Carrying loose ammo in pocket question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Ive got a smith and wesson 38 revolver for the home. I live in NJ so getting a CCW is absolutely positively out of the question, I might have to be related to God in order to get one here. I was wondering though, if loose ammo (5-6 rounds) are carried in a jacket pocket, is there any way that they can discharge if I were to fall at a funny angle?

Probably not, but why not use a Safariland speedloader or a speedstrip to hold your extra ammo?

Doesn't seem likely, but there always could be that freak accident. How about 4 rounds, one in each pants pocket so they can't bump into each other?

Ive seen speed strips in the past but never used them, speed loaders are a bit too chunky with pants. Are speedstrips a once a year replacement, or do they last a little longer?

Yep, a speedloader will buldge in a pants pocket (you asked about carry in a jacket pocket) and this is where the speed strip would help..some carry them in a pouch on the belt as well...they're not expensive and come two to a set so you can use one for practice and keep one for business.

I saw this on an episode of the roadrunner and coyote, and believe me when I say the coyote went KaBooM!!

I've got speed strips that are easy 8-10 years old and carried often. Make sure you get the ones made out of rubber instead of the plastic.

A fall with keys in your pocket hitting a primer is less of a chance of going off then you winning the lotto.

Bill

I've seen where the impact of an ejected spent casing detonated the primer in a box of ammo that was sitting on the shooting bench. Sometimes it doesn't take much.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
your absolutely safe carrying them loose in your pocket.

Not absolutely but reasonably safe. There is always an extremely tiny chance of a freak accident and a nomination for a Darwin Award.

What if you had a holder sewn into the inside of your hat, just a strip of elastic, sewn every so far that it holds the rounds snugly.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
your absolutely safe carrying them loose in your pocket.

Agreed, The bullet gathers it's pressure and momentum inside the barrel of a gun. Even if you accidently hit the striker it would just fire the primer, the bullet would not go far and without enough power to hurt you too bad.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I've seen where the impact of an ejected spent casing detonated the primer in a box of ammo that was sitting on the shooting bench. Sometimes it doesn't take much.
Hard to believe !!!

If the gun was really hot and it ejected a spent casing that landed on a box of ammo, coming to rest so that the hottest portion of it rested on a primer, maybe it could have cooked it off? Causing the round to go off from percussion is hard to believe. You really have to hit primers pretty hard to detonate one.

Still, it is pretty hard to believe.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Hard to believe !!!

I guess saying "box" made it sound like the ammo was still in the box. The foam cartridge holder full of cartridges was sitting on the bench. The spent casing struck the primer directly, which detonated it.

The loose ammo per se isn't an issue. It'd just take a long time to fish each on out, and guide it into the chamber. I have not used a speed strip, but it sounds like you would do better with it than a speedloader. You would do yourself a lot of good by getting a set of snap-caps and practicing reloading drills. At least 15 minutes two times a week until you can do it without looking at your hands (much like when you tie your shoes). I have speedloaders, and I'm not yet fast enough for my satisfaction.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Must have been a really soft primer!

Pistol primers are quite soft compared to rifle primers. You could see a semicircle indent in the primer where the rim of the spent case hit it. It wasn't very deep at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back