Dorman EZ Drain Video Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Dorman EZ Drain for use on my F150 and had some pretty significant initial impressions about it. I paid ~$12 with free shipping from Amazon and had some time to give it a good look-over today.

dscf1123large.jpg

Overall, it appears to be functional, but I believe the design is somewhat crippled, such that Dorman can easily claim that it "does what it does", but I would be hard pressed to say that it would "do the job well". To be fair, I have no problems with Dorman as I regularly use their OEM replacement parts when servicing my vehicle, so this is not a bash at them by any means.

I have not used the Fram Suredrain or Fumoto Valve, so I can't speak comparatively.

I have not yet installed it on my vehicle, but if you take a look at my video review, it might explain why.

I'm curious if certain vehicles have a larger diameter drain plug, which would permit this design to work more reasonably.

I couldn't make it through the entire video... LOL I have not been a big fan of easy drain valves, and not because they don't work as many here have shown they do.. but for me the access combined with the infrequent use just doesn't serve a purpose for me to be any better, faster, or more convenient than the factory drain plug.

The drain hole size looks about the same as my Fumoto, it takes a bit of time to completely drain, but that's no big deal cuz there's always other stuff to do while waiting for that.

I don't like the idea of the sealing O rings that could deteriorate from the acids and/or fuel in dirty oil. And if the stem sticks up into the pan, that's not going to allow all the oil to drain.

The concern I would have (as the video review mentioned....) is the fact that the "drain path" is so small....are the small 90 degree drain paths around the inside of the ez-drain sufficient to ensure that the "sludge" and carbon adequately drain out of the pan?

But yea, the whole idea of the extra springs, gaskets, etc. within this "device" just seems to add more confusion/maintenance to the drain plug area......

And yea, not to mention the possibility of "snagging" on something, is what I'd be afraid of....

We removed the fumoto valves from our fleet trucks due to the restriction they put in the flow of oil. The pan cannot get a full 'flushing' drain like it gets through the original diameter orifice.

This led to build up on the bottom of the sump. There may not be anything detrimental to that, but I didn't like it!

This may or may not apply to your particular application. Just a note from a fellow oil nut.

Have these on a 2000 Sebring and a 2005 Civic. Less necessary on the Civic, because my dipstick tube pump can reach the bottom of the pan and drain basically every drop.

The Sebring dipstick tube is bent at almost a 90 degree angle, so I can't get a full drain through the dipstick tube. Hence the EZ Drain.

The oil does drain slowly, even when the car is properly warmed up. At the end of the first OCI after my initial install, I drained all the oil out through the EZ drain, then removed it to see if anything more came out. Not even a trickle for either car. Maybe 3 drops.

The one on the Sebring has gotten some dirt in the mechanism, so I ordered a new one, which will go on next oil change. I'm a huge fan of these, personally.

Probably had these on these cars for a bit over a year. Maybe 18 months or so. Therefore, I can't speak to their long-term longevity. It's a valid point. Maybe I'll make it a point to replace these once a year. I may replace the one in the Civic with a magnetic plug, then suck out the oil most changes and only remove and clean the magnetic plug once a year or so.

Never had any of the problems I've seen people complain about with the Fumotos, and they're cheap and available on the big book-seller website.

I've never had a problem with removing a simple bolt, letting the oil drain for 5 minutes or so while I replace the filter, and then replacing the bolt. Maybe I don't understand the concept of one of these devices, but it looks like a solution looking for a problem.

Is it really that difficult for people to turn a wrench?

I find it makes collecting the oil easier. When you take off a traditional drain plug, if you're clumsy like myself, you manage to splash oil everywhere, including your forearms, and you need a big, wide pan to catch the oil that splashes everywhere.

With the EZ Drain, I can put my oil collection container, which has a 5 or 6 inch opening under it, (or even an empty 5-qt bottle with a small funnel stuck in the top), open the valve with my fingers, and collect all the oil without dripping any on the driveway.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight...people buy these "quick drain" devices too save time and use of a tool then the oil drains slower out of the small hole? Where is the time saved? Seems to me like there is more negatives than positives. It is postive that you don't need a tool, but the cons are slow draining, may not get all the oil out, and could be broken off by a road hazzard-losing all your oil.

Nope, I'll take a magnetic drain plug and my wrench.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
So let me get this straight...people buy these "quick drain" devices too save time and use of a tool then the oil drains slower out of the small hole? Where is the time saved? Seems to me like there is more negatives than positives. It is postive that you don't need a tool, but the cons are slow draining, may not get all the oil out, and could be broken off by a road hazzard-losing all your oil.

I use the Fumotos for a couple reasons. First off, yes, they do drain slower than if one took a plug out completely. However, I, like others posters, am a klutz when it comes to changing oil. The oil draining slower takes time, but it also takes time for me to fish the drain plug out of the oil or find it and clean it when I dropped it on the dirty floor, or to clean things up when aim was improper, or clean my hands when they get splashed.

Secondly, I change oil on far too many vehicles to remember which size wrenches or even which series, Imperial or metric, to take with me. The vehicles I regularly service had everything from 7/8" to 10 mm. Even when I grabbed a handful of wrenches, I always had to make at least another trip under the car. That takes time, too, and I'm not going to use a crescent wrench, either. Then, oil hands make for oil wrenches, which need to be cleaned.

My experience is that the Fumoto, at least on my applications, lets "all" the oil drain out. Don't forget, though, that no matter what kind of plug you use, you're not going to get all the oil out.

Where I've used them, I have more than enough ground clearance, too. Even the low clearance G will have no issues with the pan orientation and the belly pan.

It's definitely a much slower drain, although if you saw it installed, I think you'd cease fearing it catching on anything.

Also, I tested this as described above, and I'm getting complete drainage. If I didn't, I would have tossed this thing right away.

I guess it's neater for those of us who can't get a normal drain plug off without splashing oil on our forearms and driveways. If those are non-issues, then keep using a wrench.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Nope, I'll take a magnetic drain plug and my wrench.

I have Fram Sure-Drain in my S2000.

Positives:
Change oil without lift the car because I can reach the Sure-Drain and oil filter to top of the engine.
Easy and clean without any drop of oil on the garage floor.
No chance for tripping the drain plug.

Negatives:
Slow drain.
May not drain as much as removing drain plug.

I don't have Sure-Drain on the LS400 because drain plug is at middle of the drain pan facing rearward, can not reach it without lift up the car.

I don't have Sure-Drain on the E430 because it is much easier and faster using fluid extractor.

Last edited:
Well, I can see those points for it, guys. Thank you. It comes down to what works for you.

Personally, my messiest part of any oil change has always been when removing the filter, so I have never seen much use in these quick drain valves. This all depends on the car though as some filter changes are less messy depending on the filter type and location.

Removing and re-installing a normal drain plug is just not that hard to do a few times a year. But a lot of people like these products so it is a good thing that they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back