Quaker State QS4386, 8k miles, 7 months, cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Quaker State QS4386 ($2 from Menards) taken off of a 2005 Suzuki Aerio. Running QSUD 5w30. The 8300 mile OCI was not planned, it was not my car and lost track of the mileage. As said in the subject, filter was on for 7 months. Everything looks good as far as I could tell. The one negative was that the ADBV was stiff (to be expected). The filter still held oil, but I wouldn't push the cheap ADBV much farther.

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

The Quaker's I've cut open have been Purolator made. But the bypass valve and baseplate holes don't match the one's I've opened?

Wonder who makes this one?

Quote:
The Quaker's I've cut open have been Purolator made. But the bypass valve and baseplate holes don't match the one's I've opened?

Wonder who makes this one?
The OP's is Purolator made too. The smaller Puro made filters use the 45 adaptor looking bypass, and circular adbv holes. The larger use a coil spring plunger type bypass and sometimes oblong looking holes.

For $2, nothing at all to complain about. Looks good.

It this filter the same size as the spec Puro 14477?

Looks the same as any Purolator Classic that I've seen. The ADBV should be hard since it is made of Nitrile rather than the silicon, which is found on the Purolator Pure 1. I like these Purolator Classic clones since they give great oil flow and good filtration. IMO...These Oil Filters are the Best bang for the buck on the market. I prefer these to the P1.

Looks very good for a 8K, 7 month run with no problems.

I asked because I went to the Puro site and it says the 14477 is ~3.5" long. I couldn't tell if the 4386 was that long. But yeah, many of the Puro 'made for' filters are going to the shorter size in several applications.

Interesting they use the Fram numbering system just like the old, now discontinued Advance Auto Total Grip (texture) filter, also made by Purolator. fwiw, Just put my last AAP TG 7317(14610) on a vehicle yesterday. That was a good value filter too.

I found the numbering odd too. Looks like a good value here as well....$6.99 at CTC, on sale a week or so ago for $4.49 I think. A good filter for less than a Fram is rare in these parts.

I like to use an oversize filter in my T4R and usually order the filter size for a 2001 Ford Windstar. This oversize gives me more filtering capacity and also allow me to add a little more oil to the sump at the OC. The spec's on the oversize filter are all the same as in the OEM size except for the length....which is about 50% longer in length.

I've used these same oversize filters on other Toyota's. The Camry, Corolla and the Prius will also take these oversize filters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back