Oil Capacity For Briggs 8hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-I have a Homelite generator with a Briggs-Stratton 8hp with iron cylinder sleeve.I bought this thing a couple years back and never ran it much but had to during a recent storm..anyway was going to change oil and my Briggs manual states that it holds 3 pints(48 ounces).Well i drained out the old oil and it was up to the oil fill plugs at the bottom of engine and it only contained 28 ounces.It has no dipstick and no higher located oil fill plug so i was wondering if the manual could be wrong concerning oil capacity for this engine.You would literally have to turn it up on its side to get that much oil in it.Just dont want to over fill it and at the same time wanna make sure it has enough.Its model#194412 and type 0106-01.Any info appreciated.David

28 is more like the usual amount for 8HP B&S stuff. That being said, it's hard for me to recommend against the manual... The old manuals used to say to fill it up to the top of the oil fill hole. Going higher than that in the crankcase risks some slapping.

Welcome to the forum.

8 HP OHV Intec it is 28 fl. oz.
8 HP I/C Industrial it is 44 fl. oz.
Hope this helps...

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/support/frequently-asked-questions/~/media/pdf/oil_capacity_chart.ashx

This is a good chart to keep...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back