Pennzoil High Mileage or Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just run the high mileage every 5k and save the $8 a jug. With the peace of mind that it will help with consumption and leaks.

I normally only drive the truck to and from work which is about 12-15 miles one way. I bought the truck in Feburary and wasn't able to get around to changing the oil til June so I don't know what oil was in there before and between the time I bought it and the time I got the OC it used about a quart and a half and then I took the truck to Wally World TLE and told the guy I wanted Pennzoil High Mileage 10W30 but they put Pennzoil Conventional 5W20 after I got the OC in June I've lost 3 quarts in about 7 weeks and less than 500 miles. I finally changed the oil this morning and just went with Penzzoil HM 10W30 so we'll see how it goes. I should have given more info the first time

Originally Posted By: BigBen
I normally only drive the truck to and from work which is about 12-15 miles one way. I bought the truck in Feburary and wasn't able to get around to changing the oil til June so I don't know what oil was in there before and between the time I bought it and the time I got the OC it used about a quart and a half and then I took the truck to Wally World TLE and told the guy I wanted Pennzoil High Mileage 10W30 but they put Pennzoil Conventional 5W20 after I got the OC in June I've lost 3 quarts in about 7 weeks and less than 500 miles. I finally changed the oil this morning and just went with Penzzoil HM 10W30 so we'll see how it goes. I should have given more info the first time

You asked for 10W-30 and they put 5W-20 in a 1988 truck? Are they crazy? I would of told them to change it to 10W-30 before I left there.

1988 Dodge with a 318, with 80,000+ miles on it, and they put in 5W-20. That might be some of your oil consumption problems right there.

Great old truck. Run the Pennzoil HM 10W-30 and enjoy your truck.

For what it's worth concerning the high mileage seal issue, my rear main leaked almost enough to make a traveling line on my garage floor while using M1HM 10w30. I switched to platinum and after the second interval it's been reduced to almost two drops after being parked. I have no clue why it leaked more on the high mileage.

Originally Posted By: dakota99
For what it's worth concerning the high mileage seal issue, my rear main leaked almost enough to make a traveling line on my garage floor while using M1HM 10w30. I switched to platinum and after the second interval it's been reduced to almost two drops after being parked. I have no clue why it leaked more on the high mileage.

The rear main seal falls under gasket, and depending on its composition, high mileage oils would have no effect. I think your situation is the gasket is failing, and you require a thicker oil that doesn't have a high detergent level. Sometimes a little sludge plugging the hole is a good thing.

Whats interesting is both oils claim high detergent levels. Platinum claims the highest detergents of its product line and competitors. Most people in here agree. You claim after 2 OCIs the leaking slowed with the platinum. I remember years ago people claimed Mobil 1 made seals and gaskets leak, but that was back in the PAO days. Don't hear that anymore.

So the facts are the Mobil 1 can get through the rear main gasket hole where the Pennzoil can't, and your leak is getting plugged somehow over time using platinum. Hmmmm..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back