Mower oil in flat tappet ingine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new 390 engine with an RV cam and stock valve springs and I am looking for a 10w30 oil that
will be good for the flat tappet cam. I have tried Shell 15w40 but it doesnt flow as fast at start up like I want it to. I am unable to find the Shell rotella 10w30 any where,but can get a mower oil that is API SJ. You think this would be a good choice in a 10w30?

Rotella T5 10w-30, Rotella T6 5w-40, Mobil 1 0w-40, Valvoline VR1 racing 10w-30 (don't be fooled, it's just oil with a lot of zddp, not non-detergent oil with a lot of zddp), amongst others.

Of all those the Rotella T5 gets my vote. You should be able to find that at Wal-Mart or some other store around you.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Rotella T5 10w-30, Rotella T6 5w-40, Mobil 1 0w-40, Valvoline VR1 racing 10w-30 (don't be fooled, it's just oil with a lot of zddp, not non-detergent oil with a lot of zddp), amongst others.

Of all those the Rotella T5 gets my vote. You should be able to find that at Wal-Mart or some other store around you.
The only one I can find is the Rotella 5w40 syn, dont want to use use syn in this engine, all others, not sold around here even at Walmart. The Vr1 is only sold in 20w50 or straigt 50 here.

How about Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30? It's a synthetic blend.

Also keep in mind most parts stores can get other oils for you besides what you see in the store. I don't know what stores you have in TX but around here I can get anything I want from Advance Auto Parts, NAPA, etc... Might have to wait a day or two but they order it at store price and don't generally charge shipping.

Originally Posted By: JRed
How about Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30? It's a synthetic blend.

Also keep in mind most parts stores can get other oils for you besides what you see in the store. I don't know what stores you have in TX but around here I can get anything I want from Advance Auto Parts, NAPA, etc... Might have to wait a day or two but they order it at store price and don't generally charge shipping.
I have an Autozone and Orielys. i will call and see about getting the VR1 in a 10w30.

Originally Posted By: porkchop01
i will call and see about getting the VR1 in a 10w30.

Great choice for a flat-tappet engine. Even if it does run stock/low spring pressures I like having that extra insurance.

Rotella would work fine but I would lean towards VR1... In a pinch, you could use Maxlife HM 10W30, because I have used it myself in some of my classic cars.

In TX, I would think the Maxlife HM 10W40(Walmart) may be the right choice for you...

I have tried Shell 15w40 but it doesnt flow as fast at start up like I want it to.

What makes you say that? Just curious...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I have tried Shell 15w40 but it doesnt flow as fast at start up like I want it to.

+1 Are you getting noise at start up?

Make sure it is the conventional VR1. A lot of AAP's (around here anyway) only carry the Synthetic. I Would ask them to get you Rotella 10w30 or just get MaxLife. Shoot, look in the UOA section and on the first 4-5 pages there is a UOA with Pennzoil HM 10w30. That had a good ZDDP level. The UOA was horrible but the guy had a LIM leak or something.

Rotella T5 or T 10W30, Chevron Delo 400 10W30, Valvoline VR1 Racing 10W30 (although that is a full synthetic), or Motorcraft 10W30 Turbo Diesel oil would all work.

What grade is recommended for this engine? I would think some 5w40 t6 rotella would be perfect, some Mobil 1 HM in w/e grade you want, or if you want to order online, Amsoil, or Redline. All going to cover you in the flat tappet category.
DO not get mower oil, or SJ, it is from 4 generations of oil ratings ago. They make new stuff with excellent amounts of ZDDP and moly. Could always go the additive route as well.

If you know anything about the ford FE engine, they have rather poor oiling system. I do get a slight lifter tick at first start untill oil pressure builds but that takes a few seconds using 15w40 and even longer with 20w50. I did the break in using 15w40 plus comp cams break in additive. I called and got some Valvoline VR1 10w30 ordered at Oreilys.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

+1 Are you getting noise at start up?

Make sure it is the conventional VR1. A lot of AAP's (around here anyway) only carry the Synthetic. I Would ask them to get you Rotella 10w30 or just get MaxLife. Shoot, look in the UOA section and on the first 4-5 pages there is a UOA with Pennzoil HM 10w30. That had a good ZDDP level. The UOA was horrible but the guy had a LIM leak or something.

If you know anything about the ford FE engine, they have rather poor oiling system. I do get a slight lifter tick at first start untill oil pressure builds but that takes a few seconds using 15w40 and even longer with 20w50.

Can you go ahead and tell me the year and type vehicle the engine is in? I have a friend
who's an automotive machinist and I'd like to run it by him and see what he says.

I have a stock 360 and substituted 1 quart of oil with 1 quart of Rislone ZDDP additive at my last oil change. This product is available at Advance Auto Parts. The engine performs great and quiet.

If you know anything about the ford FE engine, they have rather poor oiling system. I do get a slight lifter tick at first start untill oil pressure builds but that takes a few seconds using 15w40 and even longer with 20w50.

Can you go ahead and tell me the year and type vehicle the engine is in? I have a friend
who's an automotive machinist and I'd like to run it by him and see what he says.
Its a 1970 F100 and the engine came from a 1970 LTD. Also, I have a straigt 30W oil in it now and at full temp it has about 60psi at 2100 rpm and about 30psi at idle,hot.

60psi at 2100 rpm and about 30psi at idle,hot.

Holy oil pressure, Batman...

it has about 60psi at 2100 rpm and about 30psi at idle,hot.

Which is just about the perfect pressures for a FE...

Its a 1970 F100 and the engine came from a 1970 LTD. Also, I have a straigt 30W oil in it now and at full temp it has about 60psi at 2100 rpm and about 30psi at idle,hot.

I talked to my friend who is a machinist. He said that 390 engines are sensitive to exhaust valve springs. I told him you put an RV cam in and used the stock springs. He said that if the springs don't match the heads and the RV cam, the pushrods will press on the lifters too much and collapse them; making the same sound as a lifter that's not getting enough oil. He also said that he recommends using an oil pump intended for a Checker cab with the 390; they have a higher pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back