is the savings for the CONSUMER????

Not the Canadian IT guy.

The End Consumer.

And as for the Thunderbolt ports, you need to really start reading the links I provide. You would know what your talking about then.

Sept/14/2011
"On Wednesday, Intel announced at the Intel Developer Forum that the Thunderbolt I/O port would be coming to Windows PC's sometime in 2012. Thunderbolt was originally code-named Light Peak and was installed on the update to the Mac Book Pro earlier this year. Rights to the Thunderbolt technology were originally registered under Apple, but were transferred over to Intel which is why you'll see it's name popping up a bit more."

Read more: http://technorati.com/technology/article/intel-brings-thunderbolt-to-windows-pcs/#ixzz1Ze6KXiyt

Mac mice is great. I love the thing. Makes editing photos in Adobe a breeze. Only thing better would be the pen and pad style systems.

Chevy Cruze's suck.

See how STUPID your statement is. I mean really. What works for you works for you. What works for someone else works for someone else.

It is a curved piece of plastic!

I like my mouse ergonomic in shape, like this.
Mo-RDA3500B__73111_zoom.jpg

It has forward and back buttons, is comfortable for long gaming sessions (or whatever), it's responsive, made of high quality materials, and has a scroll wheel.

NO. You did not include the speakers and cam in the price. You gave the costs, said youd throw one in for free and that was it.

I could do it for the $1499.00 with the speakers/cam. There, that make you feel better. You are getting REALLY excited over this......

Quote:
ADD UP THE COSTS. I am not buying a computer from YOU. Consumers are not buying from YOU.

I did add up the costs. Then added some mark-up, then posted the prices. You've read the prices. No, YOU are not buying a computer from me. You bought one from Apple. However, there are people that do, and have bought computers for me. I provide them as one of my services. It is a fun hobby to have. However, somebody selling those parts I listed in volume would get even better prices than I do. So I think the $1499.00 is a very good "base" for comparison here.

Quote:

Not the Canadian IT guy.

The End Consumer.

$200.00. My price is a lot less.

Quote:
And as for the Thunderbolt ports, you need to really start reading the links I provide. You would know what your talking about then.

"On Wednesday, Intel announced at the Intel Developer Forum that the Thunderbolt I/O port would be coming to Windows PC's sometime in 2012. Thunderbolt was originally code-named Light Peak and was installed on the update to the Mac Book Pro earlier this year. Rights to the Thunderbolt technology were originally registered under Apple, but were transferred over to Intel which is why you'll see it's name popping up a bit more."

Read more: http://technorati.com/technology/article/intel-brings-thunderbolt-to-windows-pcs/#ixzz1Ze6KXiyt

That's rich. Cut the condescension and take your blood pressure down a few notches.

So, according to a link you've found on the Internet.... Thunderbolt is going to (that would not be present tense here....) be relevant to Windows users in 2012.

Interesting.

So, NEXT YEAR.... It is going to be relevant to PC users.

What exactly about what I posted earlier on this subject then, was incorrect?

Chevy Cruze's suck.

It is a curved piece of plastic!

I like my mouse ergonomic in shape, like this.
Mo-RDA3500B__73111_zoom.jpg

It has forward and back buttons, is comfortable for long gaming sessions (or whatever), it's responsive, made of high quality materials, and has a scroll wheel.

Looks. . . . .

Like a .

Well it looks a little to "gamer" for me.

I think I dated a girl once with a tattoo like those snakes. Well we did not date. (had to convince her of that after night after night phone calls)

It works for you. Thats good. Congratulations. In this world of murder, mayhem, and countless types on mice:

You, Nick R, have found the mouse that works for you. Im going to go cry, I will be back later to mock it for glowing.

lol

rg200amp:

I'm not trying to cause you a coronary. So before your wife needs to call the paramedics, lets just simplify what I'm saying, because I'm sure you can agree with a lot of it.

1. The Apple unit is a very nice, well equipped all-in-one PC.

2. You pay a premium for the All-in-One feature.

3. You can buy a very comparable PC (including a copy of Windows) for about $200.00 less if you don't mind having separate components.

4. Whether $200.00 is a worthwhile premium for that "all-in-one" feature is going to be very user dependant.

I think that sums it up nicely.

I'm not knocking your purchase or insulting you like you've now done to me. For you, obviously the $200.00 was well worth it. Congrats, enjoy your new computer.

I could do it for the $1499.00 with the speakers/cam. There, that make you feel better. You are getting REALLY excited over this......

Quote:

I did add up the costs. Then added some mark-up, then posted the prices. You've read the prices. No, YOU are not buying a computer from me. You bought one from Apple. However, there are people that do, and have bought computers for me. I provide them as one of my services. It is a fun hobby to have. However, somebody selling those parts I listed in volume would get even better prices than I do. So I think the $1499.00 is a very good "base" for comparison here.

Quote:

Not the Canadian IT guy.

The End Consumer.

$200.00. My price is a lot less.

Quote:

That's rich. Cut the condescension and take your blood pressure down a few notches.

So, according to a link you've found on the Internet.... Thunderbolt is going to (that would not be present tense here....) be relevant to Windows users in 2012.

Interesting.

So, NEXT YEAR.... It is going to be relevant to PC users.

What exactly about what I posted earlier on this subject then, was incorrect?

Nothing. You are not adding the price of the 2 ports that come standard on the mac.

And it's fine that your willing to add things in on the price. Anyone can add things for free to win a debate.

I mean, it's like debating with a car mechanic and him telling you got ripped off by the other car mechanic. And you show him the list of things you bought compared to the prices online to the best prices a CONSUMER can get.

It's VERY EASY for the mechanic to say OOOO I can just throw those things in for free.

I mean really. How crazy do you want to get here.

Im sure if I was a manager of an Apple store, I could have gotten the mac for less money.

Just like you can get cheaper prices, as you, are in the IT field.

BUT THE CONSUMER who goes online to order a computer. Like me. Like the countless people do every day. They are not seeing much, if any, savings.

rg200amp:

I'm not trying to cause you a coronary. So before your wife needs to call the paramedics, lets just simplify what I'm saying, because I'm sure you can agree with a lot of it.

1. The Apple unit is a very nice, well equipped all-in-one PC.

2. You pay a premium for the All-in-One feature.
And the apple name. Im not living under a rock
3. You can buy a very comparable PC (including a copy of Windows) for about $200.00 less if you don't mind having separate components.No, I cant. Because I tried. I do not have your pricing. That screen you showed is $900 for me to buy.

4. Whether $200.00 is a worthwhile premium for that "all-in-one" feature is going to be very user dependant.

I think that sums it up nicely.

I'm not knocking your purchase or insulting you like you've now done to me. For you, obviously the $200.00 was well worth it. Congrats, enjoy your new computer.

For the price, for what you get, for the reason I need what it has, the Mac was the best option.

Yes. I like having it as an all in one. I like the fit and finish of everything.

My heart is fine! Dont worry! lol

Nothing. You are not adding the price of the 2 ports that come standard on the mac.

And it's fine that your willing to add things in on the price. Anyone can add things for free to win a debate.

I mean, it's like debating with a car mechanic and him telling you got ripped off by the other car mechanic. And you show him the list of things you bought compared to the prices online to the best prices a CONSUMER can get.

It's VERY EASY for the mechanic to say OOOO I can just throw those things in for free.

Im sure if I was a manager of an Apple store, I could have gotten the mac for less money.

BUT THE CONSUMER who goes online to order a computer. Like me. Like the countless people do every day. They are not seeing much, if any, savings.

Listen, I know you have no reason to "trust" me on this. And that's fine. I take that as "par for the course".

But what I am saying here is that any retailer that does any sort of volume in PC's could sell those parts (including the cam and speakers) for $1499.00 and make their "regular" margin on the parts. I've worked in IT for 11 years professionally and a lot longer than that as a hobbiest and student. I know what I charge compared to many local stores and I know what the "normal" margin is on these parts. Canada Computers would probably sell that system for $100 less than I've quoted. Assembled. With Windows installed. Including shipping.

And the US market is normally even less expensive than up here.

I'm not telling you what I would get this system for. I'm telling you what a retailer would SELL this system for based on standard mark-up in the industry. Things like speakers, cams, keyboards and mice... they are thrown in on "bundles" quite regularly. So again, that's quite normal.

The savings to the average consumer would be around $200.00 over the same iMac. That is all I'm saying. I'm not knocking your purchase, I'm not insulting you (you have however, insulted me) or attempting to belittle you in any way, shape or form.

I've taken this argument much further than anybody else has in this thread, and I've attempted to be reasonable about it. I hope you can at least agree with that point.

While Thunderbolt is "standard" on Mac's, we have USB3 on PC's. A similar situation happened with Firewire. When monitor manufacturers start shipping screens en mass with thunderbolt support, I imagine we'll start to see the ports showing up. Until that time, it simply isn't relevant to the PC market. Will it BECOME relevant? Perhaps! But for now, it is a "Mac" technology. Not because of who invented it or produces it, simply because that is where it is popular right now.

Listen, I know you have no reason to "trust" me on this. And that's fine. I take that as "par for the course".

But what I am saying here is that any retailer that does any sort of volume in PC's could sell those parts (including the cam and speakers) for $1499.00 and make their "regular" margin on the parts. I've worked in IT for 11 years professionally and a lot longer than that as a hobbiest and student. I know what I charge compared to many local stores and I know what the "normal" margin is on these parts. Canada Computers would probably sell that system for $100 less than I've quoted. Assembled. With Windows installed. Including shipping.

I'm not telling you what I would get this system for. I'm telling you what a retailer would SELL this system for based on standard mark-up in the industry. Things like speakers, cams, keyboards and mice... they are thrown in on "bundles" quite regularly. So again, that's quite normal.

The savings to the average consumer would be around $200.00 over the same iMac. That is all I'm saying. I'm not knocking your purchase, I'm not insulting you (you have however, insulted me) or attempting to belittle you in any way, shape or form.

I've taken this argument much further than anybody else has in this thread, and I've attempted to be reasonable about it. I hope you can at least agree with that point.

While Thunderbolt is "standard" on Mac's, we have USB3 on PC's. A similar situation happened with Firewire. When monitor manufacturers start shipping screens en mass with thunderbolt support, I imagine we'll start to see the ports showing up. Until that time, it simply isn't relevant to the PC market. Will it BECOME relevant? Perhaps! But for now, it is a "Mac" technology. Not because of who invented it or produces it, simply because that is where it is popular right now.

I will tell you what I am going to do. I am going to go to two different computer builders (in the yellow pages) in my City. I will choose one, and I will even let YOU choose one.

Lets see what they would charge me for the whole setup.

Short of that, Continuing this convo is pointless.

Because as I said. Your costs and price on the system has nothing to do with average consumers. Like me. So lets really see what I *could* have saved.

I will tell you what I am going to do. I am going to go to two different computer builders (in the yellow pages) in my City. I will choose one, and I will even let YOU choose one.

Because as I said. Your costs and price on the system has nothing to do with average consumers. Like me. So lets really see what I *could* have saved.

Sounds fair, do you want me to give you a list of part numbers?

or are we going to just do a "general guideline" sort of thing and see what they come up with? I mean, aside from the same CPU and monitor, the rest of the parts are relatively standard.

However, you, personally wouldn't have "saved" anything, since you wouldn't have an all-in-one PC. So other than the sake of continuing this argument, I think any "value" left in this proposition is lost on that fact alone.

Sounds fair, do you want me to give you a list of part numbers?

or are we going to just do a "general guideline" sort of thing and see what they come up with? I mean, aside from the same CPU and monitor, the rest of the parts are relatively standard.

Lets do the same Intel processor and graphics card, since we know the exact ones they use in the Mac.
Then lets go with the middle of road for everything else. Are we going to need a Sound Card?

If you would not mind getting model numbers that would be great.

Were going with the Samsung 27inch LED screen, the internals, the case, the labor, mouse +keyboard+speakers, and an operating software. Microsoft?

As for the mouse and key board, i'll ask for the cheapest wireless setup.

Cheap speakers also.

Some things that people do not consider here is how much you may have to pay to replace other equipment that no longer will work with your new computer. I am still using my photo printer and my flatbed scanner that are about 5 years old. They still work in Windows 7 on my new computer. The software updates were free. I am almost certain that at least my printer would not work if I were to buy an Apple Computer running Mac OS 10.7. And people with older but still powerful Apple Computers can forget about upgrading their computers to Mac OS 10.7. If you own a Mac you will be buying new software and hardware on a continuous basis.

I also wonder what effect the Steve Jobs resignation will have on Apple. When Steve Jobs returned to Apple I did not know much about him but I respected him because it seemed like he saved Apple. The more I learned about the guy the less I respected him. But nobody can deny that he was a super salesman and very good with exterior design for computers and other equipment. His replacement to me seems pretty vanilla compared to Jobs.

If Apple comes to be just like any other corporation Apple might lose the cult following.

Anyway, I know a secret, because I used Macs for a long time. The only real difference between Macs and PCs (aside from price) is the operating system. And Windows 7 is a good operating system with excellent hardware and software compatibility. The only other difference is the amount of malware that affects PCs and if Macs were common enough that would probably change.

And with a custom built Windows computer you can get exactly what you want. You don't have to choose between an all-in-one and a super expensive MacPro with nothing in between (desktop computers). With quality components your computer will probably not have the issues that Dell Computers often have.

So that kind of sums up why I changed from Macs to PCs. Not to mention the fact (and it is an honest fact) that I can get superior prints using my PC compared to my iMac. What really counts is what you can do with your computer, not what brand you have or what corporation made it or if it was custom built or not. Since my PC enables me to do good printing and my iMac (even with the latest software updates for the printer) cannot get the job done that seals the deal for me.

The mac mice suck, I don't know what you are talking about.

The "mighty mouse" sucks big time. The scroll ball will be lodged with dust and stop responding after a few months of use. I've thrown away so many of them I've switch back to using 2 button Dell or Microsoft mouse.

The magic mouse on the other hand is a lot better and nice to use for multi touch, but the ergonomics sucks as well. Most people have an arched hand and a flat mouse hurt after using it for 8 hour work days.

Quote:
Some things that people do not consider here is how much you may have to pay to replace other equipment that no longer will work with your new computer. I am still using my photo printer and my flatbed scanner that are about 5 years old. They still work in Windows 7 on my new computer. The software updates were free. I am almost certain that at least my printer would not work if I were to buy an Apple Computer running Mac OS 10.7. And people with older but still powerful Apple Computers can forget about upgrading their computers to Mac OS 10.7. If you own a Mac you will be buying new software and hardware on a continuous basis.

FWIW, my 5+ year old Canon printer/scanner/copier is fully supported in OSX 10.7.

Also, 10.7 will work with any Intel Mac. That takes you back to 2006. 10.6 was also this way, so it's really nothing new. 10.5 was the last version of OSX to support both Power PC and Intel Macs.

Besides, if you're still rocking a Power PC Mac or a Pentium 4 PC, you need a new computer. Seriously. On that topic, if you're still grinding away with a circa-2005 P4-equipped PC, you're not the type to go drop $100+ on a copy of Windows 7.

My Epson printer does not seem to be supported very well by the most recent Mac OS X releases. But my Windows 7 computer seems to support all reasonably recent printers, regardless of brand.

And I don't have an old PC. I have a custom built PC with a very good case and I just have to replace a few components from time to time. And I am running Windows 7 Ultimate which I was able to get for free (Windows 7 upgrade) when I bought Windows Vista Ultimate along with computer components from NewEgg.

I don't care anymore about loyalty to certain brands or to certain corporations. I care about how my computer is able to work for ME. I will use whatever computer operating system and whatever computer hardware that is able to get the job done for me. If that means a computer running some version of Windows or a computer running Mac OS X or a computer running Linux it does not matter. What matters is that I am able to do what I want to do with that equipment. All of the computer software and hardware that exists today will be junk in a few years, regardless if that software and hardware were made by Apple, Microsoft, or whoever. Look at how brands go out of existence like Gateway and HP (HP consumer equipment). What matters in the end are what results you are able to get from your software and hardware.

No cult loyalty for me. I am loyal to myself. When I take photographs and work on them using Photoshop and print out photographs using my Epson photo printer, I care about the photographs. The software and hardware come and go. The software and hardware are just tools to allow you to do what you want to do. Computer software and hardware age rapidly. But I still have photographs I printed out using computers and printers that are long since gone.

Like NickR pointed out Apple computers are made by the same generic manufacturers that make PCs but are yet way more expensive. It all has to do with marketing and looks...and as we can see some people are more than willing to pay for something perceived of a higher quality....whether it is true or not.

I would highly doubt that Apple computers are inherently more reliable than your typical PC. Apple doesn't engineer the CPU, HD, RAM, screen etc.

My younger sister has a Mac Book Pro for college and I don't see what all the buzz really is about... I didn't use the Mac and "see the light." I thought it was way over-priced. A base-line Intel i5, 4GB ram and 320GB HD with a 15" screen cost her $1800 refurbished a few months ago. My Lenovo has rougly the same specs and I got it for $500 after $200 instant rebate and the quality of my Lenovo is just as good as the Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back